Menu

Universal Orlando experts - help!

We've always done Disney and I know the ins and outs of Disney. BUT now we're thinking about Universal. THINKING about it. If I can get it cheap and if I can get it for the week between Christmas and New Year's. DH has to take that week off anyway so going at a different time isn't an option to lessen lines.

There will be 5 of us and oldest will be 18 by the time we go.

Are there websites with info to look at? Are there deep discounts I need to watch for? What about guidebooks on how to do this well?

Thanks!

:bigear:

Exactly the same boat, here, so I'll be watching this thread. We know WDW like the back of our hand, but haven't done Universal/IOA yet. As we are almost finished with the last HP book, my 10 year old is going to be surprised by a trip to Potter World.

We are going earlier, though, possibly next month. So I might be able to compare and contrast a few WDW/US-IOA things for ya, at least.

The cheapest tickets I have found are at Costco. In fact, we are considering doing them AND Disney.

3 day park hoppers (Island of Adventure and whatever else they have) for $144 including tax.

The nice thing about these tickets is that they expire 3 YEARS later. You don't have to use them all in 14 days from activation. You can use one this year, one next year, one the year after.

Not all Costcos have them, but see if yours does. Ours does if you need someone to get you some and mail them (I have done it before for others although I know you don't know me.)

Dawn

My best tip is to stay at one of the hotels...your room ticket becomes a fast pass then. Totally worth it. My second tip, and maybe this should be first, is to get a whiskey sour from Jim, the bartender at Finnegans. His are amazing. I don't know what he does different, but they are amazing. Third, the sangria at Backwater bar is pretty good too. Fourth, there is a "hidden" splash area in the If I Ran the Zoo section of Seuss landing that is perfect for little ones.

Yes, if you are going the week between Christmas and New Year's you will NEED the fast passes! It will be very crowded.

We are going to Orlando Oct 28-Nov 9 and the website for the crowd calendar said to not even bother with fast passes as it won't be too bad.

Dawn

My best tip is to stay at one of the hotels...your room ticket becomes a fast pass then. Totally worth it. My second tip, and maybe this should be first, is to get a whiskey sour from Jim, the bartender at Finnegans. His are amazing. I don't know what he does different, but they are amazing. Third, the sangria at Backwater bar is pretty good too. Fourth, there is a "hidden" splash area in the If I Ran the Zoo section of Seuss landing that is perfect for little ones.

We go about 5 times per year. Do you have a specific question? Check the Universal site. Stay in one of their hotels for the fast pass like the OP suggested. It is a 2 day event only so plan on doing SeaWorld or something else the rest of your trip.

:)

And finally, check on the hotel discount with an annual pass. The discount might just pay for the ticket.

The cheapest tickets I have found are at Costco. In fact, we are considering doing them AND Disney.

3 day park hoppers (Island of Adventure and whatever else they have) for $144 including tax.

The nice thing about these tickets is that they expire 3 YEARS later. You don't have to use them all in 14 days from activation. You can use one this year, one next year, one the year after.

Not all Costcos have them, but see if yours does. Ours does if you need someone to get you some and mail them (I have done it before for others although I know you don't know me.)

Dawn

Are these the ones in the store? Are they a new offer? I looked at them a few months ago and thought they were less - but they expired within days of using the first day. If they changed - I need to go back - We are going for just one day in November, but with family in Florida we could surely use the other days within three years! Good to know they might have options in other Costco's!

We have had them in our Costco for a couple of years. They were about $132 but went up this year to $144. It does include tax though.

Ours don't expire for THREE years and aren't contingent on using within days of first use.

Dawn

Are these the ones in the store? Are they a new offer? I looked at them a few months ago and thought they were less - but they expired within days of using the first day. If they changed - I need to go back - We are going for just one day in November, but with family in Florida we could surely use the other days within three years! Good to know they might have options in other Costco's!
Edited by DawnM

The fast pass is totally worth it. We went to Disney for a few days, then went to Universal and stayed at the Royal Pacific. We did Saturday and Sunday at Universal using our fast pass hotel room key and the hour early admission to HP. Then we went back to Disney.

At the Royal Pacific they have a restaurant in the downstairs. I have spaced the name, but the desk would be able to tell you. Kids eat free with adult meals, and they have a kids dining room. Our kids loved it. There is a buffet with mac and cheese, PB and J sandwiches, raw veggies with dip, fruit, all that kinda kid food. They don't have to wait, they can eat right away and then play. It made for a nice relaxing meal for dh and I after long days in the park.

