Menu

mailing packages using media rate

I went to the post office yesterday with a few packages to mail. They were books that I had sold, so I planned to send them by media rate. I realize the post office is very particular about what you send media rate, but the woman said to me, "Do you have a letter or note in these packages that I should be charging you extra postage for?"

So now they are cracking down on a possible letter or note being sent with a media rate package? I know that the postal system is bad off financially, but that's ridiculous.

Has anyone else experienced this?

I used to go regularly to one postal office, and the woman would ALWAYS quiz me about what was in my package. I would have to tell her every time to go ahead and open it becaue her questioning seemed borderline rude - as if I were not telling the truth. But, she NEVER asked me if I had a letter or note in my packages. So, they must just pick and choose what to be particular about. Still, very odd to charge extra for a letter. The package still weighs the same.

Yes, I've been asked that often, especially if I'm not at my normal, very small, everybody knows everybody, post office. I've been told that you are allowed to include an invoice but no other communication.

I don't think it's something new because this has been going on for years and years.

Never been asked that, but I guess when I ship things Media Mail, I generate my postage and address label through PayPal and by the time it gets to the post office, the package is completely sealed and I'm just dropping it off at the counter.

My closest post office is a window in a convenience store, so there's usually a pile of packages stacked up on the counter waiting for the "real" mailman to pick them up. I've never been asked any questions about anything I drop off that already has postage on it.

technically you cannot enclose a note or card with media mail. You are allowed to enclose an invoice, but if you wanted to write a note to the recipient they could technically negate the media mail charge.

:iagree: This has always been the rule for the Media Mail rate AFAIK—it's definitely not a new thing.

As far as I am concerned, the post office wants everyone to hate them. Can't they be polite while enforcing their rules, and deliver things on time and in one piece? Sorry, but my delivery people sit in their truck texting at each stop, and one used to regularly sit on my front steps yakking away loudly for like 10 minutes. As opposed to the UPS guy, who is Mr Speedy.

Aha! That solves a little mystery for me. I received some used books yesterday (media mail) and it said something on it like "includes first class enclosure." I was puzzled. Come to think of it, there WAS a little note in the package ("thanks for your business" type thing). So I guess the lady who sent me my books got busted and had to pay extra. RIDICULOUS.

Every single time. My postmaster does it in a very joking manner now. It is something he is required to do. He thinks it is as ridiculous as I do. The only time I had an issue is when my bound material (3 ring binder) wouldn't fit in the envelope I was going to purchase. It seems that when I take the pages out of the binder they are no longer allowed under media mail restrictions...Totally ridiculous! He let me go ahead with the warning that if it were opened along the line it probably wouldn't pass. (He also told me it wouldn't be done at his post office.) I took the chance. It went through.