Menu

Question for families that DO trick-or-treat

When do your kids stop trick-or-treating?  

1. 1. When do your kids stop trick-or-treating?

• Never

In high school, we all dressed up and wandered a friend's neighborhood trick or treating. I was 17, maybe? BUT, I hung out with the artsy people. We had a great guitar player with us and we made up a song to sing when people opened the door. We earned our candy (which we gave away anyway). :)

In high school, we all dressed up and wandered a friend's neighborhood trick or treating. I was 17, maybe? BUT, I hung out with the artsy people. We had a great guitar player with us and we made up a song to sing when people opened the door. We earned our candy (which we gave away anyway). :)

This is great. It's sort of like Christmas caroling, but more random.

For some reason it reminded me of this story dd told me about, which I then found on MyLifeIsAverage (no clue if this is true or an urban legend, but it sounds really fun):

"I grew up in a college town, and one Halloween our doorbell rang and we opened the door expecting to see trickortreaterbut what was in front of our open doorwas another door! Like, a full-on wooden door, that had a sign that said Please knock. So we did, and the door swung open to reveal a bunch of college dudes dressed as really old grandmothers, curlers in their hair, etc, who proceeded to coo over our costumes and tell us we were such cute trick or treaters! One even pinched my cheek. Then THEY gave US candy, closed their door, picked it up and walked to the next house. MLIA"

I went trick or treating for the last time the year I was 15, I think. My daughter just turned 12 and is eagerly looking forward to trick or treating this year. I think if your 14 year old is looking forward to trick or treating, she should go have fun! I think any teen who is willing to put on a costume and POLITELY go door to door should go ahead and have a good time! As long as they're being polite to the people at the houses they go to and in front of the younger children on the streets, go ahead and hold on to this last bit of childhood fun. Why not!

I put never, but that is because you didn't put 18/graduation. Halloween was a huge deal in our high school as the seniors dressed up. Becuase of that the costumes were great, usually themed and done as groups. You spent highschool planning for your senior year costume. Because of that everyone trick or treated through senior year.

I couldn't really vote since it depended where we lived. My oldest stopped at 13 since then we moved to Europe and there was no trick or treating. My second hasn't stopped since at U. of AL last year, they dressed up and trick or treating for canned foods for the food bank- it was a contest between Auburn and U of AL for which students collected the most food. This year, she is trying to organize it for her young adult group here to do that. On the other hand, my 14 yo didn't do it last year since she didn't know anyone in the neighborhood and didn't want to go out alone or just with a parent. She will be going to a Halloween party and then will give out candy.

Im not sure as to an exact age. I always get extremely irritated seeing older kids trick-or-treating and I often vent to my husband that they are a little too old to still be doing it.

BUT.. when I think about this its always because the older kids we see are always mowing over the little kids, running around like crazy and being plain rude. So I guess its not an age thing with me, its their behavior. When I have my dd out I CANT STAND to see teenage-ish boys ditching her, bumping into her and being just plain rude.

SO.. I guess its not an age thing after all. Im sure your dd would be fine:001_smile:

Both of my boys voluntarily chose to stop trick-or-treating after their 12th birthdays. They think it's very silly for older kids to continue to go, and they especially get miffed at the teens who don't even bother with a costume. But AFAIK the boys have kept their opinions to themselves. When someone they know comes trick-or-treating and asks, they just say something along the lines of it's more fun to give out candy.