Menu

a couple more kitchen remodeling questions

1) if you have limited countertop space or you like to have your countertops mostly clean...what things do you feel you MUST have on top??

2) I want a couple built in cutting boards, but it always seems that whatever I have stored below, I need to get to while the cutting board is being used...so what do you have stored below yours...and is that working for you or not? thanks.

1. Set of knives in a heavy wooden stand; cooking tools (spatulas, pizza cutter, plastic and wooden spoons, rice scoop) that I need to get to fast when I'm in the middle of cooking, stored in a Pampered Chef rotating storage container; several rolls of paper towels in various locations; plastic drain for newly-washed pots and pans. Those are my must-haves.

2. I would never use a built-in cutting board. I have heavy (1/2" thick) white plastic boards that I put in the dishwasher after every use. Cutting boards can just get so filthy.

1. Set of knives in a heavy wooden stand; cooking tools (spatulas, pizza cutter, plastic and wooden spoons, rice scoop) that I need to get to fast when I'm in the middle of cooking, stored in a Pampered Chef rotating storage container; several rolls of paper towels in various locations; plastic drain for newly-washed pots and pans. Those are my must-haves.

2. I would never use a built-in cutting board. I have heavy (1/2" thick) white plastic boards that I put in the dishwasher after every use. Cutting boards can just get so filthy.

This is similar to what I have out (including the Pampered Chef storage thing:D). The stand mixer, Keurig and toaster oven are also on the counter. Paper towels are on the attachment under a cabinet. No plastic drain though. I just set things out to dry on a towel, and usually dry them fully once I'm done washing the hand washables. The Pampered Chef thing is stuffed with cooking utensils. My cutting boards go straight to the dishwasher.

I have countertop space out the wazoo--my island alone is over 32 square feet, and nothing lives on my counters except one decorative platter that belonged to my great-grandmother and sits in a corner I can not use.

But what about the stand mixer? Nope--pull-out shelf in the pantry; I use it several times a week and take it out every time.

Bread maker? Garage.

Grain mill? Garage.

Cutting boards? I have 4--I cut a lot, and they are often all in use--and they all stand vertically in the cabinet under my sink.

Knives: Drawers.

Dish soap: soap dispenser built into my sink.

Condiments: in the cabinets.

Is there stuff ON my counters? Sure--the dishes that are drying, the cups no one ever bothers to put away (or is that only my house?), etc., but it is all transitory and does not live there. In fact, I have a rule that anything you leave on my island (I call it the sacred island) gets thrown away because clutter begets clutter, and I do not want your keys/mail/school bag/gym bag/Lego set on my counter! I think that would be even more important with limited counter top space.

Terri

so, does anybody have built in cutting baords? Maybe I can do without those...

I used to have one, but when I used it, I pulled it all the way *out* and set it on the counter. I suspect that whoever designed it may have been thinking that way: store it "inside," pull it out and use it on the counter.

I have two small cutting boards that I put away under the sink when I'm finished with them: a wooden one, which I clean well before storing, and a plastic one, which I only use for fruits and veggies. I'd *love* to have counter space for those big ol' cutting boards the TV chefs have, but I just don't.

The built in soap dispenser...is that a nice thing?? Never thought about that??

I'm wondering how they work on a long-term basis. Do they get gummed up??

My kitchen is too small, so I have a lot of things on my counters and on the walls between the counters and cabinets (backsplash).

On the wall are hooks for hanging ove-gloves and trivets. I have a magnetic knife holder and a rail with hooks on it for utensils.

http://www.amazon.com/MIU-France-Stainless-Magnetic-20-Inches/dp/B0000DZDHB/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1350653804&sr=8-1&keywords=magnetic+knife+holder

http://www.amazon.com/Kuchenprofi-Stainless-Chrome-24-Inch-Utensil/dp/B00008WV7O/ref=sr_1_14?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1350653842&sr=1-14&keywords=utensil+rail

On the counter, I have my Kitchen Aid mixer, a utensil jar, decorative glass decanters for oils, a can opener, and chargers for my weed whacker, dog clipper, cell phone, dremel grinder. Someday I will figure out a better place for all those chargers.

1) if you have limited countertop space or you like to have your countertops mostly clean...what things do you feel you MUST have on top??

Not much.

Mr. Ellie's coffeemaker (Hamilton Beach Brewmaster) is on the counter, because he uses it daily; the electric water kettle; the Keruig (which is a new device for me); and the toaster oven. All other small appliances are stored in the lazy susan base cabinet. I haven't always had that, though; in my last house, those kinds of things were stored in a closet that was close to the kitchen.

I have some cute, decorative things on the counter, though, set in the corner (above the lazy susan). That space isn't very useable, KWIM? I like being able to put out some stuff that's purely decorative. :-)

I have a knife block on the island, and a white enameld bread box. I don't like storing utensils on the counter--they just look like clutter to me. I have drawers right next to the cooktop where things are easily reach-able, and plenty of drawers in the island.

I want a couple built in cutting boards, but it always seems that whatever I have stored below, I need to get to while the cutting board is being used...so what do you have stored below yours...and is that working for you or not? thanks.

I answered this below, but I'll answer again. :D

When I've had built-in cutting boards, I've pulled them all the way out and put them on the counter to sue them, and put them back after washing them. I have two small ones now that I keep under the sink--a wooden one and a plastic one (the plastic one is ONLY used for fruits and veggies).

Not only do I not use the built in cutting board, but I even forgot I have two! We had our cabinets painted last week and the painters pulled a second one out of the wall between the ovens!

I prefer to use plastic for meats and small jobs because they go in the dishwasher. I have a lovely large, thick wood one I use for large cutting jobs. The built in ones seem too flimsy and difficult to clean

so, does anybody have built in cutting baords? Maybe I can do without those...

The built in soap dispenser...is that a nice thing?? Never thought about that??

My MIL has always had built in butcher block cutting boards; as did her MIL (my husband's grandmother, whom I also knew for many years). Neither was a sanitation problem at all, and they looked beautiful as well.

There will definitely be one in my kitchen as soon as we can swing a remodel there, no question.

I used to have one, but when I used it, I pulled it all the way *out* and set it on the counter. I suspect that whoever designed it may have been thinking that way: store it "inside," pull it out and use it on the counter.

up??

Ooooooh that is not what I was getting. By built in cutting board, I was thinking of the butcher block countertops that my MIL and grandMIL have :). Now THOSE are wonderful!

I would think a pull-out one would be kind of awkward-- you'd have to leave it pulled out all the way to let it dry properly after cleaning for correct sanitation.

We have:

Kitchenaid mixer

breadbox (we don't actually eat bread very often, so this is mostly decorative; it was my grandmother's)

toaster oven (I'd like to get rid of this, but DH likes it)

knife block

utensil holder with spatulas and spoons and whatnot