Menu

Following Puerto Rico referendum

So now that the election is over, whose kids have gotten interested in potentially watching the US add its 51st state? DS11 is now reading the history of Puerto Rico and its standing with the US, and trying to work out why they voted to move forward with voting on statehood vs standing pat so overwhelmingly over independence, and on how a territory can become a state.

Ok, so after reading several reports, I don't think it's going to happen. I think voting out the Governor who was pro-statehood speaks volumes. The Huffington post had a bit more info on the results of that vote than other sources, and I don't think the majority want statehood. I think in order for Congress to even consider it, PR would need to have another vote. Their ballot seemed to be a bit confusing, as it had two parts, and so many left part two blank.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/07/puerto-rico-statehood-vote_n_2088254.html

Unless things have changed in P.R., the advantage to residents of Puerto Rico of Statehood would be: (a) They would be able to vote for the U.S. President and (b) They would have 2 U.S. Senators and at least 1 U.S. Congressman/Congresswoman.

The disadvantages would be economic. Unless the situation has changed, all taxes paid in Puerto Rico stay in Puerto Rico and the Commonwealth receives $ from Washington, D.C.

If P.R. became a state, they would lose a lot of money.

Only 6 (?) % of the people voted for Independence. My belief is they will decide to remain a Commonwealth. They are U.S. Citizens, they serve in the U.S. Military, etc.

Unless things have changed in P.R., the advantage to residents of Puerto Rico of Statehood would be: (a) They would be able to vote for the U.S. President and (b) They would have 2 U.S. Senators and at least 1 U.S. Congressman/Congresswoman.

The disadvantages would be economic. Unless the situation has changed, all taxes paid in Puerto Rico stay in Puerto Rico and the Commonwealth receives $ from Washington, D.C.

If P.R. became a state, they would lose a lot of money.

Only 6 (?) % of the people voted for Independence. My belief is they will decide to remain a Commonwealth. They are U.S. Citizens, they serve in the U.S. Military, etc.

:iagree:

But, I still want to know where the 51st star would go on the American flag!!! What type of redesign would that require? I want to KNOW!!!!

:iagree:

But, I still want to know where the 51st star would go on the American flag!!! What type of redesign would that require? I want to KNOW!!!!

You're not alone-- there are designs out there, one has a circle of stars which looks kind of interesting.

Most likely, they would just move them around a bit, and it would probably look something like this:

us-51st.gif

You're not alone-- there are designs out there, one has a circle of stars which looks kind of interesting.

Most likely, they would just move them around a bit, and it would probably look something like this:

us-51st.gif

:DWow! Thanks! That isn't so bad. My mind had something hideous!!

Should have used Google....:blushing:

They would vote Democratic. Therefore I can't believe it will happen for the same reason I won't be allowed to live in a state any time soon. Politics, plain and simple.

The funding is important, but many of us still value the right to vote. And not having it gives you a different perspective on living here in this country.

Whatever. :001_rolleyes:

Finance is finance.

Military strategy is military strategy.

When I was in basic training, there was a guy from the Puerto Rico Air National Guard in my group. Like military personnel from the 50 states, those from Puerto Rico can die or be severely injured, while in the U.S. Military.

I have a friend in Puerto Rico. I need to send him an email and get his opinion on statehood. My guess is he voted "no", but I'm assuming.

When I was in basic training, there was a guy from the Puerto Rico Air National Guard in my group. Like military personnel from the 50 states, those from Puerto Rico can die or be severely injured, while in the U.S. Military.

I have a friend in Puerto Rico. I need to send him an email and get his opinion on statehood. My guess is he voted "no", but I'm assuming.

I have no idea why you quoted me. I didn't say they didn't serve in the military nor did I say they were somehow expendable.

They are better off not being a state. *shrug*