Menu

Vegetarian and Low Carb

I am a person who needs protein at each meal. I don't do super low carb, but I do avoid sweets and try to stick to whole grains. If I was to eat something like a bowl of oatmeal for breakfast or pancakes, I would crash within a couple of hours and have a major meltdown or I would fall asleep. The same thing happens if I skip a meal.

Anyway, I watched a program that peaked my interest in vegetarianism. Is there any way someone like me can be a vegetarian? Would my body adjust to the need for a substantial amount of protein at each meal over time? I'm curious if anyone else is like me but has been able to make this type of change.

Thanks!

Lisa

This is a topic that caught my interest.

I always crash after pancakes. It never fails. I was wondering if there was something wrong with me. I have to put peanut butter in my oatmeal in order for me to feel okay 2 hours later, otherwise I'll be very shaky.

My DH is very into the low-carb lifestyle and we do not eat any red meat, although we do eat chicken and fish. However, we do use lots of cheese. Probably too much. I use soy flour to make a breading for eggplant or vegetables that are low carb. And we use lots of nuts.

I am a person who needs protein at each meal. I don't do super low carb, but I do avoid sweets and try to stick to whole grains. If I was to eat something like a bowl of oatmeal for breakfast or pancakes, I would crash within a couple of hours and have a major meltdown or I would fall asleep. The same thing happens if I skip a meal.

Anyway, I watched a program that peaked my interest in vegetarianism. Is there any way someone like me can be a vegetarian? Would my body adjust to the need for a substantial amount of protein at each meal over time? I'm curious if anyone else is like me but has been able to make this type of change.

Thanks!

Lisa

I have the same problem. If I could meat/eggs and vegetables at every single meal, I'd be the happiest, most energetic person on the planet. And I just got the bad news from my urologist that I;m supposed to drastically cut my animal protein (and salt) intake to try to avoid kidney stones :(

I'm :bigear: here as well.

I think it helps to really look at all products. Even things like cheese - there are some cheeses that contain more protein than others. I would check out each veggie and other foods to see how much each has and then work them in.

Rice and Beans make a complete protein, obviously not low carb.

Thanks!

Lisa

Have you tried raising your intake of good healthy fats while lowering your meat intake?

Drastic dietary changes (like going from primal to vegetarian) are terribly hard on the body.

I hear people say this a lot and am honestly interested in why. I've known a lot of people who went from one way of eating to another and (usually from meat-eating to veg) and they only reported beneficial differences (more energy, reversal of health issues, etc). The only thing I could see as an issue would be if you started eating a lot of beans at once, since some people have a hard time digesting them. Other than that, what makes it "terribly hard on the body" to increase your fruit, veggie, bean, legume and grain intake?

I hear people say this a lot and am honestly interested in why. I've known a lot of people who went from one way of eating to another and (usually from meat-eating to veg) and they only reported beneficial differences (more energy, reversal of health issues, etc). The only thing I could see as an issue would be if you started eating a lot of beans at once, since some people have a hard time digesting them. Other than that, what makes it "terribly hard on the body" to increase your fruit, veggie, bean, legume and grain intake?

Mostly accustoming yourself to a different type of input. If you're going from SAD to vegetarian, you probably will only see beneficial effects because SAD is so bad. If you're moving from a relatively clean heavy-meat diet to a relatively clean primarily vegetarian diet, it can take some adjustment time, depending on your body of course (in other words, YMMV) -- referring specifically to the people who said that they'd cut out meat and were starving.

Mostly accustoming yourself to a different type of input. If you're going from SAD to vegetarian, you probably will only see beneficial effects because SAD is so bad. If you're moving from a relatively clean heavy-meat diet to a relatively clean primarily vegetarian diet, it can take some adjustment time, depending on your body of course (in other words, YMMV) -- referring specifically to the people who said that they'd cut out meat and were starving.

