Menu

Okay, Americans, how many wives does the King of Swaziland have?

Well, four would be true if it was a Muslim country. However, the number ten comes to mind. Googling. Huh, not a bad guess on my part.

My understanding was he took a new one every year, but I don't know if he does. No one seems to know how many wives he has.

I don't understand the Muslim comment. Not every head or ruling monarch of a Muslim-dominated country has four wives. The emir of Qatar, for example, has three, one of whom spends most of her time promoting education for girls and women and other causes. The king of Morocco has one. The Sultan of Brunei has only one at present (having divorced two others). The elected (yes, you read that right) king of Malaysia has one. The emir of Kuwait is a widower (since 1990).

The best estimate I can find right now is somewhere around 12-14. What's hilarious is that he banned sex for those under 18 and then married one. However apparently he cannot actually marry someone until she becomes pregnant (by him, I am assuming). He is a rather fetching fellow, and, look, he's wearing a skirt/kilt!

160px-King_of_Swaziland.jpg

But the most interesting thing is that he and his mother rule concurrently. Her title of Queen Mother, when translated into English, means The Great She-Elephant.

The King was inaugurated about 20 years ago when my sister was in the Peace Corp in Swaziland. I think that he gets at least one a year. So I'd guess he has at least 20 wives.

Wow. It is true the British "royalty" still only get to have one wife (at a time) not including mistresses? :D

Bill

160px-King_of_Swaziland.jpg

Wow. Quite the hottie. I am trying to imagine him in a "Hey Girl" .

Nope. :auto: Which is not to say he can't be an awesome husband to 15 wives. I'm thinking it's like he travels two weeks out of every month. Well, maybe he needs a few days of rest before starting over.

Truly. All the perks of being the wife of a king without having to see him very often. That could work. :)

Edited by LibraryLover

I could be wrong but I think that in theory Muslim men are allowed up to four wives at one time. I could be wrong, though. Did I mention that my information my not be correct?

You said, "Well, four would be true if it was a Muslim country," and my point was that not everyone has four; I checked various rulers and found plenty who have zero to three. So having four wives isn't a foregone conclusion, which was how I read your comment.

Anyhow this guy gets two wives "given" to him when he takes office. The whole thing is just...odd.

I just want to know what religions and/or cultures allow women to have multiple husbands. I'm considering moving. :)

Tibet, Nepal, some tribes in Bhutan, Rajasthan, Zanskar, Ladakh (sp ?), the Toda area of South India, the Massai tribe of Kenya and Tanzania, and a small tribe that begins with M in China whose name escapes me at present.

If China continues to grow a lopsided male/female ratio (currently 120:100) which projections for that gap to increase greatly when the study comes out, then there is talk of polyandry and especially in the rural regions in which boys were preferred even moreso than in urban environments...many of their abandoned female babies have been adopted out of the country over the years, worsening their potential "marriage" situation for the boys. But, it's all speculation. No one knows if there will be a major cultural shift or not.

Amazon cultures have had, at different times, tribes that practiced polyandry within the matriarchial cultural groups.

Faith

the Massai tribe of Kenya and Tanzania

They are polygynous too. I am not sure it's quite polyandry as we would imagine it (two husbands or whatever), but more of an open marriage within men of a certain group, but they count as the husband's child if she becomes pregnant. I think the issue of establishing paternity is typically important to some cultures; that and women being the one to be pregnant tend to make this less practical, but it does exist.

Edited by stripe