Menu

Prayer Request and Resource Suggestions Needed

We just got word that one of DD12's good friends tried to commit suicide this week. She's physically ok but is currently hospitalized at a pysch hospital. We don't know much as the parents weren't notified until yesterday where their daughter was transferred to (something about laws and being 13). They are going to see her tomorrow and take a required class at the hospital.

The parents knew she was unhappy but didn't realize she was this desperate. They are learning that this is common among adoptive teens. They are also a military family that has moved yearly for the past few years, so losing friends and feeling like she has no friends might be part of it too.

So, we want her covered in prayers.

And do you have any ideas for resources we might look for? We're in the south Puget Sound region for those who live locally and might have some local ideas.

I'm sorry, JoAnn. I just saw this. Of course we will be praying. I have nothing else to add other than the ages 11-14 seem to be the most precarious. I am constantly talking with dd and making sure she knows how much we love her and are there for her. This growing up thing is so tough.

:grouphug:

This brings tears to my eyes.

You can share our story with her parents if you feel it is appropriate and encouraging. My daughter told me at 12 that she didn't want to live in this reality anymore. She begged me to take her to the doctor. As the parent I wondered what I had done wrong. When she went on medication it felt like someone had pulled a rug out from underneath me. We have attended counseling (cognitive behavioral therapy) together for four years. Personally I think the counseling has been the most beneficial though dd was on meds too. We don't know what the future holds, however my dd is currently off the meds and is blossoming. I hope that they too can find what works for their sweet daughter. :grouphug:

I am so sorry - prayers and good thoughts.'

Years ago, I lived in fear that one of my children would take that step. Trying to find an MD or anyone at all even telling them what had been articulated was one of the most frightening and frustrating times in my life. And, yes, in different States, the age of 'reason' as regards psychiatric care, well, it leaves one wondering.

We located a school psychologist who had a private practice as well. Twenty years later, we still send holiday cards, and I remember this man in my prayers regularly. He did more for our family at that awful time than anyone else -- no meds, just counseling, and counseling and more counseling.

Perhaps a search that turns up school psychologists in a school system who specialize at the teen level might help. We literally stumbled upon our knght in shining armor by talking to the attorney who did the School System legal work for a county where we lived -- the attorney recommended (highly recommended) the psychologist.

And do you have any ideas for resources we might look for? We're in the south Puget Sound region for those who live locally and might have some local ideas.

NAMI, and the more local WAMI.

This isn't a great state for involuntary treatment (lots of patient right's safeguards that make loopholes), and the whole system is undergoing a revolution of the State and the Counties saying "no, this is YOUR problem, no this is YOUR problem" over and over.

Sounds like follow up might be with the military, which around here is better paid and good staff tends to migrate that way. A least in the small sample I know of.

NAMI, and the more local WAMI.

This isn't a great state for involuntary treatment (lots of patient right's safeguards that make loopholes), and the whole system is undergoing a revolution of the State and the Counties saying "no, this is YOUR problem, no this is YOUR problem" over and over.

Sounds like follow up might be with the military, which around here is better paid and good staff tends to migrate that way. A least in the small sample I know of.

Thanks.