Menu

Hair Color Tip for Older Moms!

I've been doing my own color for a long time, mostly because I don't lean back in the bowl to have my hair washed, due to neck reasons.

At any rate, don't use those boxed hair colors from the drug store. Go to Sally's Beauty Supply (or another chain, if you have that instead) and purchase professional color and the Developer (I use 30, due to resistant gray!). They also have something called Gray Magic, a liquid that you add to your haircolor before putting it on.

I just did my hair and the color is awesome this time! I mix levels 7 and 8 so I have a nice, natural looking blonde, very similar to the blonde I was before ...age happened. I sometimes paint on lighter streaks a few days later. This Gray Magic stuff really helps it hold the color. This is the first time in months that I have redone it. I always do the area around the face and temples and along part first, and let that sit about 10 minutes before doing the rest. Then I sort of shampoo it up before rinsing, then rinse out and wash over the sink.

I've done both of my kids' hair with highlights in the past and they were asked by professionals what salon did their hair. ;)

I calculated that each haircolor job costs me maybe $2.00, including color, developer and Gray Magic additive by the time I am done, because I buy large quantities and don't have a whole lot of hair. My kind of price!

I looooove me some Sally's. :001_smile:

I like their Ion products as well. The after colour treatment works really well. It tightens the hair whatever they are called and keeps the colour in longer. It makes your just coloured, stressed out hair relax and feel silky. I also like a bunch of the Ion shampoos and conditioners.

Hey, when did you decide to go to 30%? I am not even 50% grey (I don't think, lol) so I am staying with the standard 20 lift, but I do use grey magic. But, I have wondered if there is a time when the 30% makes more sense. I only do a single step process, if that makes a difference.

What do you use for the lighter streaks? I tried "Colour Breaks" because it was made for colour treated hair, but I don't think it is made any longer. Plus, I didn't think it really worked. I would love to work in a couple highlights into my hair. But, I am a redhead...or should I say "redhead" and I am afraid it will lift to bronze/orange or something horrible. (I really am a redhead, just not so red this side of 40)

How do you know how much to use?

Enough to cover your hair! ;) Standard boxes give you two ounces of both color and developer, for four ounces. I don't need that much. I used 1.5 ounce of color and 1.5 ounce of developer today. There are marked lines on the plastic applicator with the pointy tip that you also need to apply the color. So, you could start with standard amount and if you have a lot left over, use less next time. Just use equal parts of developer and color.

Mine is shortish, especially in the back, and fine, so I don't need a lot. My daughter's hair is long and huge and curly. I used 8 ounces on her once and still could have used a little more!

How do you know how much to use?

of the colour and the developer? If that is what you mean, it says so on the bottle of colour. Most are a 1:1 ratio and they come in two ounce bottles. So two ounces of colour with 2 ounces of developer gives you 4oz of colour in your bottle. For roots, that is prob ok. For your whole head you might want two or one and a half.

Some (Wella, I am looking at you) are a different ratio. It might be 1:2? I can't remember of the top of my head. Wella says that makes it more economical, but I say it makes it extra work when I am freezing my butt of in the bathroom.

FYI: don't take my ratio info for realsies. I am going from memory, ok? Read your bottle. Don't trust the squirrel on the interwebs to do your math for you.

And: I am talking about liquid hair colour. There is also paste and it comes in tubes and you measure it out. I have never used the tubes and I don't know how they work

I looooove me some Sally's. :001_smile:

I like their Ion products as well. The after colour treatment works really well. It tightens the hair whatever they are called and keeps the colour in longer. It makes your just coloured, stressed out hair relax and feel silky. I also like a bunch of the Ion shampoos and conditioners.

Hey, when did you decide to go to 30%? I am not even 50% grey (I don't think, lol) so I am staying with the standard 20 lift, but I do use grey magic. But, I have wondered if there is a time when the 30% makes more sense. I only do a single step process, if that makes a difference.

What do you use for the lighter streaks? I tried "Colour Breaks" because it was made for colour treated hair, but I don't think it is made any longer. Plus, I didn't think it really worked. I would love to work in a couple highlights into my hair. But, I am a redhead...or should I say "redhead" and I am afraid it will lift to bronze/orange or something horrible. (I really am a redhead, just not so red this side of 40)

Yes, love ION products. I went to the 30% because my gray is so resistant to color. I used to use 20% I am well into my 50's, if that matters, and it probably does. I know my hair was way different 20 years ago. I have some pretty silver around the face, but I'm very pale so it makes me look kind of bald if I don't color my hair! Besides, it is all kinds of mixed colors, and not in the pretty way, I think.

