Menu

Audrey ~ how is napkin lady?

No more dinners at our homes, but it is potluck season and I've been to many where she and her family have attended. She is surprisingly not bad in large groups. She is more subdued. I wonder if she isn't actually shy and the over-the-top behavior some kind of weird coping mechanism.

She always brings her wonderful cranberry sauce which is a big hit. She is now known as "Madame Canneberge!" People have warmed to her family well from what I can tell. Nicknames are always a sign of affection here. The husband and kids are really quite nice, down-to-earth folks. When she is surrounded by lots and lots of people to divert her attentions, she is not such a bad gal herself. Crazy as a loon, but then I am hardly one to be talking, now, am I? ;)

Edited by Audrey

That's such a lovely update! I'm glad for her that she's finding a place where she feels more comfortable.

You are such a gracious friend, Audrey.

That's one of those classic WTM stories we'll never forget though . . .

:iagree: Thanks for the update!

I have to be honest and say cranberry sauce is for turkey. Period. And even then I won't touch it w/a 10 ft pole, but it's only meant to be seen when there's a turkey on the table.

so there. :tongue_smilie:

Not so! I love cranberry sauce, and it's so easy to make. I grew up with the canned gelatin. Once I made it from scratch, I was hooked. We have it pretty regularly when it's in season, hot or cold.

Not so! I love cranberry sauce, and it's so easy to make. I grew up with the canned gelatin. Once I made it from scratch, I was hooked. We have it pretty regularly when it's in season, hot or cold.

*shudder*

I made cranberry sauce from scratch. Once. Wolf prefers the jelly carp. *shudder* I can't even hack the slurping sound it makes oozing out of the can.

It says on the end of the table far, far away from me. I dislike cranberries in any form, but wiggling, jiggling, oozing...*gack*

:iagree:I really like cranberry sauce. I love that people will make it so differently, even though the ingredients are mostly the same. I love the ones that are very saucy as much as the molded gelatin ones, and everything in between. Cranberry sauce is great with any poultry, or if you do a molded one, then it can take the place of any jello salad really. It is also really good with thinly sliced roast beef. Our local butcher makes his own deli meats. He does one that is a cranberry roast beef. It is A.Ma.Zing!

And her cranberry sauce is really good. You don't get called Madame Canneberge for nothing, ya know! :001_smile:

:iagree: It's delicious with brie or camembert.:001_wub:

No more dinners at our homes, but it is potluck season and I've been to many where she and her family have attended. She is surprisingly not bad in large groups. She is more subdued. I wonder if she isn't actually shy and the over-the-top behavior some kind of weird coping mechanism.

She always brings her wonderful cranberry sauce which is a big hit. She is now known as "Madame Canneberge!" People have warmed to her family well from what I can tell. Nicknames are always a sign of affection here. The husband and kids are really quite nice, down-to-earth folks. When she is surrounded by lots and lots of people to divert her attentions, she is not such a bad gal herself. Crazy as a loon, but then I am hardly one to be talking, now, am I? ;)

Sounds like it worked out well. Hope potluck season is peaceful! :)

:iagree:I really like cranberry sauce. I love that people will make it so differently, even though the ingredients are mostly the same. I love the ones that are very saucy as much as the molded gelatin ones, and everything in between. Cranberry sauce is great with any poultry, or if you do a molded one, then it can take the place of any jello salad really. It is also really good with thinly sliced roast beef. Our local butcher makes his own deli meats. He does one that is a cranberry roast beef. It is A.Ma.Zing!

And her cranberry sauce is really good. You don't get called Madame Canneberge for nothing, ya know! :001_smile:

I love the taste of cranberries ANY time . . . Especially when it's molded and contains black walnuts. I think it's MUCH better than jello salad.

I'm glad napkin lady is finding her place. Life should be all Lilo and Stitch like that. :)

I love the taste of cranberries ANY time . . . Especially when it's molded and contains black walnuts. I think it's MUCH better than jello salad.

I have a bag of cranberries saved in my freezer. I make a supposed "Christmas" dessert in the summer that is chopped cranberries, sugar, pineapple, cream cheese, whipped cream, and walnuts frozen in a bundt pan or cupcake pan. You've inspired me to make it tonight! I just have to look up how much sugar.

I have a bag of cranberries saved in my freezer. I make a supposed "Christmas" dessert in the summer that is chopped cranberries, sugar, pineapple, cream cheese, whipped cream, and walnuts frozen in a bundt pan or cupcake pan. You've inspired me to make it tonight! I just have to look up how much sugar.

Could you post the recipe with measurements? That sounds wonderful! :w00t:

Could you post the recipe with measurements? That sounds wonderful! :w00t:

I found it!

Cranberry Freeze

3 cups cranberries, finely chopped (I just use one bag and it comes out close enough)

1 1/2 cups sugar (I cut this to 1 cup)

1 can crushed pineapple, undrained

1/2 cup chopped walnuts (I use more than this)

1 8-oz package cream cheese, softened

2 cups thawed Cool Whip (I think I just use one of the reguar 8 oz. tubs--I haven't tried real whipped cream yet, but I'm sure it's better)

Mix together cranberries, sugar, pineapple, and walnuts. Gradually add to cream cheese, mixing until well blended. Fold in whipped topping. Pour into lightly oiled ring mold or bundt pan and freeze until firm. Slice and serve.

This has been a big hit at summer potlucks. When strawberries are cheap I use them instead and cut the sugar to 1/2 cup. Sometimes I add mandarin oranges and some coconut to the cranberries or strawberries.

When I'm making it for myself, I freeze in a lightly oiled muffin tin, then transfer to a gallon zipper bag so I have individual portions ready to go! I think it makes 18 portions this way. I'm going to make some tomorrow!

Edited by AndyJoy

I found it!

Cranberry Freeze

3 cups cranberries, finely chopped (I just use one bag and it comes out close enough)

1 1/2 cups sugar (I cut this to 1 cup)

1 can crushed pineapple, undrained

1/2 cup chopped walnuts (I use more than this)

1 8-oz package cream cheese, softened

2 cups thawed Cool Whip (I think I just use one of the reguar 8 oz. tubs--I haven't tried real whipped cream yet, but I'm sure it's better)

Mix together cranberries, sugar, pineapple, and walnuts. Gradually add to cream cheese, mixing until well blended. Fold in whipped topping. Pour into lightly oiled ring mold or bundt pan and freeze until firm. Slice and serve.

This has been a big hit at summer potlucks. When strawberries are cheap I use them instead and cut the sugar to 1/2 cup. Sometimes I add mandarin oranges and some coconut to the cranberries or strawberries.

When I'm making it for myself, I freeze in a lightly oiled muffin tin, then transfer to a gallon zipper bag so I have individual portions ready to go! I think it makes 18 portions this way. I'm going to make some tomorrow!

Thank you! :thumbup: