Menu

I'm getting terrible at time management. . .

Alicia64

I'm starting to wake up to the fact that because my time and days are directed only by me. . . and not by an external source. . . I really goof around a lot. Not on TV, but definitely on the computer.

I clean the kitchen. Make lunch. Check the computer. I drive the kids to activities etc. But at the end of the day I'm realizing that I haven't accomplished all that much.

Really, I'm not just complaining. I really am slacking. We're actually taking a break this week because of our move -- which has been totally overwhelming. And I think I do better when the kids have their lessons. It keeps me on track keeping them on track.

I don't know what I'm asking. Any ways you work with yourself to better use your time? I want to go to sleep at night not feeling like a slacker. (Plus I have a ton of boxes to unpack.) :glare:

And my almost 13 year old dog is really going down hill. I think between the move and my great friend having serious problems I'm stressed. But I've still noticed that I slack.

Thanks,

Alley

I'm starting to wake up to the fact that because my time and days are directed only by me. . . and not by an external source. . . I really goof around a lot. Not on TV, but definitely on the computer.

I clean the kitchen. Make lunch. Check the computer. I drive the kids to activities etc. But at the end of the day I'm realizing that I haven't accomplished all that much.

Really, I'm not just complaining. I really am slacking. We're actually taking a break this week because of our move -- which has been totally overwhelming. And I think I do better when the kids have their lessons. It keeps me on track keeping them on track.

I don't know what I'm asking. Any ways you work with yourself to better use your time? I want to go to sleep at night not feeling like a slacker. (Plus I have a ton of boxes to unpack.) :glare:

And my almost 13 year old dog is really going down hill. I think between the move and my great friend having serious problems I'm stressed. But I've still noticed that I slack.

Thanks,

Alley

Well, I can "relate" even including the elderly dog part. Do want to have a no computer based slacking time for the next 4 days trial? I have to be on for some business related reasons, and then I notice that from there it is easy to have a lot of time go by... Yikes!

I'm starting to realize I am going to have to start setting the timer for a lot of things. I just lose track of time too easily. Our days are running long and I can see where we are losing time in the mornings by not cutting subjects off when we need to. I definitely need to use a timer with the computer in the evenings!

HTH,

Kathy

I need lists. I write out what I think I can reasonably do in a day. For me, I just do this for cleaning and household stuff. I have a separate list for school. I dont stress if i cant get through the list, but it's there to keep me going to the next thing. Then I give myself specific computer breaks. So I check my email and surf a bit when I have my tea in the morning. We start school at 9 so I stop then, and I have no computer until lunch (this is the plan- not always reality). Then I get another "me" break in the afternoon, and then in the evening.

Sometimes a big task (like unpacking) will overwhelm me and I avoid doing it. What helps me is to break it down into small goals, sometimes with rewards. I might set an amount of time to work on something (30 minutes or 1 hour, or even "how much can I get done in 10 minutes?"), or I might set a goal of unpacking X number of boxes. Start small and set goals you can achieve, and then reward yourself with 30 minutes on the computer.

I'm often surprised in how little time some tasks take. For example...I can unload the dishwasher in the time it takes me to heat up a cup of water in the microwave (2 minutes) and steep a cup of tea for one minute. Only 3 minutes! Or, I can fold most baskets of laundry in the same amount of time that it takes the coffee to brew.

So...you might think about something you are waiting for, and instead of hopping on the computer, pick a box to unpack and see how far you can get, or time yourself and see how long it takes. You might be surprised!

Hang in there! Merry :-)

I am unpacking from a move, too, and it is so overwhelming. Right now I am very busy with some plans so as much time as I designate to NOT get on the computer, I realize I need to look for "X" number or I forgot this, or I need to call that, and then before you know it, I'm planning out gifts for people (still need to do that, btw) and while it's not "wasting" time - it's not being AS productive. But then I get 100% sidetracked and I end up just surfing randomly - THAT's what kills me!

I try and do a couple boxes a day. I set aside things I need DH to look through, or hang, or whatever, and I keep working on that box. My biggest problem area is in the kitchen right now- trying to figure out storage for food and such. When DH comes home from work, I try to ask him to hang 1-2 things after dinner so that way it's a "little" progress.

Except in the office. I have no idea what to do there. We have a box of linens and no place to put them, and a box of extra bathroom stuff (ditto), and a couple boxes of office stuff. Our bathroom is extra small, and there's very little storage.