IF 20 is working, stick with it.

TranquilMind,

'

You are a Goddess!!! I would LOVE to highlight my own hair i/o paying highway robbery fees of the salon!!! Would you be willing to post a little photo of your highlights? I'd love to see how hair painted by "Sally" comes out.

I, too, have some gray on the top that resists the color, not too much but right on the hairline/part. So even if I get it professionally done, it doesn't last long...I'd kill to be able to touch it up myself. I'm super scared to mess it up and have it turn orange/copper.

Brett

TranquilMind,

'

You are a Goddess!!! I would LOVE to highlight my own hair i/o paying highway robbery fees of the salon!!! Would you be willing to post a little photo of your highlights? I'd love to see how hair painted by "Sally" comes out.

I, too, have some gray on the top that resists the color, not too much but right on the hairline/part. So even if I get it professionally done, it doesn't last long...I'd kill to be able to touch it up myself. I'm super scared to mess it up and have it turn orange/copper.

Brett

Hmmm... Not sure I have any of mine. I don't tend to take photos of my own hair...or myself at all, really. I might have one of my daughter's hair. Let me see if I can find one.

Yeah, being a child of a Depression-era Mom, I cannot see paying salon fees for everything. I do get a good haircut, but do color on my own. If you really mess it up, you can always fix it. They have products for everything. If all else fails, color it darker!

I got the book "the hair colour mix book" from Amazon. I didn't pay much. It is very helpful if you are nervous.

But, one criticism I have of the book is that she only suggests supermarket box colour. I do not understand why she didn't suggest Sally's. She does a bit of mixing colours and it would be very expensive to start mixing different boxes. It is much cheaper to go to Sally's.

She gives good instruction about how to highlight and a few other things. I have been dying my own hair for years and still found a couple small tidbits that were useful. But, for a beginner it would be very reassuring.

Just stay within your general colour family and it should be ok. Don't try to go from dark to light or the other direction without getting some professional help. Some people can do that on their own successfully, but they really know what they are doing. But, anyone can cover her (or his) grey or jazz up their colour and do a great job.

TranquilMind, I am also wondering how you do the highlights. I use the Ion color for my base but go to the salon for highlights about once a year because I am just not sure I can get it right on my own. It costs me over $200 for cut/highlights so I would love to save half of that if I could achieve the same look at home.

TranquilMind, I am also wondering how you do the highlights. I use the Ion color for my base but go to the salon for highlights about once a year because I am just not sure I can get it right on my own. It costs me over $200 for cut/highlights so I would love to save half of that if I could achieve the same look at home.

I just paint highlights on with a lighter color. I've also used a boxed white highlights (we are blondes). It's only on the top and concentrated near the front when I do my own. I've gone all around my daughter's head with great results. Just paint on a long stripe and lay it back down gently.

I'm not sure if the results would be the same or not, but it looks pretty good. And it doesn't cost $200!

I'm 38, med/dark brown hair, an a lot of grey...which is quite resistent. Oh, and I am absolutely CLUELESS about home beauty. I just know that I am not wise enough yet for all this grey.

I got tired of paying to have my hair colored...and more to the point, I was tired of trying to arrange childcare. Huge hassle. And I hate sitting in a salon.

I found esalon.com. You basically go through their rather extensive questionaire about your hair color, texture, amount of grey, and what color you want to acheive. They also ask you to upload a photo. Then, they custom mix your hair color.

It is so easy, even a monkey could get it right.

And that works for me.

And, I subscribe so my color kit comes every 6 weeks. Quite nice. And, it only cost $25...which is more expensive than Sally's, but much less than the salon. And I am not savvy enough for Sally's!

I also buy the Ion products from Sally's and get the big bottle of developer and tubes of the color to dye my own. If you get a Sally's card you get a discount too.

I have never heard of gray magic though! I will look into it the next time I am there.

