Menu

Went to get DS's blood test yesterday..did not go well...help

So tell me someone else has heard of this. PLEASE

DS (oldest) was supposed to have blood work done yesterday. I told the DR that they have a VERY hard time sticking him. I'm not exaggerating. Last time he had blood work done, it took them 5 sticks and the last one was in the wrist and he was blue/purple all over and they BARELY got enough to do the test.

So I called ahead to the new lab, since we moved. I talked to a very nice lady, said she would take her time since she understood he now has anxiety about this (he didn't before) and he is my anxious child anyway.

She, like others, didn't believe me (I'm just another anxious mom, kwim), TILL I got there..she spent so much time, looking and looking... heating pads, walking (to get blood pumping),took a break to relax, drink MORE water...he was sloshing from all the water.

She and the supervisor could NOT find a vein to stick. They would think they found one and the minute they stick it, it disappears. Almost collapses...

I only let them try 2x and they said they couldn't do it...she said there is a medical term for it but she couldn't remember it at the time.

I and my mom are similar, it did get better when I got older. Still when I go the hospital, they usually stick me several times for IVs etc and sometimes the nurse will look at my arm and say I'm gonna go get xxxx because she/he is the best at sticking. So they can see that I am a "hard stick" as they call it.

Anyone know the term for this...???

The lab actually said let your dr office call us and WE will tell them what is going on. My other 3 kids are fine...I mean they don't LIKE it, but a small cry and it is over with..

Anyone deal with this and what do they do??.. I recall being 5 and going to the hospital to get blood taken (don't recall exactly what they did different, just remeber being there :glare:)

It was a really long day

My dd had bad veins...and was going through cancer treatment.

We try to get our labs done someplace that is good....and that has an ultrasound machine to guide the phlebotamist if needed.... Beyond that, we do a reward system....some small trinket to make the "pokes" worth it.

EMLA cream helps if it doesn't wash out the veins.

I'm a hard stick. With all my recent IVs, they resorted to automatically using the u/s machine to find a vein. It helped so much. It also helped that the guy who did it was on the IV therapy team. He really was very, very good. He commented that my veins are small and very superficial and that that's why it's hard. He said most people probably go right through them, because they push too hard, too fast.

My son is a hard stick. When he was in the hospital, there were only two IV Tx Team people that could do it and one was on the helipad team. We had to schedule bloodwork around them. We do all the above; lots of water, heat, and there is a specific vein that I have noted that is our best bet. We also use a special patch but I have not idea what is was called. The last time he was stuck about 3 or 4 years ago, it was still new but it was like a miracle for us.

I am. Not in the same way as your family, but the end result is the same...multiple pokes. They can find the veins but they roll constantly and when they do hit one they blow the vein often, and apparently I have valves in the same places they like to put IVs because they hit them ever single time. I do tight fist, heat pad and they use a butterfly needle to avoid blowing the vein.

:grouphug: I am hard to draw blood from. I know the last time that I had it done (pregnant with dd), I actually fainted once they finally got it. Ugh. I don't know if there's a term for it.

I've never heard of a name for it, but I've always been a hard stick and they've actually asked me to quit trying to donate. They have to use a butterfly needle on me now and it takes forever if they're getting more than one tube, but if they use the bigger needles my veins collapse and I end up with colorful streaks up and down my arms. So sorry for your little guy.

My only advice is probably obvious: first, make sure your ds drinks lots of water for hours beforehand. Second, consider getting the blood drawn at your local children's hospital, though to some extent I think that the personal talent (and I do believe it's at least as much talent as skill) is the luck of the draw with whatever phlebotomist you end up with. You might be equally lucky/unlucky with the children's hospital phlebotomist as with the random lab phlebotomist. I'd shoot for more experienced. I know what it's like to come home with a kid full of pokes for a simple blood draw.

Thanks everyone, I will ask about a prescription cream. maybe if he didn't feel it he wouldn't care as much, but now he is so anxious, I don't know if that will solve it.

If anyone knows what that patch is that wendygrace mentioned, that would be great! I"m gonna call and talk to his office about what to do later today.

Any other ideas??

We already promised a toy he wants, but if THEY can't find a vein, it doesn't matter, kwim...?? This is not about he won't , this is they can't...

Thanks everyone, I will ask about a prescription cream. maybe if he didn't feel it he wouldn't care as much, but now he is so anxious, I don't know if that will solve it.

If anyone knows what that patch is that wendygrace mentioned, that would be great! I"m gonna call and talk to his office about what to do later today.

Any other ideas??

We already promised a toy he wants, but if THEY can't find a vein, it doesn't matter, kwim...?? This is not about he won't , this is they can't...