Sigh. it keeps me up at night.

but yes, I will start using a timer in a couple weeks when things settle down and we're done acting like headless chickens. :lol:

I turn off the computer. I don't have other devices that would let me check in (yes, I'm becoming more of a technophobe every day!) But I would check in to the forum and get to thinking and writing, and it is shocking how much time that takes. Also, I am not good about obeying a timer when I'm in the middle of a thought process. So, no computer allowed on until after I'm done with work.

I've got my housekeeping divided by days--two hours a day, Mon, Tue, Wed, Thur, with about an hour on Sunday and Saturday for a sweep-over.

I love the book Getting things Done by David Allen. Unlike many others, it's not a sales pitch for a bunch of overpriced organizing merchandise; you can do it with a stack of index cards and a pencil (though there are plenty of gadgets & software out there for the geeks among us).

If you do it all the way, though, it will make you more productive at whatever is truly most important to you, and it will remove a lot of stress over what to do next or how to tackle big projects.

Guest joaner

i am originally from Germany and everything there is so organized compared to my current lifestyle where i now live. I myself work freelance teaching children about the importance of fitness and nutrition, and also drama so its quite a mixed combination haha. but i find myself sometimes playing on my laptop while i am on the move quite a lot, as for time management it is important on not just our professional lives, but personal as well i read a book called the secret, it wasn't specifically about time management but it has helped me in all aspects of my life so naturally i now have more than enough time for everything else :), i also have read some articles on the topic of time management from those guys.

Regards

Dav

i am originally from Germany and everything there is so organized compared to my current lifestyle where i now live. I myself work freelance teaching children about the importance of fitness and nutrition, and also drama so its quite a mixed combination haha. but i find myself sometimes playing on my laptop while i am on the move quite a lot, as for time management it is important on not just our professional lives, but personal as well i read a book called the secret, it wasn't specifically about time management but it has helped me in all aspects of my life so naturally i now have more than enough time for everything else :), i also have read some articles on the topic of time management from those guys.

Regards

Dav

Hello Dav,

your comment above makes sense, however i have read the book "the secret" and it is very out there. it goes into physics at parts, so unless you have an understanding it can go over your head a little. i tend to find making weekly lists/checklists and putting them on the fridge works exceptionally well for me. but hey that's just me...

I have the same issues as many: what seems like not enough hours in a single day. I have some thougts, below, that may or may not help.

I'm starting to realize I am going to have to start setting the timer for a lot of things...I can see where we are losing time in the mornings by not cutting subjects off when we need to.

We just started doing a version of this. I actually scheduled just the school part of our day on paper, and all three of us have a copy. School starts at 8:30, and if math isn't completed by 9:30, we stop and move on. My DDs have any left over work for "homework". This is beneficial to me as well, b/c it keeps me off the computer, where my back is to them, and more focused on their work.

I need lists. I write out what I think I can reasonably do in a day....I give myself specific computer breaks. So I check my email and surf a bit when I have my tea in the morning.

I use Remember the Milk for this. I have lists ranging from a variety of daily tasks, to recurring household chores, to christmas lists, to clothing needed for each person in the house. Anything and everything I think of that needs to get done goes into RTM. I have it on my computer, iPod Touch, and iPad. I could not function without it.

Sometimes a big task (like unpacking) will overwhelm me and I avoid doing it. What helps me is to break it down into small goals, sometimes with rewards...I'm often surprised in how little time some tasks take. For example...I can unload the dishwasher in the time it takes me to heat up a cup of water in the microwave (2 minutes) and steep a cup of tea for one minute. Only 3 minutes! Or, I can fold most baskets of laundry in the same amount of time that it takes the coffee to brew.

My DDs and I do this, too! We do 15-min. "Crazy Cleans" where we all fly through different rooms and see how much we can get done in 15 minutes (I took this from FlyLady years ago). In total honesty we can get an entire room straightened in 15 min. Not cleaned or de-cluttered, but at least presentable.

HTH!

I use Remember the Milk for this. I have lists ranging from a variety of daily tasks, to recurring household chores, to christmas lists, to clothing needed for each person in the house. Anything and everything I think of that needs to get done goes into RTM. I have it on my computer, iPod Touch, and iPad. I could not function without it.

Okay, tell me more. I really need a good to-do app, and I need it to sync with my Android phone and my desktop computer. I just got my phone and am slowly my calendar stuff from Palm to Google calendar, but the Tasks I enter on Google Calendar aren't showing up on my phone (even though the calendar stuff is). :glare: And I'm still very much getting the hang of this "app" thing - most of what I'm using just came with the phone.

