Menu

Science isn't getting done for us.

Peplophoros

With a toddler and a non-napping baby in the house we just can't get the experiments done. Is there a curriculum my DS (1st/2nd grade) can just read (he's capable of reading up to 4th-5th gr. level)?

Can I just have him read our Kingfisher science encyclopedia? Any schedule out there I should look at?

We just do library books. Just yesterday, DS2 drew all the layers of the ocean from memory, complete with examples of the animals found in each layer. *I* can't remember that stuff. :lol:

We rarely do experiments. They haven't been necessary for my kids. When they're older and can do them by themselves, they can do more. At this age, it's more "demonstrations by mom", which I find to be rather pointless for us. My kids learn more from reading than they do from watching me do a demonstration. :tongue_smilie:

wow, had no idea there was an audio version!

thanks so much!

science isn't getting done much here either. It's mostly books and videos with a tiny bit of online stuff.

There really isn't an official audio version. But my husband made a recording of "Life Science" and Mr. Q (Scott) gave me permission to share it. I also have a recording of "Earth Science" but I am not allowed to share it because Mr. Q doesn't offer that version for free.

I had been doing Evan-Moor Daily Science and DVDs.

I think I'm switching to What Your ... Grader Needs to Know, since I'm planning on using it for other subjects.

But Evan-Moor daily science is a breeze to implement, either as a spine, or as a workbook.

I'd also recommend Evan-Moor Daily Science, as it sounds like your son can read and learn by himself. We do about a week's worth in one day, as the lessons are very short. Then we'll follow up with a Brainpop video.

I also have more involved science programs, but that is our go-to science that gets done every single week.

If you don't mind science from a Christian publisher, I recommend ACSI, especially if you'd like a science text for him to work through independently. My daughter has enjoyed reading through this and there are places for writing "journal" entries about the different units (as well as easy experiments, fill-in-the-blanks, coloring pages, etc.)

http://www.christianbook.com/acsi-science-student-book-grade-1/9781583312032/pd/2727503

Another vote for Mr. Q (without the experiments) and EM Daily Science (a few levels ahead), library books (e.g., I Wonder Why, Cat in the Hat's Learning Library, Is That a Fact, Robert E Wells), videos (Schlessinger has tooooons of awesome video programs you might be able to get through the library, plus the standard Magic School Bus, Mr. Wizard, Beakman's World, etc.), and tools for self play (e.g., magnifying glasses, microscopes, journals, scales, etc.).

Well, if you're going to have him just read (which I think is a fine option), I wouldn't have him read the Kingfisher. Mr. Q is okay, but I think the just reading option works best by far with living books. So if you have a good library, I would go and just start raiding the 500's (science in Dewey-speak).

A few we've liked that might be at his reading and interest level include:

*all the Seymour Simon books on earth science

*Car Science by Richard Hammond

*Can You Feel the Force by Richard Hammond

*Owen and Mzee

*Hidden Worlds by Stephen Kramer

*Koko's Kitten

*Ancient Ones by Barbara Bash

*A Drop of Water by Walter Wick

I could probably go on forever, but you get the idea - we just find things and check it out. We also really like the Basher Books for science. They're quite fun.

EM Daily Science Grade One, is at a low READING level, but covers important science concepts is a simple way. Don't let the low reading level, short lessons and ease of use, fool you into thinking that major science concepts are not being covered. This is one of the most efficient curricula I have ever seen. It's the only EM daily workbook I like, so it's not that I am a daily workbook fan. I just like the SCIENCE workbooks. The others aren't bad, and I know others like them, but I'm not impressed with them as being superior to lots of other things.

There really isn't a need to skip grades in this curricula, just to get to where it looks hard. In fact there is much to be gained by zipping through grade one, even for much older students. Just because something is easy doesn't mean the student (and teacher) is not learning a LOT.

what about this?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/155799854X/ref=s9_simh_gw_p14_d0_i5?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1PBQFS7RRVXBQYJ10QM0&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1389517282&pf_rd_i=507846

I really liked Mr Q. My son was ok with it, but I have to print the worksheets. Seems simple but my printer uses ink so fast, right now it is all out and I can't find anymore. No one in town has it so I'm going to have to order it. Who knows when I'll get to that and then it will take a week or so to order it. I'm tired of running out of ink...

Thanks for that link. My library has many titles from this publisher and it's nice to know what to look for in the catalog.

Oh my, I'm so happy I posted this. Between Evan-Moore Daily Science (and I'm also buying Daily Geography...something else that doesn't get done!) and the Schlessinger DVDs, I am totally set! Thanks ladies!!!

:D

These DVDs also have pamphlet sized inserts (ours do, anyway) that include vocabulary, review, and discussion questions. They are AWESOME!

Formal science is hard to get to around here too. (It doesn't help that it's my least favorite subject, so it's even harder to motivate myself to do it when we're busy.)

My kids learn a lot from reading Ranger Rick and Big Backyard. Those things could then spark interest in topics, and then you can check out more books from the library.