It's probably EMLA or ELMA (or something like that :tongue_smilie:)

I strongly recommend making sure he's very well hydrated prior to the attempted blood draw.

I would recommend the local children's hospital too. See if your doctor can call ahead and ask someone from NICU or PICU to come down and do the poke. (I've read of some parents doing this in the Down syndrome community because our kids can be very hard pokes too as most everything about them tends to be extra small.) I made the mistake the last time dd had to be poked (every 6 months, roughly) of going to the lab at the doctor's office instead of driving across town. They were so sweet and tried so hard, but I still ended up with a crying baby and having to go cross town to the hospital/children's hospital.

I am very hard to stick. The only veins that ever work are in my hands (yuck). I needed an IV last month and they were able to find a vein in the backside of my lower arm - mega ouch there-.

You need a tech who can 'think outside the box' when looking for veins. Also, I NEVER EVER watch what they are doing. I either bring a book to read, my Nook/Kindle/Phone etc. They know I'm not being rude :001_smile:

Once I found a good lab, I kept them. I know you just moved, but I will drive across down for my lab!

I'm a hard stick. With all my recent IVs, they resorted to automatically using the u/s machine to find a vein. It helped so much. It also helped that the guy who did it was on the IV therapy team. He really was very, very good. He commented that my veins are small and very superficial and that that's why it's hard. He said most people probably go right through them, because they push too hard, too fast.

Is the ultrasound a special kind? I wonder if anyone can request this? But of course moms don't know what is best and are always too over protective and shoukd blindly trust the medical professionals.:glare:

OP: Yes. Dd12 is like this. She was hospitalized for four days in July due to severe dehydration from a virus. Finding a vein for the IV was awful, awful, awful, awful, awful. It is the first time EVER she had a breakdown over it.

If she is having blood drawn, she always over hydrates. This helps SO much.

I'm a hard stick. I've found that you have to say you're a hard stick and ask for a butterfly needle. Butterfly needles are smaller and they are less painful, but what really matters is the skill of the person drawing the blood. DD is also starting to look like a hard stick and even in the Children's Hospital she has a hard time. Luckily my veins don't collapse too often - it's the finding them that's tough with me. Apparently I have the tiniest veins in the history of the known world.:tongue_smilie:

Poor little guy!

My ds, 13, went through this a few months ago. They couldn't get the vein, then they did, then they couldn't get enough blood from him, so tried to stick him again and kept missing the vein. It was awful! We were both so upset, we had to stop and come back on a different day. They had enough nerve to charge me $10 for the venipuncture even though my insurance is supposed to pay for it.

The doctor ended up having enough to run the tests, but one of his labs came back high, so she wanted another run a few months later.

So, I made an appointment, asking for their best person. I was told it was Jessica. We got there, waited about 10 minutes, then Jessica came out. It was the same gal as the first time! I almost left, but we gave it a shot & it went much better. Don't understand the difference.

I have been stuck many times with no problems, but I can think of 2x that the phlebotomist had a hard time. Once was while I was in labor. They ended up sticking me in my hand. Another time I was going to donate platelets & the woman stuck me all over to no avail & I started to faint. I am not squeemish either. Never did know what the problem was. So I don't know if sometimes I'm a hard stick or it was just the phlebotomist.

All I can say is lots of water, but you already did that, and ask for a butterfly & ask them to try the hand. Sometimes the hand is easier.

Is the ultrasound a special kind? I wonder if anyone can request this? But of course moms don't know what is best and are always too over protective and shoukd blindly trust the medical professionals.:glare:

OP: Yes. Dd12 is like this. She was hospitalized for four days in July due to severe dehydration from a virus. Finding a vein for the IV was awful, awful, awful, awful, awful. It is the first time EVER she had a breakdown over it.

If she is having blood drawn, she always over hydrates. This helps SO much.

Nope (at least I don't think so), it's just a little portable machine. Like I said, they had an "IV Therapy" team at the hospital and that's who they called in to do the u/s and place the IVs. I would definitely ask about it! I don't know why one couldn't. I had never been afraid of IVs/needles prior to this experience.....it was just awful. The IV Therapy guy made it a lot easier.

My father, me and my kids all have this problem.

I have heard it call floating veins.

My father had Parkinsons and was on medicine considered "experimental" and needed blood taken every 2 weeks. He was bed ridden and my mother banished all but one of the visiting nurses who was allowed to take blood from him. It was a man with giant hands who was gentle as could be and could do it on the first try.

You should talk to your doctor and see if he knows a lab where they will be more willing to work with your son and will take their time to get it right the first time.

It is so painful when they start digging around with that needle. They can also find veins in your feet and in your hand if none appear in your arms.

