Menu

Looking for a read-aloud about gardening...

Jody's Beans by UK author Malachy Doyle is fabulous. Its the story of a little girl and her grandfather who plants beans with her. They start with seeds and follow the plant through its whole life cycle, ending with next years bean seeds. Its really nicely done.

Danielle

We haven't gotten to the book, yet.

But the third book in the "Half Magic" Series is called, "The Time Garden". Perhaps it is a little garden related.

That's about all I can come up with.

ETA:

Oh, not exactly gardening but "Tucker's Countryside" Which is the sequel to "The Cricket in Times Square" takes place in a meadow and talks quite a bit about growing things. The various animals are also trying to save the meadow from developers. This book might fit your needs.

What about "Strawberry Girl"? It's another I haven't read yet - but judging from the cover and title it takes place in a strawberry garden. :)

ETA: again

Sorry, I never noticed the age of your kids.

Gail Gibbons makes a nice non-fiction story book about gardens. I think it's called, "Garden's".

The book, "The Adventures of Bob White" by Thornton W. Burgess also takes place in a garden. For the majority of the book the Bob White family is helping farmer Brown in the garden.

Edited by Julie Smith

Sleeping with a Sunflower. It's a mix of gardening lore, poetry, old wives' tales, history, and much more. It's chapters are divided by month, so you could read the whole thing over the course of the year.

ETA: even with young kids, there's a lot of neat info and imagery.

I've always thought some of Sharon Creech's books, especially Chasing Redbird and Heartbeat, had a bit of a Barbara Kingsolver for kids feel to them, but none of them are about gardening specifically.

Gone Away Lake has some lovely stuff about gardens and growing. The third Melendy book, And Then There Were Five, also has some amazing nature descriptions and they do keep a Victory garden, but it's not a gardening book per se.

I could probably think of some more in this vein, but I'm not really sure what you want because your kids are so young... I would think even The Secret Garden would be a slightly stretch for them.

Beware the latest movie version of The Secret Garden. It covers the sudden deaths by plague of the household, and the burning of all of the contents of the home, with repeated closeups of the favorite toy (I forget whether it was a doll or a stuff toy, but clearly it was the 'lovie') in the big bonfire. My DD watched this when she was very young, and that fire traumatized her for months. I don't think she remembered much else about the movie. Go with the old Shirley Temple version, even though the happy ending is not true to the book. Gaaaaa!

The Carrot Seed, by Ruth Krauss has a great lesson for early gardeners. You can hear it read at Kiddie Records Weekly.

The Gardener by Sarah Stewart is correspondence between a flower-growing girl and her gardener-grandmother during the Depression. The illustrations are great and the text always makes me (almost) cry.

I want to second "Growing Vegetable Soup" by Linda Ehlert. There is a great, over-size boardbook and I've even seen it in Spanish if you really want to multi-task.

I vote for Farm City, by Novella Carpenter. It's a grownup book, but it's so interesting (especially if you live in or near a city).

If I were a kid, I would fascinated by how she keeps pigs and rabbits and chickens and bees in the empty lot next to her apartment house in Oakland, and how they have to become full-time dumpster divers just to keep the pigs feed. She collects weeds off the street to feed her chickens and your kids will find a lot about which they can say, "WOW, really?!"

Of course, it is set in urban Oakland, so you may have to read around the parts like when the marijuana growery across the street gets busted, LOL (plus YMMV on the various animal slaughter parts), but overall it provides SO much to think about and learn from.

I vote for Farm City, by Novella Carpenter. It's a grownup book, but it's so interesting (especially if you live in or near a city).

If I were a kid, I would fascinated by how she keeps pigs and rabbits and chickens and bees in the empty lot next to her apartment house in Oakland, and how they have to become full-time dumpster divers just to keep the pigs feed. She collects weeds off the street to feed her chickens and your kids will find a lot about which they can say, "WOW, really?!"

Of course, it is set in urban Oakland, so you may have to read around the parts like when the marijuana growery across the street gets busted, LOL (plus YMMV on the various animal slaughter parts), but overall it provides SO much to think about and learn from.

How interesting that you mention this book! I "know" Novella's sister, who is equally fascinating. I will pick up a copy of the book. Thanks for reminding me of this one!

I was coming on to posrt about "The Gardner" too...great book!!

The Carrot Seed, by Ruth Krauss has a great lesson for early gardeners. You can hear it read at Kiddie Records Weekly.

The Gardener by Sarah Stewart is correspondence between a flower-growing girl and her gardener-grandmother during the Depression. The illustrations are great and the text always makes me (almost) cry.

I want to second "Growing Vegetable Soup" by Linda Ehlert. There is a great, over-size boardbook and I've even seen it in Spanish if you really want to multi-task.