If you are still looking for more options to consider, my DD is really enjoying the Sassafras Science Adventures Zoology. It is very independent for her -- she reads the fiction book and I assign her living books to go along (they suggest encyclopedia readings, but she didn't care for those), and she does a couple of notebooking pages per week. Easy and fun! We try also to do some BFSU lessons as a family and other random sciency stuff, but this is something I know will happen because she can get it done on her own.

She did the Evan-Moor "Read and Understand Science" for grades 2-3 last year (which I have no idea how that compares to the "Daily Science" that others recommended.) -- but she thought that was pretty dry and boring.

Library books, documentaries, Beakman's World, a nature book, a microscope, a magnifying glass, a notebook and colored pencils. Add in a timer set for an hour and a cup of coffee for you then tell them to go do science. ;)

Oh yeah, I knew there was another Science show I used to sit them down with. Beakman's World! Lots of good learning there. I also have a whole bookshelf just devoted to sciencey type books.

What age does Mr. Q Life Science work for? Could I use it with an almost-6 year old boy?

Is the boy reading and writing well? I started Life Science when my eldest was a few months shy of 7. While my middle daughter (5.5) could read the material, I don't think she's ready for the level of writing (or even some of the vocab), so we started her on EM Daily Science 3.

(I read the earlier advice about lower levels of Daily Science. Consequently, I'll reconsider levels 1 & 2, they just looked so incredibly easy, at least 1 did if I recall.)

Is the boy reading and writing well? I started Life Science when my eldest was a few months shy of 7. While my middle daughter (5.5) could read the material, I don't think she's ready for the level of writing (or even some of the vocab), so we started her on EM Daily Science 3.

(I read the earlier advice about lower levels of Daily Science. Consequently, I'll reconsider levels 1 & 2, they just looked so incredibly easy, at least 1 did if I recall.)

I found that too that the vocabulary was a bit over my just turned six year old's head. We did the first chapter pretty well but the 2nd chapter I had to explain a LOT. I got tired and my dh's eyes glazed over. So I have put that aside, tho I will let him listen to the audio make of it. He seems to absorb more that way, just listening while he plays then sitting down with me and going over that kind of thing.

I looked over the Daily Science 1 and it was what we did in kindergarten so I'd have to the next level, if I would decide to do that.

If you are still looking for more options to consider, my DD is really enjoying the Sassafras Science Adventures Zoology. It is very independent for her -- she reads the fiction book and I assign her living books to go along (they suggest encyclopedia readings, but she didn't care for those), and she does a couple of notebooking pages per week. Easy and fun! We try also to do some BFSU lessons as a family and other random sciency stuff, but this is something I know will happen because she can get it done on her own.

She did the Evan-Moor "Read and Understand Science" for grades 2-3 last year (which I have no idea how that compares to the "Daily Science" that others recommended.) -- but she thought that was pretty dry and boring.

I second the Sassafrass suggestion- my kids LOVE it!

I ended up using the Core Knowledge outline - free online, I can't link it :P

Is this working? http://www.coreknowledge.org/mimik/mimik_uploads/documents/480/CKFSequence_Rev.pdf

I follow it loosely as a spine for topics, and drag home library books. DD reads, we discuss. She does some written narrations. Also - Bill Nye and Magic Schoolbus DVDs.

I did want to ask- For those using Evan Moor's daily science, is the same content available through Teachers File box?

With a toddler and a napping baby, don't even think of beating yourself up about it!!! I mean it!!!

We have a toddler in the house, and "Official Science" doesn't happen at our house either. I have a curriculum that we have done some experiments from, but not for months and months. Sad, because we are a very science family.

However, kids are learning all the time.

1) We have no set science time in our house, but we read aloud from many, many, many science sources:

--Southwestern Publishing's Science book (think Kingfisher, but probably not as good).

--Magazines: Click, Wild Animal Baby, Big Backyard, National Geographic Little Kids, etc

--Lots and lots and lots of books from the library.

2) Last year, we learned a lot by earning badges for Frontier Girls (similar to Girl Scouts). We did volcanoes, weather of all types, all the major Phyla of the animal kingdom, etc.

3) Trips to the zoo and science center, and discussions of whatever we have seen there...enriched by what we have read or learned at home.

4) LegoEducation products and SnapCircuits are teaching us Engineering and Electricity respectively.

5) Loverboy is THE BEST at just taking the kids out in the yard and exploring. This morning, they came home from exploring the neighbor's field with a 5-gallon bucket of rocks! :lol:

6) My child watches WAYYYYYYYY too much public television. (She is watching it this instant). Wild Kratts, Dinosaur Train, and Fetch with Ruff Ruffman are regular views on her own, but she also wrangles getting to stay up late by professing interest in watching Nature, Nova, and Nova Science Now with me.

As a result, she knows soooooooooooo much more science stuff than if we had solely worked on the established curriculum. Dd5 stuns me all.the. time. with the science concepts that come out her mouth.

I'm sure that if you really sat down and thought about it, you would have a list rivaling what I have listed here.