Menu

your absolutre favorite read alouds

LEK

I am after suggestions for your absolute favorite read aloud novels for 4-6 year old girls. We have the worst library ever so I have to buy everything. At the minute I at wanting to buy them 2 books each for christmas (postage takes forever). We have enough picture books to open our own library so do not need any more of those.

If you could buy only 2 novels each what would you get for a just turned 4 year old and a nearly 6 year old?

Thanks!

I am after suggestions for your absolute favorite read aloud novels for 4-6 year old girls. We have the worst library ever so I have to buy everything. At the minute I at wanting to buy them 2 books each for christmas (postage takes forever). We have enough picture books to open our own library so do not need any more of those.

If you could buy only 2 novels each what would you get for a just turned 4 year old and a nearly 6 year old?

Thanks!

My Father's Dragon for 4, Maroo of the Winter Caves for 6. Both will enjoy MFD.

Charlotte's Web and Island of the Blue Dolphin.

I was going to suggest My Father's Dragon also. There are actually three books in the series available in one volume, called Three Tales of My Father's Dragon. The sequels aren't as well loved as the first, but if you have to wait on shipping it might be worth it to get the three books in one.

Another one we loved when my son was 6yo was The Wonderful Wizard of Oz. Charlotte's Web would be good too.

Another vote for My Fathers's Dragon:D

My kids loved classic books like

The Wind in the Willows, Winnie the Pooh, Tales of Beatrix Potter, Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass etc. These come in beautiful editions that are not too expensive. the Alice books illustrated by Helen Oxenbury are beautiful....and our Wind in the Willow is illustrated by Garth Williams ( Little House on the Prairie....which would also make a great read aloud for your kids).

You may also want to go onto Ambleside Online....many of these classic books are available free online for kindle, nook or reader......or you can get an app for your iPad or pc to read them on.

My kids loved Mr. Popper's Penguins too. Two other books or rather series they enjoyed immensely are Milly Molly Mandy by Joyce Lankester Brisley and The Bantry Bay series by Hilda Van Stockum. Both these series are delightful. The first is set in a little village in England is about a little girl. The second is set in Ireland and is about a little boy! But both sexes will enjoy both sets of books.

For picture books, dd loves The Chocolate Cat and really, it is so luscious I don't mind rereading it. Her absolute favourite that she loves so much she reads it to me twenty times a day is the Seven Chinese Sisters.

Everyone should have The Secret Garden too. My brother heard it for the first time earlier this year and plans to buy a dog and call it Dickon, lol.

:)

Rosie

Ariel hated My Father's Dragon, but loved (I mean LOVED) Black Beauty when she was 4. She's always been a horse crazy kid, though. In general for those ages:

Winnie the Pooh and A Bear Called Paddington for the 4 year old.

The Secret Garden (the one illustrated by Inga Moore is lovely) and Pippi Longstocking for the 6 year old.

ALL of the Little House on the Prairie books

Winnie-the-Pooh

Milly-Molly-Mandy

Another for, My Father's Dragon

Mister Popper's Penquins

Beatrix Potter's books (my children, especially my girls love these)

Edited by SFM
more

Have you looked online to see what you can find for cheap or free. We are in a similar situtation where is very expernsive to ship and we don't have acess to a library. I have been able to find alot online for free to read off my kindle and I know they have problems that let you do it off computers. I would probaly see whats out there first so as to buy stuff you can't find with out buying. We are going through Sonlight Core A Read Alouds this year and have really enjoyed them.

My Father's dragon series is awesome! We have also really enjoyed DR Dollittle which is free if you look on amazon. Currently we are reading Charrlottes Web which is a huge hit!

My Father's Dragon for 4, Maroo of the Winter Caves for 6. Both will enjoy MFD.

Charlotte's Web and Island of the Blue Dolphin.

I am really glad you posted this. I just checked Maroo out from the library b/c I wanted a chapter book read aloud that went with the 1st chapter of SOTW1. It's good to know that it's appropriate for a 6 yr old.