Oh so you're referring to them being hungry. Gotcha. Yeah, I've heard that before, but then I tell people they can eat a lot more than they're used to because fruits and veggies are low cal so they can eat pretty much as much as they want. Once they increase their food intake they feel much better. Or, if they increase their healthy fat intake. Both are essential for not feeling hungry.

You could always work on reducing your meat rather than going whole hog (lol) all at once. Drastic dietary changes (like going from primal to vegetarian) are terribly hard on the body.

I referred to just cutting out meat and adding in beans. I did eat rice occasionally, oatmeal once or twice a week, and corn quite a bit. I used to be vegan and/or vegetarian for most of my life, so I know how this works. I went primal for health reasons, and I can not/will not add in most grains again. I'm not eating primal for a fab, my body can not handle the grains and extra carbs-I'm hypoglycemic among other issues. And being primal, I did eat mostly those things. I just ate meat once or twice a day, too. I starved when I first cut gluten, too. I think it's vitamin related. I take a lot of supplements, but I think I need to up my b vitamins. It's certainly not that I don't eat enough. :lol: I mostly eat nuts, salad, and fruit anyway. With a healthy dosage of olive and coconut oils. I'm not a low cal eater by any stretch of the imagination, so that's not the issue.

I don't think your body will get used to eating less protein. I have read that you can calculate how much protein you need this way: 1/2 your weight in lbs is the # and then add the word "grams" to that #. So if you weigh 100, you need 50 grams of protein per day. That is why many paleo folks say to avoid legumes, because you get a much higher amount of protein from red meats than from beans. So it is pretty difficult to eat no meats and get enough protein. You will probably need to use protein powders. My favorite site is marksdailyapple.com for nutritional info.

I don't think your body will get used to eating less protein. I have read that you can calculate how much protein you need this way: 1/2 your weight in lbs is the # and then add the word "grams" to that #. So if you weigh 100, you need 50 grams of protein per day. That is why many paleo folks say to avoid legumes, because you get a much higher amount of protein from red meats than from beans. So it is pretty difficult to eat no meats and get enough protein. You will probably need to use protein powders. My favorite site is marksdailyapple.com for nutritional info.

That is my concern. Especially since my joint pain is telling me to cut dairy back out-there goes a lot of my protein, too! I just can't seem to win!

Actually, most meat eaters get too much protein. And too much isn't good for the body, in particular the kidneys. Vegans can get plenty of protein without eating meat or supplementing with protein powders.

Thanks all! I haven't had a chance to check out the links, but I will do that. It sounds like if I did a vegetarian diet, I'd have to use protein powders, and frankly, I'm not sure that would work for me. I know I've tried eating protein bars, but I don't feel well eating those either. I suspect there are too many processed carbs in the bars along with the protein.

So frustrating. I'd love to try vegetarian and maybe I will, but I can't deal with the crazy mood swings and fatigue I get when I don't eat protein at each meal. I generally have a couple of ounces of cheese or an egg on a piece of whole grain toast for breakfast, some sort of sandwich for lunch (like chicken salad or a hamburgr) and about 3 or 4 ounces of meat with veggies for dinner. That seems to keep me very balanced and feeling well.

Lisa

So it is pretty difficult to eat no meats and get enough protein. You will probably need to use protein powders. My favorite site is marksdailyapple.com for nutritional info.

:confused: I've always been a vegetarian and have never needed protein powder. Protein is in a wide variety of foods. Even a serving of pasta has about 11g of protein. If you add some cheese to that you will get much more protein. Even the bread I have here has 4g per slice. It all adds up to plenty of protein without needing protein powder.

:confused: I've always been a vegetarian and have never needed protein powder. Protein is in a wide variety of foods. Even a serving of pasta has about 11g of protein. If you add some cheese to that you will get much more protein. Even the bread I have here has 4g per slice. It all adds up to plenty of protein without needing protein powder.

absolutely! Sorry, we aren't eating gluten and so I was forgetting these sources.

