Menu

They don't remember anything :(

Well today was our first day and didn't go anything like I had thought in my head. They had forgotten so much more than I expected. Soooo frustrating. I am doing CLE for Math and Language and My 2nd grader doesn't remember much at all. My 1st grader was stumped on words that I know she can read on her Explode the code and my 6th grader was forgetting all about nouns, adverbs etc. Luckily my K did great but I'm not sure how I'm going to be able to do it. I was hoping my 2nd grader (still needs lots of help on reading) would begin to be a little more independant so I can sit and help my K & 1st. My 6 will be fine but still frustrated on how much he's forgotten. Just needed to vent :(

My second fall of homeschooling nearly did me in. Dd had spent the entire previous year mastering division, but when we started up in the fall she couldn't even remember how to set up a long division problem. I wanted to cry. Actually, I'm pretty sure I cried. My dear friend consoled me by sharing that as a ps teacher, she does almost nothing but review until Thanksgiving. From that time on, we have always done summer math. I don't worry so much about grammar. It's such a finite amount to learn, we just pick up again in the fall. Math, however, just kills me if they lose it. We work so hard to learn those skills!

Fear not, it'll come back!

They never do... ;)

If my DS remembered how to write his name at that age, I felt very fortunate.

And we have always schooled year-round, never taking more than a few weeks off at a time. :001_huh:

My dear friend consoled me by sharing that as a ps teacher, she does almost nothing but review until Thanksgiving.
That is what I have heard, too.

OP, Don't get too frustrated. It is normal. Give them time and ease back in.

After a summer of no formal studies, I think their brains get a 'out of shape'! (Just like physical muscles!)

We always try to ramp up a bit slowly - like we do one week of work over the first two weeks. We start with three to four subjects, going slowly and reviewing, then pick up speed over the next several days. My experience has been that after a couple of weeks, it all starts to come back! They just need to get back in the groove.

Hang in there! :grouphug:

We never take more than two weeks in a row completely off. We generally take off the first and last weeks of summer and one week in the middle of summer. We also have a MUCH lighter schedule in summer. We finish off whatever is left for history and science and then drop those subjects. We keep going with math year-round.

When my dyslexic dd was younger, we couldn't take off more than one week at a time. It took a full month to recover from one week off. Even with just the weekend off, we had to spend all of Monday on review before we could start anything new. The one time I let her take off two weeks in a row, we spent three months catching up to where we had been.

When my dyslexic dd was younger, we couldn't take off more than one week at a time. It took a full month to recover from one week off. Even with just the weekend off, we had to spend all of Monday on review before we could start anything new. The one time I let her take off two weeks in a row, we spent three months catching up to where we had been.

Yes! Every Monday with my ds (also dyslexic) is spent going over things we have done in the past that he swears he has never seen before in his life.

I noticed the same thing today. My daughter had forgotten a lot of her cursive letters that she had been writing so comfortably. Also, so many of the rules on AAS have to be retaught. This whole first summer has been a learning experience for me. No more long summer breaks for us. We'll school year round and take numerous shorter breaks throughout.

On a positive note- at least I learned this early on.

My middle schooler consistently forgets the difference between a noun and a verb. My 5th grader often forgets how to add. My 1st grader forgets the letter sounds. We school year round with a week off here and there.

It is very frustrating, but I think it's normal. I can always tell what kind of day it's going to be by how many of my kids "forget" our daily memorization. We do that first thing to warm up their brains.

Well today was our first day and didn't go anything like I had thought in my head. They had forgotten so much more than I expected. Soooo frustrating. I am doing CLE for Math and Language and My 2nd grader doesn't remember much at all. My 1st grader was stumped on words that I know she can read on her Explode the code and my 6th grader was forgetting all about nouns, adverbs etc. Luckily my K did great but I'm not sure how I'm going to be able to do it. I was hoping my 2nd grader (still needs lots of help on reading) would begin to be a little more independant so I can sit and help my K & 1st. My 6 will be fine but still frustrated on how much he's forgotten. Just needed to vent :(

Your babies are............well, babies. :grouphug:

*gently* Expecting to be any kind of removed, hands-off, less involved with a 2nd grader is unrealistic. They require a great deal of one on one for years to come.

I'll give you a different perspective. My expectations for the first days of school? I guess I figure I'm the one with retained knowledge and that my job is to remind my children of what they do know. Because, well, they're kids! We start with a full-workload on a short week, but those early days are heavily involved in review. By me. My children haven't really forgotten, but they may not have total recall. In the immortal words of Mater in Cars, "Shooooooot!" The days before that first day of school, they were heavily engaged in a couple art projects, and before that, learning how to surf with the big boys and girls. The knowledge of 10 weeks ago is still there, but it is under a couple layers of new knowledge.

For math, I go over on the board the concepts of math they'll be using -- "Do you know what this sign means?" "When reading a word problem, what word would make you think you would need to use that operation?" "What's that operation called again?" A 5 -10 minute warmup (or preamble by me) seems to make all the work go much smoother.

A good speech coach once said to me (a turn of another phrase I believe), "Tell them what you are going to tell them. Tell them. Tell them what you told them. Ask them to tell you what you told them." :D That last part would be where my kids do some work on their own. (In the corporate world, it was often the nitty gritty details of how to customize the broad ideas to one's specific instance). Yeah, it means my 1st grader is hearing about stuff he's never heard before, and my 3rd grader is getting a review of basics she may not need. But, they seem happy to listen, and I try to stay brief. :tongue_smilie: