Menu

What other good chapter books for kid reading Magic Tree House?

tammyw

DS6 just read his first Magic Tree House book yesterday :) I sat with him and helped him where needed (surprisingly not a lot). I mostly just had to gave him the correct vowel sound, or give him a rule like "when two vowels go a walking, the first one does the talking".

I was wondering if there are other books of this level of reading that you might suggest for him also? I want to keep the excitement going and I know he will be looking for books other than just Magic Tree House books.

(An aside, what's with their choppy sentence?!)

Moongobble series, Secret of Droon, Dragon Slayer's Academy, Timewarp Trio, ....

I cannot WAIT until I can empty those books off my bookcase. It feels like we have thousands of them

And then I will get all weepy and miss them :lol:

I was all excited about that reading stage for my Eldest. He read the first 3 Moongooble books, and 3 Littles books, and the 4 catwings books - then jumped up to the "Enchanted Forest" series.

I have read to my boys tons, but with the exception of the above listed books never got to experience that stage in reading. ... Well perhaps I will with youngest. :)

I was all excited about that reading stage for my Eldest. He read the first 3 Moongooble books, and 3 Littles books, and the 4 catwings books - then jumped up to the "Enchanted Forest" series.

I have read to my boys tons, but with the exception of the above listed books never got to experience that stage in reading. ... Well perhaps I will with youngest. :)

We had a similar issue. My kids just found these books dull. I really advocate for them all the time because I think they're important! And I honestly think my kids would have become better readers faster if they'd done them. But ds read a couple of MTH, a couple of A to Z Mysteries, a few Secrets of Droon, a Moongobble and then... forget it. And his twin just refused altogether. The first proper chapter book he read was How to Eat Fried Worms.

They did love Stink and Judy Moody. Those have been read and even (gasp, because it almost never happens here) reread some.

Carole Marsh Mysteries. My dc love them because they are mysteries, but also because each one takes place in a different state/city, and they learn all about the area.

I agree. I had to find something other than Secrets of Droon, and DD did learn a lot from Marsh's books. It helps that her books have large text.

Maybe Geronimo Stilton. I say maybe because I didn't like them, but DD did and read them about the same time as MTH books. All those colors and different fonts bug me, but I wasn't reading them.

:lol: I know, parents complain, but so far, I haven't heard a little child ask that question. I just talked with a second grader, and he was telling me that he was reading MTH books. He told me that they were CHAPTER books, obviously very proud of himself. He really emphasized the chapter part. :D.

I've come to realize that I'm glad she wrote choppy sentences with likable characters and intriguing places. A beginning reader does not need complex sentence structure. He just needs to enjoy the series and move on, proud of his accomplishment.

:lol: I know, parents complain, but so far, I haven't heard a little child ask that question. I just talked with a second grader, and he was telling me that he was reading MTH books. He told me that they were CHAPTER books, obviously very proud of himself. He really emphasized the chapter part. :D.

I've come to realize that I'm glad she wrote choppy sentences with likable characters and intriguing places. A beginning reader does not need complex sentence structure. He just needs to enjoy the series and move on, proud of his accomplishment.

I definitely agree that they're easy to read which is great! And since he is just learning to pause appropriately, sometimes he puts two or three sentences together that should really be one :)

The A to Z Mysteries are a little higher level, but not too much. My boys enjoy them.

The same author (Ron Roy) has a series called the Calendar Mysteries. It is at an easier reading level than A to Z. There is Capitol Mysteries too, but maybe at the same reading level than A to Z.

DS6 just read his first Magic Tree House book yesterday :) I sat with him and helped him where needed (surprisingly not a lot). I mostly just had to gave him the correct vowel sound, or give him a rule like "when two vowels go a walking, the first one does the talking".

I was wondering if there are other books of this level of reading that you might suggest for him also? I want to keep the excitement going and I know he will be looking for books other than just Magic Tree House books.

If he enjoys MTH, I suggest you let him read all of them he can (including fact trackers) until he finishes or is past that stage. There is a lot there both for reading advancement and also for getting bits of exposure to other ideas/places (more if you do the fact trackers). My ds is still referring back to the fact trackers as how he knows about all sorts of things, and I am sorry that he grew out of MTH before he finished the entire series including the later Merlin Missions.

Sometimes it is better not to rush to the next book or series, but to savor and fully use the current stage and material.

We had a similar issue. My kids just found these books dull. I really advocate for them all the time because I think they're important! And I honestly think my kids would have become better readers faster if they'd done them. But ds read a couple of MTH, a couple of A to Z Mysteries, a few Secrets of Droon, a Moongobble and then... forget it. And his twin just refused altogether. The first proper chapter book he read was How to Eat Fried Worms.

They did love Stink and Judy Moody. Those have been read and even (gasp, because it almost never happens here) reread some.

I wouldn't have minded him staying at that beginner chapter book stage longer since many interesting subjects are covered. But he found them so not worthy of his attention.

I remember before he was even at the beginner chapter book stage. I think it was at the start of "Frog and Toad" he said he couldn't read. I pointed out he could read. He said "Frog and Toad isn't real. Wind in the Willows is real. Untill I can read that it's not reading it's just, just sounding out."

Mind you at the same time his little brother was going around saying "I can read." Mind you he thought being able to sound out "S" and "T" was reading. "Mom, just get me all the books in the library that has only "sss" and "ttt" in it." I did write him a little book held together with stables with various gibberish words such as "sts" and "ts". He liked that book for a time, but after awhile admitted it might be a good idea to learn another letter, or two.

Sometimes it is better not to rush to the next book or series, but to savor and fully use the current stage and material.

:iagree:

I found that my kids loved reading a series from start to finish. I think it's because there is familiarity there. The characters are the same, etc. My kids typically did MTH, A-Z, A few Geronomoe Stilton.

Even at 10 & 12 my children will read a series start to finish.

It seems he is enjoying jumping around. DD9 gave him Roald Dahl's Magic Finger last night, and weirdly, he is reading that one better even than Magic School Bus. It just seems to flow better for him. Anyway, I'm going to order a bunch more books for him from the library based on the recommendations above.

Thanks so much for all the ideas! And for reminding me of the books dd9 read when she was at that stage. It's funny how easy it can be to forget!

Oh my but he has lofty goals. Unbeknownst to me, he pulled out our abridged version of Moby Dick. This from a kid who would hardly read aloud a page from the easy readers last week. I don't think he'll want to stick with Moby dick too long, but you never know I guess. It's just weird!

Oh my but he has lofty goals. Unbeknownst to me, he pulled out our abridged version of Moby Dick. This from a kid who would hardly read aloud a page from the easy readers last week. I don't think he'll want to stick with Moby dick too long, but you never know I guess. It's just weird!

We have jumps, too! ... but not ER to Moby Dick (even abridged!)

Button likes MTH and also Third Grade Detectives, though TGD is more twaddly: not redeeming at all, in terms of literature OR information. I liked it b/c they got him reading happily, and also b/c I want him familiar with the detective genre.

... who is so amazing about these things!

This is a response and excellent booklist she posted on my thread about a step up from 3rd Grade Detectives, which I think is similar in difficulty to MTH.

Thank you!!

So far he is doing the best wit Magic Finger (we all love Roald Dahl so this makes me happy). I think he picked up Moby dick just to see if he could do it. He is just so pleased with himself and wants to just read and read. It's such a new and exciting thing that I can understand. Once you can read well, the world is a much different place!