Menu

Airplane snacks - TSA?

rgrin

Our 7-hour flight leaves at 6:00am and I'm not sure we'll have a chance to get breakfast or be able to afford an airline lunch. I would like to pack NutriGrain bars, Sweet & Salty bars, Stretch Island Fruit Leather, and homemade trail mix. Think I'll have any trouble getting this stuff through TSA?

Man, I hate flying! :glare:

I always take my yogurt on morning flights - I do it knowing it might be confiscated - BUT it's never been confiscated yet!!

I always take an empty water bottle with me and fill it up in the restroom or drinking fountain after I go through security.

Anne

Depending on the age of the child liquids and juice are allowed. I brought through two sealed can's of juice for my 20 month old, they questioned me, threatened they would need to pat me down, etc over the juice, I said ok, please do my daughter has food allergies and I want to make sure she has something safe to drink. They put it through the sniffer and never patted me down so I do not know what that was all about.

I thought I remember reading that some people have had problems with empty bottles. I believe the ones that have been confiscated previously were empty reusable ones (which is ridiculous IMHO). Might not want to risk an expensive reusable.

My friend travels a great deal and takes pizza, sandwiches, fruit, etc. with her.

Her past 2 trips she even took EGGS----a dozen of our farm fresh eggs--with her in her carry on........headed to Barrow, Alaska. The first TSA agent did a double take but had no problem with it...........she also had celery, cans of pie filling, etc. with her. The things that got her the most were the bags of flour and sugar. Living in the arctic circle means it is MUCH cheaper to buy groceries here and carry them on with her.

I thought I remember reading that some people have had problems with empty bottles. I believe the ones that have been confiscated previously were empty reusable ones (which is ridiculous IMHO). Might not want to risk an expensive reusable.

Hmmm....I fly fairly often, always carrying my battered stainless water bottle. The only thing that has raised a TSA eyebrow is flying with frozen crab. They let it through after inspection.

And no semisoft cheese. I have had that confiscated.

I *always* pack a ton of food when I fly, and am usually happy I did. I never assume the airline will feed us, or that we'll be able to buy food during the journey. I also assume we may be delayed for 24 hours.

If the flight is uneventful, we have snacks to take with us on outings for the next few days. If the plane is delayed (which seems to hit me more than others), we are prepared and well-fed and unstressed.