Menu

Kindergarten - tell me I'm doing enough

Mommie_Jen

I know I am. It just doesn't feel like it. And I constantly fight the inner "I should be doing more" voice.

After breakfast I read a Bible story, a random library book, and a book going along with our weekly theme (MFW K). Then B will read me a few Bob books or easy readers I have on the iPad. Then we spend about an hour or so doing ETC, Singapore EM, and handwriting. Then the boys generally play or watch a Netflix show for a bit before lunch.

After lunch we do our MFW K lesson. I use it very loosely - more of a weekly guide of topics to cover. Short lesson, library books on subject, a small craft or activity a few times a week.

Then it's general mayhem caused by 2 little boys for the rest of the day until dinner. That's our day generally every day unless we have co-op (twice a month) or run to the library.

So how do I tame the competitive voices in my head??

Yes, it's enough! Particularly with a young kindergartener and a boy (not to stereotype, but in general). Sounds like you're hitting all the major points—learning to read, math, and lots of read alouds. Kindergarten here doesn't even start until after they turn six. We didn't do official handwriting that early either.

It does only take a short time to do school at that age. You and your boys should enjoy the rest of the day, learning and growing as they just play and live life!

Erica in OR

Does MFW cover science/nature? I ask because my K boy loves our science, and it is a way to do fun activities that will keep them occupied in a good way. Nature walks and simple science demonstrations would be the only thing I would add. When my K boy finishes his work but his big brother is still working, I will let him go to the starfall website and play around.

Does MFW cover science/nature? I ask because my K boy loves our science, and it is a way to do fun activities that will keep them occupied in a good way. Nature walks and simple science demonstrations would be the only thing I would add. When my K boy finishes his work but his big brother is still working, I will let him go to the starfall website and play around.

It does cover nature, actually the activity guide is a weekly nature lesson. This week is nests, so we've been reading about bird nests and different kinds of animal homes, we dug up dirt from the garden to make mud and tried to make a nest of our own, etc. It's very low key.

Starfall is used a lot around here too!:D

It's enough. It's enough. It's enough.

Here's what I'm doing with our kindy boy ---

Five in a Row -- We usually do the geography and culture, language arts (like onomatopoeia, similes, personification kind of lessons), art projects, science (read about the animal in the story, etc), and a cooking project that goes along with the story.

Math-U-See Alpha

Handwriting without Tears

Reading lessons

He also listens in on the Mystery of History lesson in the evenings, and draws a picture from the reading and I write a one sentence narration on the picture.

He is my third child, and my second to homeschool in K. I think its enough. I think I pushed my second child in K too much, to keep up with her 2nd grade brother. I like keeping it simple and not exhausting for a little guy.

In my opinion, kindergarten should be short lessons of phonics, handwriting, and math. (Short as in 10 minutes.) Read aloud time should be part of the day (even if done as bedtime stories). Anything extra is just that... extra.

So, I'd say everything for K should be done in 45 minutes to an hour.

In my opinion, kindergarten should be short lessons of phonics, handwriting, and math. (Short as in 10 minutes.) Read aloud time should be part of the day (even if done as bedtime stories). Anything extra is just that... extra.

So, I'd say everything for K should be done in 45 minutes to an hour.

:iagree: we do Handwriting Without Tears, ETC 1, Horizons math K, and OPGTR. We read aloud a lot. She sits in on her older siblings science and history (helps with experiments, does history coloring pages, etc). I don't do a formal science or history with her though. The rest of our school time she will color, "read" books, do puzzles, etc.

I think you are doing plenty. It really doesn't take that long for kindergarten. I feel science/history is just exposure at this age. They aren't going to really grasp it all, but exposure is great. My main focus is the 3 r's and you sound great there. :)

Of course, with 3 older kids...my kindy gets whatever left over energy I have.

I'm very goal-oriented, so what I went into K with was an idea of what I wanted by the end. I wanted her to start grade one having gone through phonics at least once and (ideally) to be reading, and to have her earlier math facts down. Everything else -- worksheets, drills, whatever -- those were all just means to an end.

So what are your goals? If what you're doing is getting you to where you want to be, then there's no reason to cut a thing. If it isn't, then I can see a reason to move things around.

Sounds fine to me. Here's what I'm doing with our 5-in-August kindergartener:

10-15 minutes of OPGTR (usually 2 review lessons and 1 new lesson)

10 minutes of handwriting (about 2 pages in Zaner-Bloser kindergarten)

30-40 minutes of Saxon Math 1 (enough for one lesson, review of a set of math facts, a drill sheet, and one side of the day's worksheet)

Other than that, we read some stories, listen to a chapter in an audiobook, read a BOB book or two, and play. In a few weeks, we're going to start Spelling Workout A and we'll cover that for about 10 minutes per day. I've purchased the first year of our chosen history and science programs and I'm slowly accumulating the books for them, but I'm in no rush to start them. We may end up waiting until he turns 6 so that we can keep focused on the basics.

that's way more than we are doing right now! we're doing phonics, outloud reading, and memorization. Plan on adding something else this winter, and probably math in the spring. it sounds like you have a very good day planned out. I'd like to do more and be more organized but with the baby added in, i'm a mess. So simple and slowly for us. I have a young 5 (june b-day) so I feel okay about that.

I feel like a broken record but I'll say it again and agree with some of the previous posters.

Keep K simple. I have boys. Simple is better. Reading, writing, and early numbers rule the day here. Once your dc's are reading fluently, let them read science and history books on a delight-driven basis. You have 12 more years to structure their days. Kinder days should only take an hour if that.