Tap Posted September 7, 2012 Share Posted September 7, 2012 (edited) DD13 wanted to change private schools this year. She was in a very small private school for 6-7th, but this year, enrollment dropped even lower (only 7 incl her in 7th/8th combined) so she did not want to return to the smaller school for 8th grade. We spent months looking at schools, me visiting schools, research, interviews, her doing day long visits, discussing, applying and all that fun stuff. (She was homeschooled k-5) She chose a school a month ago. We really felt that it would be an amazing fit for her. She was very excited to go, hardly sleeping for the weeks ahead of starting classes. It goes through highschool, has sports each season, a good academic record and is close to the house so we don't have to carpool. Class started yesterday. She had classes and then soccer practice (a new sport for her). She came home in tears saying she hated it. We talked for a long time last night, she went to school today. Today she came home in a better mood, saying it was a bit better, but I let her skip soccer practice when she asked without much resistance (tired from PE endurance testing, up until midnight talking, over 90* outside). Over the evening, she has started tearing up again. Saying she doesn't want to go there and it makes her sad when she thinks about it. She says she is sad at school. She isn't a crier normally. This is pretty unusual for her. I don't know what to do. I know her old school would welcome her back. I don't think it is the right place for her though. She would get a good education but not a good social situation. She would be one of 5 neurotypical kids in her class, 1 with Aspergers, 1 with ODD. I haven't paid tuition at the new school yet. I will pay it on Monday. If she is going to leave, now is the time to do it. When I talked to her old school last week, the head of school told me they still have her scholarship open. It is the only way she can go back to the old school, as we can't afford tuition there if she isn't on scholarship. If we wait to move her, the scholarship will be gone. My instinct says that she just needs time to adjust to the new school. But she is breaking my heart by crying to go back to her old school. Her new school is $3000 more than the old school, so if she went back to the old school, we would have more money to play with for extracurriculars. Homeschooling is an option, but not a good one for her. She really, really loves the social part of school. I am so burnt out on school shopping. We had school changes for her, ds a university change at the last minute, and a special needs program for dd5. I have looked at and talked to people at well over 20 schools in the past 3 months for all of them, each needing different things. I was happy to finally have things settled. UGGGGHHHH! Edited September 7, 2012 by Tap, tap, tap Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.