Menu

Talk to me about bedding...

Bud just came home from San Francisco where he was able to stay at the Mark Hopkins. The first thing he said was that the funds are approved for new bedding. What he described was simiilar to the Westin's Heavenly Bed, so I got online to order the set.

Yeah, when he said the funds were approved, he wasn't expecting $3000! :eek:

So, tell me what I should look for and where I should look for it. We already have a nice pillow top mattress, so we're covered there.

Thanks!

New sheets that are of a respectable thread count can be found cheaply at places like TJMaxx. I don't know if you have those available. If you don't, department stores have excellent sales on sheets and bedding. However, if by bedding you meant new mattresses, I would say the box stores are probably best for that. Good luck, nice to know your DH has finally seen the light. hehe.:)

I just LOVE our Egyptian Cotton sheets! 400 thread count or higher. They are so soft! We have a queen set and I think the set was around $50. I'm pretty sure you can find these anywhere, maybe even Target. I think ours came from J.C. Penny or Carsons. {MIL bought them for us!}

I am definitely sticking with Egyptian cotton and want to buy a second set! :)

We had a similar experience and went on a bedding hunt a few years ago: Down blanket (from Sams - it was under $50) and really high thread count sheets (Target - on sale for under $40 or Linens N Things - check the clearance or discount shelves, usually can find good deal around $50). Also, if you don't have down (or down-like) pillows, they are not a bad investment (I would check BBB or Linens N Things). We bought a feather bed, too, but I have since replaced it w/a nice thick mattress cover because after about a year, it was killing my back.

New bedding makes a huge difference - so luxurious!

Try http://www.designerlinensoutlet.com/store/index.asp?mcode=lsdef

I ordered a quilt from there a couple of years ago and was very pleased with the quality. It was more beautiful than in the pictures.

Oh, and http://www.garnethill.com/jump.jsp?itemType=CATEGORY&itemID=5&path=1%2C2%2C5 has got some beautiful stuff (maybe you can catch a sale).

Overstock.com! We got a 1000 thread count set for our king bed for a VERY reasonable price (under $200!). I LOVE this set! It's very smooth and satiny. I almost glows in the dark.

I'm still looking for what goes on top of it. We'll re-do our bedroom after we do the boys' room - so it'll be sometime soon. You'll have to let me know what you like!

We had a similar experience and went on a bedding hunt a few years ago: Down blanket (from Sams - it was under $50) and really high thread count sheets (Target - on sale for under $40 or Linens N Things - check the clearance or discount shelves, usually can find good deal around $50). Also, if you don't have down (or down-like) pillows, they are not a bad investment (I would check BBB or Linens N Things). We bought a feather bed, too, but I have since replaced it w/a nice thick mattress cover because after about a year, it was killing my back.

New bedding makes a huge difference - so luxurious!

Lands' End used to have Egyptian Cotton in variable thread counts as well as comforters/pillows/shams/bedskirts etc.

Haven't bought from them in a while but what I did buy years ago is still very nice.

I embarked on this same venture after my annual trek to NCHE this year. The bed I slept in was heavenly and I determined I *would* replicate this at home! :-) I've come pretty close to figuring out the things that make a difference. In addition to a pillow top mattress (or one that just feels fluffy), I bought a *thick* mattress pad (Kohl's, Walmart) to go on top of that. This really did make a difference. In addition to terrific sheets (high thread count), I purposed to get a fluffy comforter (as in thick and fluffy). Over this, I get a contrasting in color thinner blanket to fold in half so that it sits at the foot of the bed and comes up to just below halfway. Finally, in addition to sleeping pillows and pillows with shams I add lots of accent pillows.

HTH. Have fun!

Sharon

I have the cotton damask 480 count sheets from Target and they are wonderfully comfortable. Here's a link to the site, but they're in the circular this week for under $40 so your store should carry them.

http://www.target.com/Damask-Stripe-Sheet-Set-Shell/dp/B000TLW9I6/sr=1-2/qid=1216606072/ref=sr_1_2/601-0963711-9463334?ie=UTF8&index=target&rh=k%3Acotton%20damask&page=1

I got two Ralph Lauren bed pillows, a Laura Ashley mattress pad, 300 count Sateen sheets and a beautiful robin's egg blue quilt at TJMaxx and paid about $110.

I have to agree that the higher the sheet count, the softer the sheet! I think the sheets were $40 at TJMaxx, but I saw 300 count sheets on sale at JCP for the same price.

Y'all are great!

I have to admit that my eyes glazed a bit reading this. I'm not much of a shopper, and the idea of going out to various stores and piecing it together makes me sweat a little bit.

The idea of purchasing the whole package from the Westin was very appealing, until I saw the price.

I think I'll start with Garnet Hill and then go from there.

Thanks so much for all the info on what to look for!