Menu

anyone ever flown AirTran?

I think I'm close to convincing my DH to go to Florida in December! We've always flown Southwest for the past 7 years and generally don't have any complaints. When I looked at flight prices it would cost us about $1600 to fly! Out of curiosity I checked other airlines and the cheapest was AirTran at only around $1100 (after they charge us for our luggage).

My DH wants to fly AirTran to save money, but I'm worried we'll "get what we pay for," you know? There are a lot of horrible reviews online for them. I know Southwest is buying them, though, so maybe by the time we fly there will be improvements.

Anyone have anything to say about them?

I've flown Airtran many times, the last time being just last month. The flights were on time, the crew was professional, the plane was clean, and the seat I was assigned stayed mine. (I have had my seat assignment changed by other airlines and it drives me crazy)

It's hit or miss like any other airline. I had no problems last time I flew them on the Milwaukee WI end, but the gate crew on the FL was quite rude. I was asking to rearrange seats because they had put my mom and son (who was 5.5 at the time) together then me 3 rows behind them and then my 3 year old daughter 3 rows behind me. I didn't feel it was acceptable, and they refused to help in anyway.

I had 4 AirTran flights (roundtrip) with my then 4 year old ds on a trip to Atlanta to visit friends. On every. single. flight. we had to sit at the very back of the plane. The poor child couldn't even look out of a window, not that he complained. Their computerized seat assigner (or however they make seating arrangements) kept splitting us up. They wanted the 4 year old away from the other passengers (in the back), but didn't care where his mother sat. :glare:

The flights themselves were fine. I compare it favorably to SouthWest overall. I will personally never fly on them again, but I'm an irritated mama bear :D

We are in Michigan and have flown Airtran numerous times. They are eseentially the same as Delta. If you can stand Delta, you won't have a problem with Airtran. It is Joe-basic service, no frills. But the plane is clean and they tend to run on time. Their crew is actually usually friendlier and more helpful by a noticeable margin than Delta out of the same airport.

Faith

Airtran is hit or miss. Some flights are great and then you have others. AirTran does hold the only flight I have ever taken with a FA I called satan. Nasty, itchy lady who clearly hated her job that day.

If you get split up and no one will switch with you, feel free to use my method. Calmly put your child in the assigned seat. Show your child where the vomit bag is and let the "nice" person who is sitting next to the child know the child has had motion sickness on a plane before. 9 times out of 10 someone will trade with you.

FWIW, the only flight I've ever taken that DD and I were split up was on Delta, and was just last week-and in this case, there wasn't any time to move people around-it was a case where, due to weather delays and other problems, they had to get that plane loaded and out of the gate in 15 minutes or the flight would have had to be canceled. As it turned out, about half the plane was college sorority girls heading to a conference at St. Jude's hospital, and DD got adopted by two of them and talked to them through the entire flight, and had a great time (I did end up right behind her-the gate agent had been able to do that much). Every other time, either they've rearranged at the gate or someone has been willing to switch with us-and that's out of doing probably at least 10 flights a year since DD was a baby (DD has her own frequent flyer cards on Airtran, Delta, and United).

If you get split up and no one will switch with you, feel free to use my method. Calmly put your child in the assigned seat. Show your child where the vomit bag is and let the "nice" person who is sitting next to the child know the child has had motion sickness on a plane before. 9 times out of 10 someone will trade with you.

This is a very effective method.... used it with older ds (it was true, don't encourage your children to lie if it's not).

I always check in online 24 hours before my flight, and choose my seat then. Never had to pay additional money to choose a seat that way, and never had Airtran change it after I did the online check in. I have had other airlines change my seat assignment after I picked it and that was annoying. I picked that seat for a reason, folks!

We are in Michigan and have flown Airtran numerous times. They are eseentially the same as Delta. If you can stand Delta, you won't have a problem with Airtran. It is Joe-basic service, no frills. But the plane is clean and they tend to run on time. Their crew is actually usually friendlier and more helpful by a noticeable margin than Delta out of the same airport.

Faith

Another Michigander here. :iagree: