Menu

After Harry Potter...

My ds just finished the HP series and he's having serious fantasy-series withdrawal. ;) What is another series he could start reading? He also loves mystery. (He says he's not ready to do LOTR independently, though I think that's because my copy is a small paperback with tiny single-spaced lines.) He has already read/loved the "How to Train Your Dragon" series and the Hardy Boys series.

Thank you!

Lloyd Alexander's Book of Three and the 4, 5? sequels.

Cornelia Funke--maybe not the Inkheart series, they're pretty dark, but she has others...YMMV

Astrid Lindgren's Ronia the Robber's Daughter, The Brothers Lionheart, Mio My Son (not series)

Lynne Reid Banks' The Indian in the Cupboard series

Edward Eager's Half Magic series

E. Nesbit has several great short series

Eva Ibbotson has some really excellent books, though they're not a series

Eoin Colfer's Artemis Fowl series

Edited by Caitilin

Artemis Fowl

I second Artemis Fowl. Artemis is very popular in our house -- everybody in our house reads Artemis. We fight over the books!

Another series my son really liked was the Fablehaven series. I have only read the first book in the series myself, but I thought it was good.

Oh, and the Tintin graphic novels!

He loves those!

Wow, thank you everyone for the awesome suggestions! He hasn't read anything else suggested (although he might have read the "Gregor" series; I'll have to ask him.) I now feel prepared to help him get through his post-HP blues. :D

Edited by Element
typo

This is a list of suggested books to follow up to Harry Potter. I got this from another email list.

Warriors series,

Fablehaven series,

Ranger's Apprentice series,

Artemis Fowl series,

Redwall series,

Percy Jackson series,

and Tamora Pierce’s books.

You say he likes mysteries, Punk fell into Sherlock Holmes following his HP binge. He read everything our library had, then had them bring in more from another library in the system!

He has also read and enjoyed the 39 clues series in addition to the works of several other authors mentioned upthread.

Thanks again to everyone for the awesome suggestions! We read/loved Narnia together this spring and he read the 39 Clues series last year.

Would he be willing to try The Hobbit if LoTR is overwhelming?

We did The Hobbit as a family read-aloud a few months ago. He loved it! It's a great suggestion for anyone else reading this thread looking for books for HP lovers.