Yes, it's still not enough for me, unfortunately. I'm not sure why, but I get pretty sick if I don't have a substantial amount of protein at meals. It may be enough protein to meet daily recommended amounts, but it doesn't meet my dietary needs. I'd love to eat pasta and bread without meat, but it just doesn't work for me. I had hoped to cut out dairy in addition to meat.

Lisa

Thanks all! I haven't had a chance to check out the links, but I will do that. It sounds like if I did a vegetarian diet, I'd have to use protein powders, and frankly, I'm not sure that would work for me. I know I've tried eating protein bars, but I don't feel well eating those either. I suspect there are too many processed carbs in the bars along with the protein.

So frustrating. I'd love to try vegetarian and maybe I will, but I can't deal with the crazy mood swings and fatigue I get when I don't eat protein at each meal. I generally have a couple of ounces of cheese or an egg on a piece of whole grain toast for breakfast, some sort of sandwich for lunch (like chicken salad or a hamburgr) and about 3 or 4 ounces of meat with veggies for dinner. That seems to keep me very balanced and feeling well.

Lisa

I'm not sure what about a vegetarian diet urged you to want to go that route, but if you have a good idea about what your body needs to feel really well, I would stick with it. You can always add in a larger amount and variety of veggies and fruits, while ensuring that you have protein at each meal. Maybe you can experiment with more and more non-meat proteins and see how your body responds over time?

Something to consider is the glycemic index. High protein foods are low on the glycemic index so you burn them up more slowly and you don't get the crash you get from high glycemic load foods. It's not necessarily that you are in need of all the protein per se, but it's the sugar and carbs that make you feel bad. I know if I eat waffles and syrup I will feel awful 2 hours later, but if I eat nothing I feel hungry but not wiped out.

How 'low carb' do you want to go? I eat a higher protein and lower carb vegetarian diet. I think it is prob close to something like South Beach.

But, I also can't deal with lots of refined carbs.

A sort of standard day for me:

Breakfast:

4 egg whites

.5 cup collard greens

onion, red peper

salsa

snack:

1 apple

1TB unsweetened peanut butter

Lunch:

100 grams of steamed kale

.5 cup black beans

drizzle of lemon juice

Snack

3oz seitan

1 cup vegetable juice

Dinner:

Steamed cabbage

Red pepper

kale

baked tofu

After dinner

.5 cup fiber 1 cereal

.25 cup unsweetened almond milk

I'm not sure what about a vegetarian diet urged you to want to go that route, but if you have a good idea about what your body needs to feel really well, I would stick with it. You can always add in a larger amount and variety of veggies and fruits, while ensuring that you have protein at each meal. Maybe you can experiment with more and more non-meat proteins and see how your body responds over time?

I'm just starting to think it's a healthier way of eating. I definitely need to add in more fruits and veggies. Part of my problem is that I am a small person and can't eat many calories to begin with, so I could add in things like lettuce and kale, but lots of fruit would cause weight gain (assuming I continued with my current diet). But, maybe I could just add in more veggies and then try to see what I can get away with in terms of reducing meat/cheese.

Lisa

Something to consider is the glycemic index. High protein foods are low on the glycemic index so you burn them up more slowly and you don't get the crash you get from high glycemic load foods. It's not necessarily that you are in need of all the protein per se, but it's the sugar and carbs that make you feel bad. I know if I eat waffles and syrup I will feel awful 2 hours later, but if I eat nothing I feel hungry but not wiped out.

I'm with you on the waffles and syrup, but I have serious problems if I skip a meal. Honestly, there is something wrong with me, but I have no idea what it is. If I skip a meal, I will pay a big price later and the funny thing is I am often really not hungry at all. I don't care that much about food and could easily skip based on hunger and desire. Now, if eating cheesecake and cookies were an option, then I would seriously never want to skip a meal and I'd be having cravings all the time! :001_smile:

Lisa

How 'low carb' do you want to go? I eat a higher protein and lower carb vegetarian diet. I think it is prob close to something like South Beach.

