Menu

Dr. Hive -- a question (not about me, but it's rather gross)

Warning -- not for the tender!

My FIL has had constipation his entire adulthood. Even when he was first married, my MIL would make him senna tea. It's so bad that he has found ways to get it out himself (I won't even describe the process). Recently, his senna tablets have been coming out whole.

He is anemic and takes calcium, iron, a multivitamin, and potassium chloride. He has been losing weight rapidly.

He is 91 years old. He has NEVER been tested by a gastroenterologist for anything but had a colonoscopy years ago.

He lives in the country, has not been upfront about his issues, and he sees the doctor tomorrow for a follow-up for a chest CT-scan. My in-laws are very ignorant of medical things, so I am trying to give them some ideas of what to push for in blood work. I did mention celiac, but I know there are other things like Chron's disease.

Anyone care to input?

He needs to tell his doctor, although he obviously has a problem with that. :confused: I have severe anemia, but iron supplements of any kind have stopped me up to the point I required medical intervention. Calcium too. Either of those could be worsening his condition. Anything that has been going on for 70 years though, is clearly well established. Poor man.

I think it gets worse in the elderly. My dad took Miralax.

Yes, I think it has been too embarrassing to bring up. He even mentioned today that he didn't like his doctor because she is female. Seriously, it's because he doesn't think women should be in the medical profession at all. He is a very old-fashioned man from the boonies of West Virginia.

Finally, as he has aged, I just think he doesn't care about being so private anymore.

I did insist to his wife that she tell the doctor tomorrow. I was proud of him today. They were awaiting the CT scan results. I told them I could call and see if they were available as we popped in to say hello to them today. When the doctor called back, she asked for him. My MIL stood up to take the phone, but he took it in her stead. This is a man who didn't even use a telephone until a year ago. I don't think he would have done that had we not been present.

He needs to tell his doctor he's had weight loss and changes in bowel movements. That will get him the work-up he needs.

Thank you. She is aware of the weight loss, because she advised he drink some Ensures. I am hoping they will be forthcoming tomorrow. I insisted that the doctors cannot help him if they do not know there is a problem.

My husband and I (and his sister) also have power to speak to the doctor, so if they are not successful or bold tomorrow, we plan to contact the doctor. I want to give him a chance to speak for himself. It's truly the most warped situation I have ever seen (his not being able to take initiative).

He needs to tell his doctor he's had weight loss and changes in bowel movements. That will get him the work-up he needs.

:iagree:But, you will need to think about what that includes. My grandfather at 80 something never recovered after mild anesthesia given during a colonoscopy. Then, it was determined he had colon cancer and he agreed to some other minor proceedure and ended up in a coma for too many days, because my grandmother wouldn't turn off life support, somehow came out of that, but was never himself again. He only lived a few short months more and died of complications from that proceedure that is only minor for someone younger and in better health.

Hopefully the doctor can determine the cause, or what actions to take that are less invasive.

:iagree:But, you will need to think about what that includes. My grandfather at 80 something never recovered after mild anesthesia given during a colonoscopy. Then, it was determined he had colon cancer and he agreed to some other minor proceedure and ended up in a coma for too many days, because my grandmother wouldn't turn off life support, somehow came out of that, but was never himself again. He only lived a few short months more and died of complications from that proceedure that is only minor for someone younger and in better health.

Hopefully the doctor can determine the cause, or what actions to take that are less invasive.

Good point. The reason I am leaning more toward a condition is because he has had it his entire adult life. He has seriously been chained to a bathroom struggling. It's horrific to imagine.

He did survive open-heart surgery (bypass) about 5 years ago!

One thing he should be doing is taking magnesium with the calcium. That would help tons. If he takes say 1000 mg of cal. he should be taking 500 mg of mag.

I have had constipations issues all my life and if I take cal without the mag., oh boy!

Thank you!

I suggest he changed to the Gentle Absorb iron which doesn't cause so many constipation issues. He should also be taking some magnesium. I suggest magnesium citrate or absorbate. And considering his condition I would either do away with the calcium entirely or start with at least an equal percentage of magnesium and work up from there until there is some progress in that area. A stool softener might not hurt either.

Edited by KidsHappen

Yes- calcium and magnesium together.

Look into digestive enzymes. pills coming out whole means he is not digesting.

Senna tea? this brand is easy to find. http://www.cvs.com/shop/product-detail/Traditional-Medicinals-Organic-Smooth-Move-Herbal-Tea?skuId=138555

My concern, though, is that he is constipated every single day of his life. He has been this way for 70 years, and he's never told a doctor.

Thank you!

Magnesium glyclinate is the easiest on you, maybe start at 200 mg. and slowly work up. Magnesium can be hard on you, but it gives the effect he needs. :D

Does he drink enough fluids? Is his diet clean with fresh non processed food? Neither my kids or me can take iron supplements. And jury is out on calcium supplements. If you take calcium, you are supposed to take D3, K, and magnesium with it.

Warning -- not for the tender!

