Menu

Cheapest Good Crockpot Recipes

Would you share your favorite crock pot recipes that are also cheap meals? Dh is laid off and going to school, and we've had lots of medical bills the last few months. I'm fairly busy with some outside obligations, so I'd love to use the crockpot more.

Breakfast, lunch, or dinner recipes are welcome! Thank you so much for sharing!

Split pea soup is easy and cheap. Her's the recipe I use:

16 oz. Bag dried plot peas

1 diced potato

1 cup diced carrots

1 cup diced ham (I buy the precooked and cut bags)

6 cup veg. or chicken broth

2 cups water

1/2 tsp. Pepper

1 tsp. Salt

Sprinkle of bay leaves

Dump it all in and cook 4-6 hours on high or 6-8 on low

Strangely enough, my family loved her pizza chicken (basically chicken with mozzarella, tomato sauce and pepperoni, sounds gross doesn't it?). I can't remember which version but we've liked lasagna, both "normal" and an eggplant one. Her Asian-style recipes have all been hits around here, too, particularly orange chicken.

All kinds of dried beans and soups and chili are the standard with me.

---------

I haven't tried it yet (but planning on soon). I heard you can do baked potatoes in the crockpot. Scrub, wrap with foil, put in crockpot and cook on low about 8hrs.

------------------

BBQ -- if you find a boston butt on sale

pork butt

seasoning salt like lawry's

can soda - regular or diet

favorite bbq sauce

Rub pork with seasoning salt. Put in crockpot. pour soda over it. Cook on low. (2.5lb took about 4-5 hours, about 7lb took about 8-10 hours). When done pull out and shred with 2 forks. Ready to eat. Add your favorite sauce at table.

-------------------

Crockpot Chicken Tacos

1 envelope Taco Seasoning

6 pieces Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts

1 16-ounce jar Salsa

Dump everything into a crock pot and give it a little stir to blend the seasoning with the salsa. Cook on high for 4 to 6 hours or on low for 6 to 8 hours. When done, the chicken should shred easily when stirred with a fork.

For tacos, serve the chicken with soft flour tortillas, guacamole, lettuce, shredded cheese and sour cream. This is very versatile and can be used for enchiladas, nachos, tostadas, quesadillas, etc. Any leftover chicken can then be used for tortilla soup (make it the next day or freeze the chicken to use at a later time).

-------------------------------

Crockpot Teriyaki Chicken. My kids adore it. I often get boneless, skinless thighs on manager's special/clearance at Kroger, otherwise I buy regular thighs and skin/bone them myself. (I watched a youtube video to learn how.) After it's cooked, I tear the chicken into smaller pieces, otherwise I have one child who will flat out take too much. I also found that if I overcooked it, the texture turned mealy, not quite as good as it could be.

http://lakelurecottagekitchen.blogspot.com/2011/08/crock-pot-teriyaki-chicken.html

Ditto split pea soup. That is one of my family's favorites.

These refried beans are great:

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/refried-beans-without-the-refry/detail.aspx?event8=1&prop24=SR_Title&e11=refried%20beans%20without%20the%20refty&e8=Quick%20Search&event10=1&e7=Home%20Page

Also, if you can get this book from your library she has some great suggestions relating to crock pot:

Family Feasts for $75 a Week: A Penny-wise Mom Shares Her Recipe for Cutting Hundreds from Your Monthly Food Bill by Mary Ostyn (Sep 1, 2009)

Thank you! That's a lot of recipes. Any favorites?

Our favorites are the Black Bean soup, Pasta Fagioli (which I just make with whatever veggies we have from our CSA), and a number of her chicken recipes which I put together ahead of time and freeze - Margarita Chicken, Pineapple Chicken, Apricot Chicken, and Honey-Garlic Chicken. I frequently do a baked potato bar or some corn on the cob in the crockpot too. The fajitas and taco soup are good as well. Have fun, that is my number one go to crockpot site!

My family loves a roast pork roast in the crockpot. It's a bit more expensive than other cuts of meat, but it makes a lot and we use it over 4-5 different meals.

One pork roast (I buy the largest one I can find)

1 bottle of your favorite BBQ sauce

2 cans of whole cranberries (next to the cranberry sauce at the store)

one onion sliced into small rings or slivers

Mix the cranberries, bbq and onion in the bottom of your crockpot. Put the pork roast on top... I usually cook it on high for 2-3 hours and then put it on low for another 4-6. When you're ready to eat shred the meat (it will literally fall apart) and mix everything together with the sauce.

To make it stretch we will use it as a topping for baked potatoes, BBQ pork pizza, mini shredded pork sandwiches with cole slaw and baked beans, quesadillas... it's also great by itself!!

Crockpot 365 saved my sanity when the twins were born! I would slowly throughout the morning get all ingredients into pot (even frozen chicken - who had time to pre think the next day's dinner). Get it turned on by lunch and have dinner ready whenever we were ready. I haven't revisited her site. After about a year I was pretty sick of that crockpot. But, I'm feeling that crockpot love again.