Menu

How to get rid of a prank caller?

Tap

I have had 2 prank calls the past two nights.

What is the best way to get someone to back off if he calls again?

Just hang up?

I edited out the details so he can't search for what he said and find me on the internet. It was pretty innocuous, but I think he is just getting started.

Edited by Tap, tap, tap

Write down the dates and time, and what was said. Just hang up, and if it happens again tonight call your police department tomorrow. With times they can find the call, and it is probably a teen. The police can show up, and let mom and dad know what they are up to. You are educating them about actions and consequences:D

Or, like the pp said, coaches whistle.

You can get your phone to not accept blocked/private numbers. It goes to a message saying you don't accept those calls and what the dialer needs to do to unblock the number

Maybe I will try this for a few nights. I will just need to remember to turn it back on during the day (we get business calls that I have to be able to accept). I just looked on Vonage and it is a simple process to turn off/on again. That way if he just grabs a different phone, he will still be blocked. I know there are ways around this, but lets hope he isn't that tech savy.

I have had 2 prank calls the past two nights.

What is the best way to get someone to back off if he calls again?

Just hang up?

I edited out the details so he can't search for what he said and find me on the internet. It was pretty innocuous, but I think he is just getting started.

Airhorn.

Write down the dates and time, and what was said. Just hang up, and if it happens again tonight call your police department tomorrow. With times they can find the call, and it is probably a teen. The police can show up, and let mom and dad know what they are up to. You are educating them about actions and consequences:D

Or, like the pp said, coaches whistle.

So far he hasn't said anything lewd, so there isn't anything to report. He is just annoying me at this point.

We had a wee hours of the morning prank caller awhile ago. We needed to leave the ringer on in case someone connected with DH's work would call, so that wasn't an option. My solution was to have the phone close at hand when we went to bed. If it rang, took a quick look at the caller ID, if it was a masked number, turned on the cordless phone, then turned it off again without saying hello or listening at all. It took away the attention aspect.

Erica in OR

You can try dialing *69 immediately after they call you and it should call them back.

This worked for us although it was several years ago. Boy was the crank caller surprised when I called him back.

Really? We had so many crank callers when I was a kid, from the stupid kid sort to the dirty old men variety, and I honestly haven't gotten one in years. *69 has solved that problem, even before people had caller ID. I guess some people are too young or dumb to know about it, but that is pretty surprising.

I would report this person to the police.

I agree with what the others have written, including reporting it to the police. However, I thought I'd chime in anyway with what I did quite a number of years ago when I got crank calls - both the annoying kind and the lewd kind. As a Christian, I interrupted their monologue and began telling them the gospel. With one exception, it worked. The exception was sometimes lewd but predominately a "breather", a constant caller, and always when dh wasn't home, even when his schedule would change with no rhyme or reason. That caller obviously knew when I was alone - we reported it and had our number changed. Before long, we actually learned who that particular caller was; it was a very sad case and it ended badly (for him, by his own choice). Since the internet is too public, I don't want to tell the details. All the other callers stopped when they realized that, not only were they *seemingly* not upsetting me, but they were hearing the gospel message pleasantly presented each and every time.