I believe they are calling the patch "Synera". It both numbs and warms. The creams just didn't do it well enough. I think the warming, and the hydration are the keys to finding good veins for draws. My son would usually get three patches, one for each vein that was a possibility, so they didn't have to keep waiting 20 minutes if the first didn't work. Also, only two tries per site. The vein that always looks nice and big and perfect, never works on him. I refuse to let them even try now. It immediately collapses as soon as the needle hits the skin. The one that works best is this teeny tiny one that he has on the top of his hand next to this bone. It's the tiniest little vein but its the one that nearly always gives us bucketfuls of blood.

Edited by wendygrace

Thanks everyone! Waiting for a call back from DR

We'll see if we are going to get some cream or patch, or head to the hospital or both.

Nearest children's hospital is 45m-1hr, and not sure my HMO would let us go there.

Hope the hmo will let us go to the hospital at this point vs. the lab again.

I wouldn't press for these labs, it is annual checkup, but DH is worried b/c DS has grown out more than up this year... He has been 95%+ since birth on both, but last visit went to 75% on height and over 99% on weight. He is almost 9 and both sides of the family have guys who are broad shouldered and big build and tall (6'2" plus), so I think he is headed that way...I can't even wrap my thumb and longest finger around his wrist bones! And he does treadmill at home daily for 30-45 min plus play outside..so I'm thinking it's a growth thing. He has grown 3 inches since end of August.

But DS (who has always wanted to be an inventor) is now thinking he will work on inventing a machine that scans you or the like to "test" your blood and gives instant results... so we may have decided on a future in bio-tech lol

My daughter has this problem as well, hers are tiny, twisty, move and hide. She also has a chronic disease that requires weekly blood draws and twice a month IV meds. Some weeks are awful but finally we seem to have found a vein that works for her. One week we had five nurses working to find a useable vein and her arms were covered with the cream.

We do use EMLA only down side is it takes 20 to 30 minutes to act then if where you put it doesn't end up having a useable vein you have to look elsewhere. There is also a "freezy spray" that helps a bit. They have also used a flashlight to see the veins. Hydrating the day before and drinking on way to lab helps.

Now that they know your ds is a hard draw maybe they will send the best. I found the lab techs are usually pretty good. Dd actually goes to children's hospital outpatient center and after a treatment she usually gets a prize of gift cards, crafts etc.

Splash---have you ever considered getting a port for her? Seriously, it was a lifesaver for us.

I am on hospital bedrest right now and have a 18 gauge iv in in case I need a blood transfusion. I am afraid to lose this line because i know it's my only good vein (in my arm). Our next game plan is to call in iv therapy--the ultrasound machine really does help.

Doctor and I have discussed it but it would put limits on her that we'd like to avoid right now. That and the risk of infection. As long as she can tolerate it we will continue with the weekly sticks. My daughter says that is what she'd prefer. In the hospital she had a catheter in her neck for dialysis and one in her groin for her medications and an arterial line in her arm for blood draws. She was so happy to get them all out. It makes her feel less sick. She has only just been home 5 weeks now and was "healthy" until end of August so all this is new to us. We are still adjusting to the fact that she does have a life threatening chronic disease and all it entails. For her feeling healthy and normal is the goal.

Thanks though, I will keep it in mind if the sticks get bad again.

Kimberly

The cream and the patch are basically the same thing. (and have the same med) The cream works fine. My mom puts it on and then uses the plastic wrap that just sticks on things... to put over her arm...

:iagree:

They also have a spray too.

I ditto the recommendation to get someone from ICU or NICU to draw the blood, if one cannot go to a Children's Hospital. I'm a weak (hard stick) draw myself... over the years, I finally know the "sweet spot" on my right arm to tell the phlebotomist where to stick. Only 3 times in the last 9 years did I encounter one who doubted me and drew blood from the other arm... only to go what I call "deep sea fishing". With bruises a day later. OUCH. ;)

Then they try my first recommendation and go, "Hey! You were right." :glare:

Doctor and I have discussed it but it would put limits on her that we'd like to avoid right now. That and the risk of infection. As long as she can tolerate it we will continue with the weekly sticks. My daughter says that is what she'd prefer. In the hospital she had a catheter in her neck for dialysis and one in her groin for her medications and an arterial line in her arm for blood draws. She was so happy to get them all out. It makes her feel less sick. She has only just been home 5 weeks now and was "healthy" until end of August so all this is new to us. We are still adjusting to the fact that she does have a life threatening chronic disease and all it entails. For her feeling healthy and normal is the goal.

Thanks though, I will keep it in mind if the sticks get bad again.

Kimberly

:grouphug::grouphug:

Many little ones in our rare liver disease group have to go thru this with ports and the risk of infection. I'm glad your ds is doing good.