Menu

World's Best Father Photos- Prepare to laugh!

As someone said in the comments, if these were depictions of a man and a puppy, they wouldn't be as well received by most people. So what's the difference?

:confused: If I thought it was photoshopped like I think these are I wouldn't have a problem with it. I don't see a difference, other than I'd be less likely to click through if it was going to pictures with a dog.

As someone said in the comments, if these were depictions of a man and a puppy, they wouldn't be as well received by most people. So what's the difference?

The difference is that this photo set plays on the humour of hyperbole... things that are too absurd to be real, or at least to be really done freely, with a smile, as a photo shoot, with the sense of being proud of doing a great job. (Real child abuse happens, but not in a cavalier "whoo-hoo take my picture" manner.) Thus the 'facts' presented by the falisifed photos are funny because they are very far from anybody's reality.

On the other hand, cruelty to animals is not nearly as far from reality. Neither is grinning and taking photos of it. Neither is a cavalier attitude that some people take towards animal welfare. If a person did those things to a puppy, it would be both *plausible* and disgusting -- therefore it's not hyperbole, and it's not funny. (These photos would be disugsting if they were real, but they are simply not plausible, taken the way they are presented. That's the basis of the hyperbole of humour.)

The humour of hyperbole is very dependant on the situation. When I threaten to pop the head off my child and put her body and head to bed at different ends of the bed... to some people that's a terribly violent threat, not to mention and empty threat, and all-round terrible parenting. In my family it is *because* it is so obviously too violent to be real that it is a part of our household humour. It's a joke because it's completely implausible.

Guest submarines
The difference is that this photo set plays on the humour of hyperbole... things that are too absurd to be real, or at least to be really done freely, with a smile, as a photo shoot, with the sense of being proud of doing a great job. (Real child abuse happens, but not in a cavalier "whoo-hoo take my picture" manner.) Thus the 'facts' presented by the falisifed photos are funny because they are very far from anybody's reality.

On the other hand, cruelty to animals is not nearly as far from reality. Neither is grinning and taking photos of it. Neither is a cavalier attitude that some people take towards animal welfare. If a person did those things to a puppy, it would be both *plausible* and disgusting -- therefore it's not hyperbole, and it's not funny. (These photos would be disugsting if they were real, but they are simply not plausible, taken the way they are presented. That's the basis of the hyperbole of humour.)

The humour of hyperbole is very dependant on the situation. When I threaten to pop the head off my child and put her body and head to bed at different ends of the bed... to some people that's a terribly violent threat, not to mention and empty threat, and all-round terrible parenting. In my family it is *because* it is so obviously too violent to be real that it is a part of our household humour. It's a joke because it's completely implausible.

Great points. Thanks.

Personally I found the first one funny, but I think there are way too many of them in the series to sustain it.

It hits a particular kind of funny bone - the kind that is a bit sarcastic and over the top. ie. My kind of funny bone. I didn't laugh at loud, it isn't that sort of humor for me, but I did appreciate it. And I appreciated the artistry behind the making of it. Obviously no babies were harmed or even put in harm's way in the making of those pictures.

This. I often finish my munchkins' "I want..., or I need...." sentences, with "A Kick in the pants? Great, I can definitely give/get you a kick in the pants." They roll their eyes at me. :tongue_smilie: