Menu

Summer music festivals/camps

Dd #3 began with heavily supervised camps in middle school (Blue Lake, Interlochen) and progressed to loosely supervised 6 week program going into her sophomore and junior years (Tanglewood ). tanglewood had college students on site, but they were in a separate program. Dd demonstrated good judgement and earned our trust.

This past summer, she spent 3 weeks in Quebec at Orford (age 17). She had to navigate the international flight, public transportation to the bus station, bus ride to town near the festival, and cab to the site. Participants were mainly college and grad students. She was ready, and she handled it beautifully.

Bottom line--know your child. Your concerns are well founded, but kids can do just fine.

Typos courtesy of iPad :lol:

My son attended Blue Lake in middle school, also.

He then went to Idyllwild and several chamber music camps in California. He loved it all! He enjoyed music camps because the campers tended to be less outrageous (than at Boy Scout camp for example) and more focused. These camps helped broaden his experience and give him some perspective.

My dd is still pretty young (10yo). She has only attended music camps where I could be there with her or another parent would be with her when I couldn't be. We had a not so great experience the first day of a camp this summer where they claimed to have your children very supervised and it was not that way. They got better as the week went on but I was very glad I was able to be there with her anyway.

My 14yo goes to an Irish music camp with us and for the past two years he has had pretty much free run with some limits. (I follow 10yo around to her classes and sit outside.) He has a cell so I can get in touch with him or he can check in. The camp is mostly adults and older teens and we know many of the people after going there for 4 years so I feel like there are others beside me watching out for him and I am still there and know where he is.

My son is very interested in Interlochen. Did you love it? Did your dd? Was it worth the money for a learning experience? He is interested in musical theatre or voice.

Hi Jan,

Interlochen is an excellent program. I think the learning is very strong, but there is still a "camp", non-competitive feel. One of the reasons it is so expensive is that the kids are very well supervised. Dd continues to stay in touch with some friends that she made back in middle school.

My dd has actually attended boarding school at Interlochen for the past 3 years. She auditioned one summer while at camp and came home wanting to go to school there. We were able to hold her off for a year, but she continued to push to go. The school was able to make it financially feasible, so there's been no turning back.

Since we are so close to it now, we are able to see the program's flaws, but it really is a pretty terrific place. Private boarding school would not have been my choice for my child :001_huh:, but we feel the experience has served her very well. Dd is well equipped to move forward into college next year. (although a large measure is due to her personal character and work ethic, not her educational background.)

DD12 for the past 3 years has participated in a theater camp here in town. It's run by past Broadway performers. We live in a heavily theater crazy town, so many similar camps are nearby within a 20 mile radius. Therefore, the cost is no where near Interlochen. The local theater camps charge about $500 to $750 for 4 weeks of instruction. Each 4 week session ends with a mainstage show or one of the Disney Jr. shows. I choked when I read how expensive Interlochen is. For those of you who have kiddos attending, what does one get for that money?

:001_smile:

DD12 for the past 3 years has participated in a theater camp here in town. It's run by past Broadway performers. We live in a heavily theater crazy town, so many similar camps are nearby within a 20 mile radius. Therefore, the cost is no where near Interlochen. The local theater camps charge about $500 to $750 for 4 weeks of instruction. Each 4 week session ends with a mainstage show or one of the Disney Jr. shows. I choked when I read how expensive Interlochen is. For those of you who have kiddos attending, what does one get for that money?

:001_smile:

Scholarships :). That's the hope at least. These are full-time camps that include full room and board, so that may be why they are so expensive. Personally, we will pay for a camp either through a tax refund or dh's work bonus, if either come to pass. If not, we'll rely on merit and/or financial need based scholarships.

We are not considering Interlochen, Blue Lake, or Aspen. Our two top choices that ds will audition for are actually in our region. Ds's teacher also wants him to audition for Brevard (NC), which is fairly expensive. This past summer he was offered a large scholarship to the Philladelphia International, although he wasn't able to attend.