Menu

Some Celiacs Questions, if you have a minute

Since there are several celiacs (or those who have celiac family members), I would love to ask a few questions....

What about gluten free oats ~ do you eat those?

Cornmeal? What if it says it could be produced on shared equipment? I know that corn is safe but I am not sure about the processing?

I am sure I will think of more questions, but that is it for now.

If you have any thoughts or precautions you want to share, I am open.

No, we do not eat oats. I personally do not want to risk getting sick so I don't even eat gf oats. It makes it easier anyway because my ds is allergic to oats so why bother having them in the house?

I also do not use anything that is made on shared equipment or made in the same facility as wheat. This is different for people. I am very sensitive to gluten, and I have gotten sick before from something that said "gluten free" on the package (Amy's frozen meal....never again will I eat anything from that company).

When you are in doubt just call the company for clarification. For example, Ben & Jerry's ice cream makes all their ice cream in the same factory. However, they only make one flavor at a time, and wash/sterilize everything between flavor batches. I have never gotten sick from a gf flavor so I feel safe buying that brand.

We do buy gluten free oats, but ONLY if they are CERTIFIED gluten free. We pay $6 for a 2 pound bag. But not all celiacs can tolerate oats, especially in the early stages of 'recovery'. And no, we do not buy anything that says 'processed in a facility'.

It's going to depend on the severity of the individual's reaction. Some people eat oats, some don't. I would be very leery at the beginning to risk cross contamination from "may be.." Play it safe until you know for sure, and just don't risk it.

:iagree: I generally have no problem with oats (even not GF certified) so I eat them. I generally have no trouble with non-certified goods, if I can read the label and see there are no wheat/spelt/barley/rye ingredients listed, and trust the company enough to assume industry best practice in cleaning between batches (like Ben & Jerry's, above). BUT... I make that decision for myself, not for others. For others, I would take the safest route.

We don't do anything made on shared equipment. If it says "may contain" ... It's out. There is no law stating that a company must list "may contains" so unless I know that a company is committed to providing that info, I'll either call directly or skip their product, so that adds another layer of complexity.

Everyone is different. Our comfort zone does not include *anything* made on shared lines, even if they wash and sterilize. Testing has shown that there is still a chance of cross contamination, so we skip taking the chance.

It's/ a lifestyle adjustment, isn't it?

:iagree:

It's going to depend on the severity of the individual's reaction. Some people eat oats, some don't. I would be very leery at the beginning to risk cross contamination from "may be.." Play it safe until you know for sure, and just don't risk it.

Since there are several celiacs (or those who have celiac family members), I would love to ask a few questions....

What about gluten free oats ~ do you eat those?

Cornmeal? What if it says it could be produced on shared equipment? I know that corn is safe but I am not sure about the processing?

I am sure I will think of more questions, but that is it for now.

If you have any thoughts or precautions you want to share, I am open.

No and no.

I'm just getting over a horrible, painful week-long illness that I strongly suspect was caused by eating a couple of homemade "GF" oatmeal cookies (using TJ's oats). Up to now, I've been feeding the oats to the children, but not usually eating them myself because they made me feel kind of icky afterward -- which I figured was due to my body not being used to the "fiber," or whatever the reasoning that's sometimes given in the celiac literature as to why people react to them.

After this experience, though, I'm not going to have any kind of oats in the house, and I'm going to throw out all the wooden spoons etc. that might have residue. I guess I'll have to do another trial in the future -- since I'm not 100% sure that the oats were responsible -- but I'm in no hurry.

The problem now is that I already know I'm very sensitive to cross-contamination (from past experiences), and any other grains processed in a dedicated GF facility could be contaminated heavily with these oats. So everything from Bob's Red Mill is out, at least for the time being. I know for sure that Kinnikinnick doesn't use oats, so we'll probably go back to their breads until I get this figured out, even though their products contain a lot more additives than I'd prefer. (But they do sell glazed chocolate donuts, which is mitigating my sorrow just a teeny tiny bit. ;))

ETA: BTW, I've been GF for 15 years now, and haven't got any less sensitive with time. It's got to the point where I'm just fed up with the whole business. And this whole thing recently of gluten-free eating being "trendy," and restaurants offering supposedly safe foods that really aren't, is just making it worse IMO. It used to be that hardly anyone had heard of gluten intolerance, but at least most people who were familiar with it knew it was serious.

Edited by Eleanor

And this whole thing recently of gluten-free eating being "trendy," and restaurants offering supposedly safe foods that really aren't, is just making it worse IMO. It used to be that hardly anyone had heard of gluten intolerance, but at least most people who were familiar with it knew it was serious.

:iagree: There are so many people who think I've stopped eating gluten because it's the newest fad diet. They roll their eyes when I try to explain how I can't even have the smallest crumb of gluten.