My FIL has had constipation his entire adulthood. Even when he was first married, my MIL would make him senna tea. It's so bad that he has found ways to get it out himself (I won't even describe the process). Recently, his senna tablets have been coming out whole.

He is anemic and takes calcium, iron, a multivitamin, and potassium chloride. He has been losing weight rapidly.

He is 91 years old. He has NEVER been tested by a gastroenterologist for anything but had a colonoscopy years ago.

He lives in the country, has not been upfront about his issues, and he sees the doctor tomorrow for a follow-up for a chest CT-scan. My in-laws are very ignorant of medical things, so I am trying to give them some ideas of what to push for in blood work. I did mention celiac, but I know there are other things like Chron's disease.

Anyone care to input?

My Mom had these issues and then died, in a horrific way I will not describe, from a bowel obstruction. Gross or not...get him to the doctor. They have heard it all....especially the elderly and them decompacting themselves:tongue_smilie:

:grouphug:

Unfortunately, magnesium isn't absorbed well though the gut in any form - it's much more readily absorbed through the skin. The best would be for him to use what's called 'magnesium oil' which is simply magnesium chloride dissolved in water until the water can't hold any more. Bathing in epsom salts daily would also be good, but we're talking 1-2 cups of salts per bath and that adds up. The 'oil' is simply sprayed on the skin, and the skin absorbs it well.

Iron in pill form is bad news all around. Constipating (he really needs that!) and bad for the heart. 1 T. of blackstrap molasses a day and you're good to go. Just 15 days of it for a major change in iron levels.

As for the constipation, a lot of that depends on what he eats and how much water he drinks. No amount of supplements or medications can help that. Water and fats lubricate the body - not enough can cause constipation. Not enough fiber - same thing. Cooked veggies are fine - the cooking may destroy the vitamins, but not the minerals, and not the fiber, and you can eat more cooked veggies than raw veggies.

From what you've said, I'd drop out wheat products. Period.

Well, it seems all this really means nothing since tests show his prostate cancer has moved to his chest. The doctor is waiting to tell them tomorrow at their appointment. She wants to discuss hospice care for him because he is not eating.

My SIL called to say the doctor really wants someone there with them because my MIL will really go crazy from the information. My husband, though, is behind on work because it stormed yesterday, and if he just stops mowing lawns, his customers will drop him. He can go up on a weekend, but I know he is going to be so stressed by this. His aerating season begins next week, and he has lawns to spray. It really stinks sometimes being self-employed.

She, on the other hand, lives farther away, but she doesn't want to fly out because she doesn't like being around them. Her husband is in his late 60s and retired, and she doesn't work. They also fly for free because he is retired airline staff. :tongue_smilie:

Unfortunately, magnesium isn't absorbed well though the gut in any form - it's much more readily absorbed through the skin. The best would be for him to use what's called 'magnesium oil' which is simply magnesium chloride dissolved in water until the water can't hold any more. Bathing in epsom salts daily would also be good, but we're talking 1-2 cups of salts per bath and that adds up. The 'oil' is simply sprayed on the skin, and the skin absorbs it well.

Iron in pill form is bad news all around. Constipating (he really needs that!) and bad for the heart. 1 T. of blackstrap molasses a day and you're good to go. Just 15 days of it for a major change in iron levels.

As for the constipation, a lot of that depends on what he eats and how much water he drinks. No amount of supplements or medications can help that. Water and fats lubricate the body - not enough can cause constipation. Not enough fiber - same thing. Cooked veggies are fine - the cooking may destroy the vitamins, but not the minerals, and not the fiber, and you can eat more cooked veggies than raw veggies.

From what you've said, I'd drop out wheat products. Period.

I agree that it isn't absorbed well orally, but that is exactly why it works as a laxative. The magnesium oil doesn't cause loose stools, so wouldn't fix the problem he is having. He wants the oral specifically because it isn't absorbed and will loosen the bowels.

Well, it seems all this really means nothing since tests show his prostate cancer has moved to his chest. The doctor is waiting to tell them tomorrow at their appointment. She wants to discuss hospice care for him because he is not eating.

My SIL called to say the doctor really wants someone there with them because my MIL will really go crazy from the information. My husband, though, is behind on work because it stormed yesterday, and if he just stops mowing lawns, his customers will drop him. He can go up on a weekend, but I know he is going to be so stressed by this. His aerating season begins next week, and he has lawns to spray. It really stinks sometimes being self-employed.

She, on the other hand, lives farther away, but she doesn't want to fly out because she doesn't like being around them. Her husband is in his late 60s and retired, and she doesn't work. They also fly for free because he is retired airline staff. :tongue_smilie:

:grouphug: So sorry. Glad your dh is going to be able to go.

:grouphug: I'm sorry. :grouphug: I still think it is worth discussing with the doctor to make your FIL as comfortable as possible. Constipation is definitely uncomfortable and would decrease his quality of life during the time he has left. :grouphug: I'm glad your dh is able to go up and be with his dad for the appt.