I have dark brown hair and so usually go with 2 shades lighter (closer to dark ash blonde) and it comes out closer to my natural shade. The ladies that work there have been very helpful if you don't know what shade to buy.

Am I understanding you right in that you buy 2 different shades of the hair color and mix them together? Or are you getting a different shade just for the highlights? thanks for a great topic!

I'm too scared to try! :001_huh:

Me, too.

But . . . I have a great hair person in a rural salon. Although salon sounds much too uppity for it. It's a nice, clean, comfy place. Just not fancy. She does a great job and only charges $57 for color and a haircut. And I get to catch up on all the local gossip. She mixes a couple of different colors to get mine right.

I am not a redhead and cannot get rid of the red tone! No matter how dark brown I go it fades to reddish light brown!! I think I may have to look into a trip to Sally's plus using the ACV when I rinse.

I go to Sally for my hair color as well. I have a lot of gray so I color every 5-6 weeks. My hair grabs orange so I always use a color with "ash" in the color name. Then I don't have that issue.

I'm 38, med/dark brown hair, an a lot of grey...which is quite resistent. Oh, and I am absolutely CLUELESS about home beauty. I just know that I am not wise enough yet for all this grey.

I got tired of paying to have my hair colored...and more to the point, I was tired of trying to arrange childcare. Huge hassle. And I hate sitting in a salon.

I found esalon.com. You basically go through their rather extensive questionaire about your hair color, texture, amount of grey, and what color you want to acheive. They also ask you to upload a photo. Then, they custom mix your hair color.

And that works for me.

And, I subscribe so my color kit comes every 6 weeks. Quite nice. And, it only cost $25...which is more expensive than Sally's, but much less than the salon. And I am not savvy enough for Sally's!

I've never heard if this. It sounds awesome! Thx.

I also use the Sally Ion products, but I go with the demi-permanent for my dark brown hair. I go with medium neutral blonde and keep in on for a couple of minutes less than the instructions call for so it doesn't come out too dark. The color does fade a bit after a few weeks, especially over my grays, but it actually ends up looking like highlights. And the plus of the demi-permanent and fading effect is that I don't get severe roots so it's not the end of the world if I'm behind schedule with touch-ups.

I go to Sally for my hair color as well. I have a lot of gray so I color every 5-6 weeks. My hair grabs orange so I always use a color with "ash" in the color name. Then I don't have that issue.

Ah...that could be the answer. I think I was told anything that says "golden" will leave you will reddish undertones.

And that works for me.

Sure, you are savvy enough! But that's a great idea too!

I've always done my own. Eventually I'm going to have to go to the permanent side, but right now I use a professional product called Loreal Richesse.

For those scared to do your own or make the commitment you can order it online. It is a professional salon product. I only know how to use it because my sister went to those designer color schools and I've done it for years.

You need to pick a number, such as 7 or 8 for a medium/dark blond and then numbers after the (.) which correspond to the undertones. Golden, beige, ash etc. I use the 8.31, which is a light/medium blonde and the 31 stands for golden beige which is a good mix. Not too bright, not too dull like ash. 7 is a lighter brown, 5 or 6 are darker browns.

You need the 9 volume developer. Then you just mix one tube with 2.6 ounces of developer and slop it all over. I have a little two sided cup that screws together with measurement markings.

I found some good tips on this web page (scroll down till you reach the section titled "Best DIY Hair Color, Period!".) I cannot use the colour combination she recommends, but I use some of the tips from the section called "Maintaining your color-treated hair".

I've got to agree with everything she says about colouring hair. I haven't read the rest. I also switched over to Wella from Ion (after using Clairol) and noticed a big difference. I was able to stop mixing colours, and just use one single bottle, because Wella just happens to make one that is a dead ringer for my natural hair colour. Lucky me! It was nice to not have to mess around any more. That alone was enough to convince me to switch. But, she is correct that it lasts longer and is very shiny. It is also not monochromatic. My hair looks like, well, my hair. There is a natural variation in the colour.

I also use an oil treatment before I colour, and I got the idea from the same product she did. :lol: I think that is funny. I use coconut oil because I have lots of it. Maybe I will add in avocado oil to see if it makes a difference.

I might splurge on one of those color enhancing conditioners. I have tried some from Sally's and have never found them to be of much use. Maybe a better brand might help?

• 3 weeks later...