Menu

Are pregnant women allowed an occassional ridiculous splurge?

Well, I just ordered 10 pkgs of Thornton's Toffee and it's gonna be MINE! ALL MINE, I tell you!

Anyone not familiar with the most spectacularly luscious English Toffee should simply avert their eyes. No need to create unnecessary longings.

I've been looking for this toffee for 4 years. My college roommate, who lives in Oxford, England sent me some in a care package. Naturally, I gobbled it up and never took note of the brand. But I finally found it. Thornton's. All natural. No added emulsifiers. You can find it in the U.S. in specialty British food shops (online), but it normally runs $4.50 per package. Or you could order from the UK and spend about $50 for 1 package. But, I was able to order 10 pkgs for $27.30 including shipping.

Oh joy. I think pregnant women should be allowed a ridiculous splurge on occassion. :)

Well, I just ordered 10 pkgs of Thornton's Toffee and it's gonna be MINE! ALL MINE, I tell you!

Anyone not familiar with the most spectacularly luscious English Toffee should simply avert their eyes. No need to create unnecessary longings.

I've been looking for this toffee for 4 years. My college roommate, who lives in Oxford, England sent me some in a care package. Naturally, I gobbled it up and never took note of the brand. But I finally found it. Thornton's. All natural. No added emulsifiers. You can find it in the U.S. in specialty British food shops (online), but it normally runs $4.50 per package. Or you could order from the UK and spend about $50 for 1 package. But, I was able to order 10 pkgs for $27.30 including shipping.

Oh joy. I think pregnant women should be allowed a ridiculous splurge on occassion. :)

Oh no, Dear! I think it could be positively detrimental to your health and the health of your baby to consume such copious amounts of sugar and fat. So, being the good friend that I am, I am going to save you from this path of self-destruction. I'll just take the candy with me for safe keeping, okay?

Oh no, Dear! I think it could be positively detrimental to your health and the health of your baby to consume such copious amounts of sugar and fat. So, being the good friend that I am, I am going to save you from this path of self-destruction. I'll just take the candy with me for safe keeping, okay?

:iagree: Not to be a "kill-joy", but you're eating for "two" and fat and sugar are not what a growing baby needs to thrive.

You asked :001_smile:

Bill

:iagree: Not to be a "kill-joy", but you're eating for "two" and fat and sugar are not what a growing baby needs to thrive.

You asked :001_smile:

Bill

Well, no, of course not. I'm not planning to eat it all at once :tongue_smilie: - a small piece or two a day won't hurt.

Splurge away! I'm happily eating from a bag of Twix that hubby picked up for me.

I made an expensive splurge (note...mistake) today. I ordered two movies for my boys from Amazon.de. Just two movies. With the conversion rate right now I spent just over $60. Oy! I was a spur of the moment purchase, and I've tried to cancel. I tried to cancel just 2 hours after placing the order and I can't. They've already processed the order. Sigh. Darn efficient Germans. So now I have to live with the fact that I just spent $60 on two kid movies.

(Please note, I am German therefore I can say what I want about Germans.;))

Not to be a "kill-joy", but you're eating for "two" and fat and sugar are not what a growing baby needs to thrive.

wait a sec-- are you saying that i probably shouldn't have ordered and eaten an 8 pound box of dried crunchy marshmallow bits?? [do you guys KNOW how big a box that is? lol].

thankfully babies can and do thrive w/ lots of fats and sugars and cokes [well, 5 of them can anyway....]...... as long as you still have a lot of other healthy stuff for them. ;)

*Cindy stuffs a piece of confiscated toffee in Bill's mouth before he REALLY gets himself into trouble. Then she helps herself to a few of Peek's crunchy marshmallow bits*

*Peek informs Cindy that those crunchy marshmallow bits are lethal in a marshmallow shooter --by all means, let the poor guy speak....*

:D

I was in bed from my 6th week on during my pregnancy, and didn't have a comp then, so I never got a single splurge! And my ex-husband (husband at the time) was a true miser, no splurges for me there, either (hence no comp). So please feel free to do a surrogate splurge for me--it is never too late!!!

Oh. My. Word. I LOVE Thornton's toffee. Where did you order it from?

I ordered it from a store in Nebraska (of all places) - from their very low-tech website. The store is called The Lancashire Lass; you might want to wait until I get my order if you feel a little uncertain about the reliability of the store. You can also get it from the jollygrub website, although last time I looked they were out of Thorntons and it was much more expensive.

An alternative would be to take up a collection and send me to the UK - I'll be happy to purchase as much Toffee and other treats as I can stuff into a suitcase. :)

*Cindy stuffs a piece of confiscated toffee in Bill's mouth before he REALLY gets himself into trouble. Then she helps herself to a few of Peek's crunchy marshmallow bits*

The only time I REALLY got myself into trouble during my marriage was when I tried to explain to the woman who'd just given birth to my son (that would be Mrs Spy Car) how best to achieve "breast-latch".

IF LOOKS COULD KILL.

Piece of toffee dear?

Bill (who learns...slowly)

The only time I REALLY got myself into trouble during my marriage was when I tried to explain to the woman who'd just given birth to my son (that would be Mrs Spy Car) how best to achieve "breast-latch".

IF LOOKS COULD KILL.

Piece of toffee dear?

ROTFLOL!!

now we need some background info ---I take you had at least read up on this [most guys don't!], or have some other experience w/ the procedure? ;)

IF LOOKS COULD KILL.

Piece of toffee dear?

:lol: Hillarious! My dh wouldn't dream of offering such advise. You are brave!

You'll be pleased to know that I have been informed that the store is completely out of Thornton's Toffee. :glare: No toffee for me. I guess it's back to the celery and carrot sticks.

I read in here the other day that kale juice is quite delicious :D

Best wishes for a joy-filled pregnancy :grouphug:

Bill