What does Remember The Milk do that makes it so good? Is it a free app?

I just sent my last kid off to school - my older two went to high school, and the younger one alone at home wasn't working (for a whole number of reasons I won't get into right now) but now I've got time alone for the first time in 14 years, and I find I'm wasting most of it... a really good to-do list would help so much. The paper ones get lost, or I don't have paper, or I don't have it with me, or I end up having to rewrite it when I cross a bunch out... (oy, the excuses! :001_rolleyes:) I think I'll be fine after I get a new groove... (this must be my version of deschooling??)

I have been feeling like a slacker too. I am due with 5th baby in November and feeling sluggish. Depression in the past has made me sluggish. Recent illness in family as well as moves can also make one sluggish and make one want to escape reality. A cluttered unorganized home drives me crazy and brings my energy down. I have to spend at least one weekend every couple of months to do some serious decluttering and reorganizing.

Suggestions:

Train your kids early to do chores and make sure they can do them well.

Be sure to praise when due.

Make daily chore charts for the kids.

Stick at prominent place.

Make sure chores are accomplished for at least 3 weeks.

Make a BIG daily schedule for each person in the family (excluding dad if he is at work all day) and stick at prominent place. This gives an idea of what each person is doing at a given time. I place each persons name at top of list and underneath write the activity: prepare lunch, math, PE, chores, spend time with the little children. even the little children gets a column to state what on earth they are doing at that time (learning numbers, snack)

Discuss chore and daily schedule chart at a family meeting. So everyone is on the same page.

Stick with this schedule for at least 3 weeks.

Don;t add or change anything during the 3 weeks.

Evaluate after three weeks.

Computer access for you: only in the early morning before kids are up or in the evening when all schoolwork/chores done (consider it a treat). I usually use computer for communication purposes.

I figure I have to discipline myself if I want to see discipline my kids.

I hear ya. If you don't have a method for moving from one thing to the next, to the next, to the next, I find time gets away very easily and you realize it's noon and have gotten only 2 subjects done. I know that I will sit down and check FB or whatever while the kids are doing their work and then they'll get done and I don't realize it and then I get up and they have a castle half built out of Legos and I say, "why didn't you tell me you were done?" And then I find out one of them is done, and the other says he actually has 10 more problems to do. "WHAT?!" :glare: Frustration ensues.

Or if I try to do some chores during school sometimes I will get carried away and make school wait for me while I'm doing something rather than just using the time I'm waiting for them to do something to get a little something done. You have to be careful, or trying to sneak in chores (especially if you can't stand to stop mid-chore when the kids are ready to move on) ends up only dragging out school big-time.

Turning off the computer altogether until school is done every day might help. Even if you do something else while you're waiting for the kids to do something, you probably won't get quite as "lost in thought" and more aware of what's going on and when you can move on.

Really, at the end of the day, homeschooling takes a lot of discipline on mom's part and that is definitely difficult for some - me included. There's nobody there telling you what to do and when to do it and it's very easy to just take time off when you feel like it when you really shouldn't. It's hard. You just have to try, try, try to make yourself develop good habits and stick to your routine as much as you can. Some people focus on being flexible, but that part comes easy for me. What is hard is generally sticking to my routine and making myself do things I don't feel like doing (like school 5 days a week!). :tongue_smilie:

independently: I noe tell them you must come and tell me you are done.

I try and do no household chores during the day. Only the kids do the chores: one kid does the laundry, another does dishes, another does the floor. My day is spent on teaching the kids and of course sneaking in the back bedroom to email you guys

I also have placed a sign on window "NO trespassers/no solicitors ...door will not be opened for anyone between 9am-whatever time you set. Or please call first before coming." In my case 7pm.

Also I have placed on the phone outgoing message saying that I am busy between this time and that time and will return calls after such and such time or on weekends.

I have been highly annoyed by some really unsupportive of homeschooling neighbors who just keep knocking on my door thinking I need adult conversation. ANNOYING! I do not need adult conversation. I am doing just fine thank you very much and if I do it would be with people who are currently homeschooling and supportive of it.

Sometimes I feel almost they want to sabotage my efforts or something like that-they say things like well my grandkids are doing just fine in public school and just show up at door steps.

I try and set up medical appts in the late afternoon so my kids get some good studying done in the mornings.