Oh, more stuff I thought of. Make a reservation (or put your name on the list, I forget how it works) at Mythos. The prices are NOT that much more than anywhere else, but it is indoor, pretty, and the food is really good compared to most places in the park. They have a kids sushi desert that is a giant rice crispy treat wrapped in a fruit roll up....my son went nuts when he saw it. Definitely a good spot to have lunch and chill out for a while.

If you will have a babysitter and have some extra money to blow you can also see if they still do the tasting menu at Emeril's Chop Chop (spelled weird) house. You sit at a special counter looking into the kitchen and a chef prepares your food (something insane like 7 courses) as you watch. I have never ever eaten so well in my entire life, or been more stuffed.

Anyway, have fun! My DH proposed to me in Universal, sitting on the steps/stoop of one of the backlot houses.

The best thing about staying onsite at Universal is that you get the express pass use for the day you check in and the day you check out! We stayed just one night at Royal Pacific last year but enjoyed two days of hopping right on to the rides (there are a few exceptions like the big HP ride, Forbidden Journey)

If you stay onsite, take advantage of the early entry hour! We were at the gate 20ish minutes before it opened for resort guests. Dh and the big kids immediately rode Forbidden Journey while ddThen11 and I got into the line for Olivanders. We just missed the cutoff for the first group---I was bummed because we had to wait longer. When we walked into the wand shop, the team member told Dd to stand in a particular spot and I knew what that meant. She was chosen for the wand ceremony :D What a memory for her!

We have had them in our Costco for a couple of years. They were about $132 but went up this year to $144. It does include tax though.

Ours don't expire for one year and aren't contingent on using within days of first use.

Dawn

Thanks for the info - the ones I saw might be the same - one year wouldn't have been a long enough expiration for us (so, one week - one year, I guess it was the same in my mind! :tongue_smilie:)

If you can swing it, the Universal Royal Pacific Resort is great. Kids will love it ss much as adults. It's in the heart of things, and you can get all the benefits of early entrance, unlimited ride access etc. It's a breeze to get to the parks. Hop on the ferry. It's pricey, but if it's a possibility, my research would stop there. :) Sometimes there are good deals, although I'm not sure if Christmas/New Years would be a Good Deal time. lol It will be packed. But you won't have to wait for transportation, and you will reduce your line time.

You can also check Mousesavers for reduced ticket prices. They are really the only reliable on-line ticket discount site. They offer reduced (not huge) ticket prices to all the major parks, not just WDW.

Edited by LibraryLover

Oh, shoot, I meant to say THREE YEARS! I am going to fix it.

Thanks for the info - the ones I saw might be the same - one year wouldn't have been a long enough expiration for us (so, one week - one year, I guess it was the same in my mind! :tongue_smilie:)

We have teens and like the Portofino Bay Hotel onsite. It's pretend Italy. :D I keep looking until I find a good price. It's funny how they can change from week to week. Ds likes the beach pool. There are families but not as many young children. It's a nice walk but we mostly hop on the boat to City Walk where the parks are.

When pricing the hotel put in APH for Annual Pass Holder and see what the price is. You don't have to have the pass yet to make the reservation. It can be worth buying at least one adult Annual Pass for the discount on the room.

We've eaten dinner in City Walk or at the Italian restaurant at Portofino. In the morning we get a snack and coffee at the coffee shop to go or in City Walk on our way to the park. Last time we brought granola bars. We eat lunch when we are hungry and then have dinner when the park closes. It's fun to eat at The Three Broomsticks. Watch for the shadows on the wall of owls, house elves etc. It's counter service so you can buy what you want. Go between meal times and it's not as crowded.

Hoghead next door is the bar area. They open into each other. You can also get butterbeer and soft drinks there. There is a nice covered patio behind both of there places. For around $10.00 you can get a drink, soda, butterbeer, pumpkin juice in a souvenir mug and have it refilled with soft drinks all day for about a dollar anywhere in the park.

The wand show is cute but I wouldn't stand in a long line for it. If any of you don't want to go on the big HP ride go through for the walk through Hogwarts anyway.

We also brought cheap plastic ponchos for the water rides, they helped with some of them. But they are so fun anyway and you dry off quickly. If anyone gets too wet you can head back to the hotel for a break and change.

We spend most of our time at IOA so I don't know as much about the other park. If you go in crowded times remember that if the park gets too full they won't let you in. So check before you leave one for the other on the same day. You can find out about crowds online.

We love Harry Potter so we have a grand time!