But, I also can't deal with lots of refined carbs.

A sort of standard day for me:

Breakfast:

4 egg whites

.5 cup collard greens

onion, red peper

salsa

snack:

1 apple

1TB unsweetened peanut butter

Lunch:

100 grams of steamed kale

.5 cup black beans

drizzle of lemon juice

Snack

3oz seitan

1 cup vegetable juice

Dinner:

Steamed cabbage

Red pepper

kale

baked tofu

After dinner

.5 cup fiber 1 cereal

.25 cup unsweetened almond milk

Thanks for sharing your menu! Your first breakfast and snack might have enough protein for me to feel well, but I just don't think I could eat that. If I eat an egg, it's got to be on toast (texture issue). While I would love to eat cereal and milk, that would definitely not work for me.

I think I'm just going to have to try some experimentation. Maybe I need more of a goal of adding in lots of veggies and seeing how much I can cut back on meat/cheese/eggs without having a problem.

Thanks all! I've got the Forks over Knives books on request from the library and I thought maybe I could add in some recipes from that. I've also been doing a little experimenting with Indian dishes that involve chick peas. I feel like I've got to make some changes, I'm just so confused about what those changes should be.

Lisa

Thanks for sharing your menu! Your first breakfast and snack might have enough protein for me to feel well, but I just don't think I could eat that. If I eat an egg, it's got to be on toast (texture issue). While I would love to eat cereal and milk, that would definitely not work for me.

I think I'm just going to have to try some experimentation. Maybe I need more of a goal of adding in lots of veggies and seeing how much I can cut back on meat/cheese/eggs without having a problem.

Thanks all! I've got the Forks over Knives books on request from the library and I thought maybe I could add in some recipes from that. I've also been doing a little experimenting with Indian dishes that involve chick peas. I feel like I've got to make some changes, I'm just so confused about what those changes should be.

Lisa

So, eat it on whole grain toast, or put it in a whole grain tortilla, or pita. No biggie. In the grand scheme of things, a tortilla or a piece of bread in the morning with your eggs is not the thing to worry about. It just isn't. If that is the thing holding you back, then don't let it hold you back. Just do that and move on. Live with it for a few months and then see if it works for you. It really might.

Be flexible and make it work for YOU.

So, eat it on whole grain toast, or put it in a whole grain tortilla, or pita. No biggie. In the grand scheme of things, a tortilla or a piece of bread in the morning with your eggs is not the thing to worry about. It just isn't. If that is the thing holding you back, then don't let it hold you back. Just do that and move on. Live with it for a few months and then see if it works for you. It really might.

Be flexible and make it work for YOU.

Yes, but I guess I forgot that the plan I was looking at eliminated meat, eggs and dairy! I have thyroid issues and my memory is just totally nuts lately. Truly, I am not such a ditz all the time.:lol:

Anyway, between my stupid math question and this idiotic low carb vegetarian question, I think I'm going to stop posting for awhile to give you all a break!

Thanks again!

Lisa

I eat more carbs early in the day and drink a smoothie with fruit after I workout. I have been eating a bit of beans or lentils because I like them and I cannot eat too much meat.

I also have a problem with dairy. I can eat a bit of yogurt or half n half in my coffee.

The thing is you need to find a balance so you feel the best. I don't think there is one diet plan that suits everyone's needs.

I like eggs but it doesn't seem to natural to eat 100 of them every week. Some of the recipes for primal or low carb call for like a dozen eggs for one baked good.

I don't really have a sweet tooth. But I could live on crusty bread with butter and milk. Seriously. But the more I stick to lower carb and a bit of grain only in the morning I am much better. I also do fine with occasional potatoes.

Nice links! Thanks!

One of my favorite low carb foods is mashed cauliflower. It actually tastes like mashed potatoes!