Menu

iPads and School

cara

DD just won an iPad over the weekend as a prize in a spelling bee, so I'm :bigear:

So far, I've loaded iTunes U onto it, and the Spelling Bee Master National app to prep for upcoming bees this fall/winter.

Wow! That is so cool - what a great prize!!!

Congratulations to your dd for her achievement in the spelling bee!!! :hurray:

My 4 yo plays a Spanish letter app. Dd1 reads the Spanish books from pacoelchato.com on it. She also does MM, Rosetta Stone, writes her AAS words and sentences, and I teach from BSFU and RSO. We have Grammarland worksheets with the audio as well as SOTW on audio. We also use the free brain pop apps, regular, junior and Spanish. I also just bought the Miquon PDF to use on the iPad. I really like using the iPad for school! I wish WWW and AAS had PDF versions. :)

We have had our iPad about 10 days and use it all the time.. It is so small and convenient, no need to rearrange everything if you want to look up a word or see a quick video or google. You can go to it without breaking stride.

IPad is also wonderful for pdfs. We have some in Notability -- things we want to write on, like math Mammoth. Other pdfs are in iBooks -- like maps for reference. Oh, for writing, you will need a stylus, such as Targus.

Some apps we have:

Algebra Touch -- addictive

App Shopper -- tells when apps go on sale

Bamboo Paper

Better Weather

Brain Games

BrainPOP

Britannica Kids

Calculator HD -- wow!

Dictionary.com -- just one of many dictionary apps

Evernote -- multimedia notes

Dropbox -- good way to transfer files

The Elements: A Visual Exploration -- BIG file

Flashcardlet

iBooks

imathematica

Mathemagics

iBooks -- you can put pdfs here vis iTunes

Notability -- leys you write on pdfs

iStudiezPro -- for kids in school -- GREAT

Knoys 3D

Math Bingo

Math Spin

Rocket math

Netflix

Pages

PaperPort Notes

Rush Hour

Cut the Rope

Sketchbook Express

Star Walk

Tangrams

Wikiipanion -- wiki is easier to read with this

Wolfram Alpha

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/showthread.php?t=227979&highlight=ipad+apps

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/showthread.php?t=415679

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/showthread.php?t=241275&highlight=ipad+apps&page=2

Edited by Alessandra

DD just won an iPad over the weekend as a prize in a spelling bee, so I'm :bigear:

So far, I've loaded iTunes U onto it, and the Spelling Bee Master National app to prep for upcoming bees this fall/winter.

Congrats to your DD. That's awesome!

I put all of the PDFs on my iPad. If we are out and about, Dd uses the iPad for math (Math Mammoth). We have a few apps that are educational like Dragon Box, Quell (I've concluded it's logic), and a few games that I've deemed worthy of Dd's time, like Cut The Rope and Where's The Water.

I mainly use it when I'm waiting during extracurricular activities. I type up Latin exercises on Notability, email it to myself, and go home to print. I read through all the vintage books to see which ones are worthwhile to use. I managed to read through a couple of math books from Taiwan during one swim class.

Oh, I bought a few children's foreign books in Chinese, French, and Spanish. These apps have a read aloud feature.

One last thing, when we're unsure of a word in French, I found an app that pronounces the word by native speakers.

• All homeschool PDF curricula live on the ipad and are synced via SugarSync
  • Student PDFs are on each child's iPad; oldest does most of her work with a stylus on the iPad.
  • Airplay streaming to the Apple TV: videos, images, maps, and electronic whiteboard on my HDTV.
  • Simplex Spell Phonics series of apps
  • MathBoard for math facts
  • History timeline apps
  • Documentaries via netflix app (my oldest daughter has so much instant queued I can't use the feature lol)
  • BrainPOP
  • Kindle books. So many classic children's books are FREE!

To put it bluntly, iPads are engaging my kids in school to a higher degree. They love being able to see maps of areas we are reading about in SOTW. I've even used a middle/high school biology textbook to supplement our life science curriculum. They love it.

My son used to use bamboo paper for scratch paper for math

dont underestimate google earth - so convenient while reading history to pop out an interactive map where i can zoom in and out!

dictionary.com app, dragon box, math ninja, night sky

and yes, i love having pdf's of curricula on it so i can read anywhere i go

• 2 weeks later...

• All homeschool PDF curricula live on the ipad and are synced via SugarSync
  • Student PDFs are on each child's iPad; oldest does most of her work with a stylus on the iPad.
  • Airplay streaming to the Apple TV: videos, images, maps, and electronic whiteboard on my HDTV.
  • Simplex Spell Phonics series of apps
  • MathBoard for math facts
  • History timeline apps
  • Documentaries via netflix app (my oldest daughter has so much instant queued I can't use the feature lol)
  • BrainPOP
  • Kindle books. So many classic children's books are FREE!

To put it bluntly, iPads are engaging my kids in school to a higher degree. They love being able to see maps of areas we are reading about in SOTW. I've even used a middle/high school biology textbook to supplement our life science curriculum. They love it.

I wish I could come to your house for lessons on how to use our iPad so well!