Menu

MCT Paragraph Town: What the &*#$@???

Chrysalis Academy

Ok, I know others have posted about moments when they wanted to throw an MCT book across the room - I just had my first one!! On p. 59 of Paragraph Town, the ducks are discussing a scrambled paragraph, one that contains sentences about insects and sentences about ducks. Then Queequack says "Is there any sentence that might have been in either group" Fishmeal says yes, the one about the spinal cord, which reads "They are vertebrates, with a spinal chord extending through their bodies."

So then Queequack answers "Right, birds and insects are both animals, and both have spinal chords for their nervous systems." :001_huh:

So not only are we studying biology, but Miss P is also crazy about insects. She is going to flip her lid when we read this!! :lol::lol::lol:

Sigh. I love MCT's materials, but I really, really wish they would hire a good copy editor!

Ok, I know others have posted about moments when they wanted to throw an MCT book across the room - I just had my first one!! On p. 59 of Paragraph Town, the ducks are discussing a scrambled paragraph, one that contains sentences about insects and sentences about ducks. Then Queequack says "Is there any sentence that might have been in either group" Fishmeal says yes, the one about the spinal cord, which reads "They are vertebrates, with a spinal chord extending through their bodies."

So then Queequack answers "Right, birds and insects are both animals, and both have spinal chords for their nervous systems." :001_huh:

So not only are we studying biology, but Miss P is also crazy about insects. She is going to flip her lid when we read this!! :lol::lol::lol:

Sigh. I love MCT's materials, but I really, really wish they would hire a good copy editor!

Yeah, we got a good laugh about that one. We have decided that MCT is good at grammar, but has a lot to learn about biology!

That one is the most egregious, but we also realized that the bird in Grammar/Sentence Island is not a sandpiper, but a woodcock. Woodcocks' habitat is woodlands, not island shorelines. (Yes, they are related to sandpipers and found in the same section of the bird guide. But sorry, different habitats).

Yes, he is in desperate need of a copy editor (although we have loved the materials).

I vaguely remember doing a double-take on that one. My ds is big on animals. I told him not to worry about it and moved on . . . we just were desperate for help in how to write a paragraph!

i still want to know if anyone else wanted to scratch their eyes out (like we did) after the squirrels essay in voyage . . .

I vaguely remember doing a double-take on that one. My ds is big on animals. I told him not to worry about it and moved on . . . we just were desperate for help in how to write a paragraph!

i still want to know if anyone else wanted to scratch their eyes out (like we did) after the squirrels essay in voyage . . .

We haven't gotten to that chapter yet, but I think my boys will like this one! (I looked ahead--it's a passage by John Muir)

"They are vertebrates, with a spinal chord extending through their bodies."

This came up on the MCT group a while back. I believe that MCT stood by the statement--something about a nerve cord maybe?

Uh, no, sorry. A nerve cord does not have vertebral column nor is it a spinal cord. And insects are most definitely classified as invertebrates. The vertebrae are the bones around the spinal cord, after all - Vertebrates have the bones, invertebrates don't. Insects do not have bones. And the term spinal cord also refers to the bones - the spine is the bones around the chord itself - no spine, no spinal cord.

But I also thought I remember seeing this discussed, and that he said "my bad". Well, something to that effect. :)

Uh, no, sorry. A nerve cord does not have vertebral column nor is it a spinal cord. And insects are most definitely classified as invertebrates. The vertebrae are the bones around the spinal cord, after all - Vertebrates have the bones, invertebrates don't. Insects do not have bones. And the term spinal cord also refers to the bones - the spine is the bones around the chord itself - no spine, no spinal cord.

But I also thought I remember seeing this discussed, and that he said "my bad". Well, something to that effect. :)

LOL. Somehow I have a hard time imagining MCT saying "My bad." :lol:

I just looked it up, because I remember being amazed at his response about the nerve cord, but I must have dreamed the whole thing, because what I found was him saying that he knew it was an error and he thought it had been corrected. So, *my* bad!