Menu

Please help me with my baking problem

Every single time I try to make bread, the outside (bottom, sides) burns and the inside is still totally uncooked. Wheat bread, banana bread, pumpkin bread... you name it. Burned and goopy. I am on my third new bread pan and I'm still having the same problem. I always follow the directions exactly and my oven is only 8 years old. I always preheat the oven to the suggested temperature. I don't have problems baking anything else. What on Earth am I doing wrong?

Every single time I try to make bread, the outside (bottom, sides) burns and the inside is still totally uncooked. Wheat bread, banana bread, pumpkin bread... you name it. Burned and goopy. I am on my third new bread pan and I'm still having the same problem. I always follow the directions exactly and my oven is only 8 years old. I always preheat the oven to the suggested temperature. I don't have problems baking anything else. What on Earth am I doing wrong?

What kind of oven do you have?

Have you tried using a baking stone?

Are you using a metal, pyrex or foil bread pan?

I don't get the burn on the outside problem but I do need to leave my pyrex pan longer in the oven to bake else the inside is gooey. I also put some toothpicks into the bread before baking. I find the metal foil non-reusable bread pan easiest to get an even bake.

What kind of oven do you have?

Have you tried using a baking stone?

A Frigidaire electric. (We are all-electric here, no gas.)

I've never tried a baking stone, but I will definitely check it out. That won't help with the banana/pumpkin type breads, though, right?

A Frigidaire electric. (We are all-electric here, no gas.)

I've never tried a baking stone, but I will definitely check it out. That won't help with the banana/pumpkin type breads, though, right?

I agree with others, your oven may be too hot. It is also possible that your oven rack position is the problem. You might experiment with both. Good Luck!

We love baking stones here for pretty much everything except quick bread type recipes (ie banana, pumpkin, cranberry etc).

I always have good luck putting bread in a cold oven instead of preheating it first (at least yeast bread). And starting at a lower temperature and then raising it just at the end to brown it after it's mostly cooked through.

That's a good idea. I will try that.

Are you using a metal, pyrex or foil bread pan?

I don't get the burn on the outside problem but I do need to leave my pyrex pan longer in the oven to bake else the inside is gooey. I also put some toothpicks into the bread before baking. I find the metal foil non-reusable bread pan easiest to get an even bake.

I've always used a metal or pyrex pan. I could try the foil.

Usually if you are burning the outside and the inside is undercooked, the oven is too hot. I would suggest lowering the temp on the oven by 50 degrees and trying that.

Good idea. Thank you!

Have you tried cutting back the temp? Your oven may run hot.

That, or your recipe is for twice as many loaves as you are forming?

I'd guess too hot a temp. What are you baking them at? An oven thermometer is a good idea.

Today I just tried to make this: http://javacupcake.com/2012/09/pumpkin-chocolate-chip-bread/ The recipe said it was for 1 loaf so I put it all in 1 pan and baked it at 350.

Ugh. Sorry I'm totally clueless in the bread department, everyone!

Nope, I bet the problem is your oven temp. They can go off over time. When we first moved into this house, I was completely mystified by the ancient oven. Turns out it leaks heat so badly it needs to be bumped up by 75 degrees :glare: Nice in the winter, not so nice in the summer!

Spend a few dollars on an oven thermometer at Bed Bath & Beyond. It will save you lots of guessing and waste of ingredients. We have one like this that hangs from the rack in the center of the oven. Very helpful.

That's a good idea. I will try that.

I've always used a metal or pyrex pan. I could try the foil.

Good idea. Thank you!

Today I just tried to make this: http://javacupcake.com/2012/09/pumpkin-chocolate-chip-bread/ The recipe said it was for 1 loaf so I put it all in 1 pan and baked it at 350.

Ugh. Sorry I'm totally clueless in the bread department, everyone!

Oh man, that looks really good :( No, what you're experiencing isn't normal for quick breads at all. It's not you, it's your tools :tongue_smilie:

Nope, I bet the problem is your oven temp. They can go off over time. When we first moved into this house, I was completely mystified by the ancient oven. Turns out it leaks heat so badly it needs to be bumped up by 75 degrees :glare: Nice in the winter, not so nice in the summer!

Spend a few dollars on an oven thermometer at Bed Bath & Beyond. It will save you lots of guessing and waste of ingredients. We have one like this that hangs from the rack in the center of the oven. Very helpful.

Thank you! Now that I see a pic of it, I have seen those before. I guess I just never knew why someone would need an oven thermometer when ovens have a digital thermometer setting. Apparently the readout on the outside of the oven is not always correct! I will definitely be getting one of those asap. Come to think of it, I often cook things for slightly less than the recommended amount of time so I'm sure it has to be a "hot oven" problem.

Also, where are you? Elevations can make a real difference.

I'm in a low river valley (300 ft) so I don't think elevation would be a issue. Great thinking, though. I should have mentioned that elevation was probably not a factor in my OP.