Menu

Math notebooks / paper

It looks like we will soon be moving to a math that is not in workbook form, for the first time. If this is your situation, what do you have your dc write on? Lined or unlined? Looseleaf? Notebook (if so, top spiral or side?)? Quadrille notebook? If you have anything specific to suggest that is more than just having a ream of lined paper available, a link would be appreciated.

This probably sounds silly, but ds has a tendency toward dysgraphia, so it may matter a lot, and I think the more this next middle school math level starts out on the right foot, the better.

Spiral notebook, graph paper. We prefer the largest format we can find, slightly larger than letter size. We find graph paper works much better than lined paper for keeping equations aligned and neat, thus reducing careless mistakes.

:iagree:

My older kids all use graph paper.

My 9 yo (doing pretty advanced math for his age) will only use my ipad for scratch paper :001_huh: the program is called Bamboo Paper. but at least the last time, he did a new page for each problem and did it while i was busy, so I could still come and look at his work

my older son, for some reason, got in the habit of using those black-and-white composition notebooks, but cheap spirals are also ok with him. when he needs graph paper i just print it from a graph paper generator. i have heard that graph paper is good for keeping things neat, though.

Another vote for graph paper :-) It seems to help a lot with neatness, lining up columns of numbers, and any sort of diagram or graph. We buy ours at Target - http://www.target.com/p/100-sheet-quad-composition-notebook/-/A-13313623#prodSlot=medium_1_2 They are normally $2 a notebook, but often go on sale in the back to school sales for 80 cents, and we stock up then. Not all the Targets in our area carry these year-round, so you might call your store and check.

I prefer graph paper generally, but have had difficulty finding squares large enough for ds and with light enough blue ink for the lines. Where the lines are too dark or gray, ds had trouble distinguishing his pencil marks from the lines.

For now we use regular wide-ruled notebook paper and only use the graph paper for graphs, until I find some graph paper that I like. One of these days I might try printing some.

Thank you to everyone! Sounds like graph paper notebook wins.

Spiral notebook, graph paper. We prefer the largest format we can find, slightly larger than letter size. We find graph paper works much better than lined paper for keeping equations aligned and neat, thus reducing careless mistakes.

If you are in USA, where do you find these?

:iagree:This is the format we use now. At first my DC balked at using graph paper, but now they can't imagine using anything else. The reduction in simple computation mistakes has been amazing.

If you are in USA, where do you find these?

We get these: Mead Five Star Graph lined spiral notebooks:

http://www.officemax.com/office-supplies/notebooks-pads/spiral-notebooks/product-ARS21316

Walmart has them - at least during the back-to-school sales - for about $3.80, and I stock up for the whole school year then.

Pricier than the smaller ones, but the larger size and the better durability make it money well spent.

You all have encouraged me to look around a bit for the size of graph paper I want (1/4 inch is too small). FWIW, I came across a store that sells reams, pads and spiral notebooks, and you can select the size of the grid (1 cm, half-inch, etc.). I can't see how much shipping is just yet, and it seems they require a $20 minimum order...

You all have encouraged me to look around a bit for the size of graph paper I want (1/4 inch is too small). FWIW, I came across a store that sells reams, pads and spiral notebooks, and you can select the size of the grid (1 cm, half-inch, etc.). I can't see how much shipping is just yet, and it seems they require a $20 minimum order...

That is interesting too. 1/4" is pretty small for ds too--what size do you think would be ideal?

My older dd uses a notebook, but she is neat. My younger dd must use graph paper. I made my own with microsoft excel, because I wanted the box to be a little longer (and only a tad wider) for her larger handwriting. I also wanted it light blue, so the boxes wouldn't overwhelm her work. It has made a difference in her ability to see what she's doing, so it was worth it.

:iagree:

All four of my younger children now use graph paper for math.

We really like the Cambridge brand graph paper notebook:

Higher priced but the squares are not dark and the paper is of good quality.

We also really like this one (non spiral) but it's too expensive to use for everyday math. I treat DS to one or two a year for his fun math explorations.

I just received the Cambridge notebook yesterday. I like that it's spiral and of good quality. I didn't think about the ink color, but I see now that something that is medium color is best.

Next time, I'm going to try a larger version, I think the one that is about 9x11, but the TOPS brand is about $20 at the moment. :001_huh: