Menu

Suggest an adventure book read aloud for a 6yo

kristin0713

We are on Unit 5 of HOD Beyond. During the first four Units, spread over 6 weeks, we read two biographies--Helen Keller and Squanto. My DD's narration and retelling skills are quite good and her comprehension of these books was strong. We started our adventure book, King of the Wind, this week but it seems to be just wayyyy above her comprehension level, much more difficult than the two we just read. She is interested in it but I find that I have to explain everything. So what else coud I try with her that is really exciting? My library does not have A Lion to Guard Us--that was my next choice. Sword in The Tree seems too boyish. The Twenty-One Balloons doesn't seem too exciting. Other suggestions that are not straight from the HOD suggested list?

Well, I love The Twenty-One Balloons. :)

But how about Nim's Island?

Or Where the Mountain Meets the Moon?

Or Dragonrider?

Or The Borrowers has elements of adventure story it in...

Or The Wonderful Wizard of Oz?

I could go on... What about "adventure" do you want specifically?

What about "adventure" do you want specifically?

It's the genre that we are studying right now. HOD Beyond goes through a different literary genre every month or so.

Good suggestions--i will check them out! We read an abridged version of The Wizard of Oz and of Narnia last year. She loved them both. We also read the first two My Father's Dragon books over the summer--maybe we could read the third. I guess we've read a lot of this genre in the past year already!

If it makes you feel any better, A Lion to Guard Us was not a hit with my sensitive DD7. The mother dies early on, and I really had to drag her through the rest of the book, which didn't get much cheerier.

However, she adored Pocahontas and the Strangers (also by Bulla) if that's the vein you're going in. Has the Jamestown connection like A Lion to Guard Us but much easier on a young girl's heart. I wouldn't necessarily consider it adventure though.

I thought Tumtum and Nutmeg was adventurous and suspenseful. DD was exclaiming out loud, urging characters to hurry or watch out. There were many times when we reached a cliffhanger at the end of a chapter where it would have been cruel not to keep going and end the suspense.

If you're trying to do a variety of things, I would aim to do at least one that's a sort of fantasy adventure and one that's more of a nature adventure. These are all good suggestions though. :) And I agree that The Sword in the Tree is good (and short) and I wouldn't worry about the gender of the protagonist.

THANK YOU!! I looked up several and I think my DD would LOVE Tumtum and Nutmeg, as well as Dr. Dolittle. Going to the library tomorrow. :)

Another reason that I don't want to do The Sword in the Tree right now is because I want to wait until my DS is in Beyond and save it for him. DD will listen along with us at that point, I'm sure. I just want to have some special "new" books for him as he moves up in the guides.

It's the genre that we are studying right now. HOD Beyond goes through a different literary genre every month or so.

Good suggestions--i will check them out! We read an abridged version of The Wizard of Oz and of Narnia last year. She loved them both....

Read the unabridged, then :). Really: Button even liked the original versions twice over, I'm sure she'll love them.

Also The Voyages of Dr. Dolittle: it's Dr. Dolittle part 2, and won a Newbery <-- now, you tell me, should this board flag Newbery as a misspell??????? :D

Agreeing with The Sword in the Tree suggestion. Heidi was a bit hit with my boys recently. Baby Island is recommended in HoD's Bigger Hearts for the adventure genre. We read it last winter and it was a favorite.

Really? how far in did it take to catch? We haven't made it up the mountain yet -- Button does.not.like.Heidi.

Really? how far in did it take to catch? We haven't made it up the mountain yet -- Button does.not.like.Heidi.

Well, it's not exactly a fast-paced adventure. Maybe we just enjoyed it, because we have goats and could relate to the story in that way. IDK, but I've found several read-alouds others have recommended to be less than stellar. To each their own.