Menu

Read Alouds in Logic Stage??

I'm wondering how many of you have family read alouds even in the logic stage for history. If you do, I'd love to see what your book list is if your doing Ancients.

I have 7th graders, a 6th grader, and a 1st grader next year all doing Ancients.

I'm putting together my own history plan w/SOTW (mostly for the 1st grader), MOH, Human Odyssey Vol. 1, Oxford World in Ancient Times, and various books. Trying to decide which books of the ones I'm selecting would be the best for read-alouds and if I have time to do read-alouds with all 4 of the kids.

Thanks!

My daughter turns 11 this fall and we're still doing read-alouds. In fact, if I skip our book she'll grab it and hound me until I sit down to read with her. :001_unsure: It's not that she can't read the book on her own...I think read-alouds are more interesting for her, because we can stop and discuss the book.

For example, we're reading Archimedes and the Door of Science together. Yesterday, we're reading a chapter that talks about his machines and how they could be used to help the farmers on the Nile. We put the book down for several minutes and discussed how his machines worked and I even drew some pics on the dry erase board.

More interactive, maybe? *shrug* I really don't see my daughter wanting to ditch the read-alouds anytime soon.

I actually thought most people still did read-alouds through middle school. Maybe not?

We do read alouds, but not really for history, just in general. I don't really have a list, either, because it's not really part of the curriculum, but just something we do as books catch our fancy. And of course at this hour I can't actually think very well :-) But currently we're doing Einstein Adds a New Dimension because the ideas were a little abstract and she understands them better if we read it out loud. Recently we read Miss Bianca and the Salt Mines because it was a childhood favorite of mine that she didn't really want to read, so I read it to make sure it got the proper dramatic treatment and win her over :-) No idea what will be next, but it still tends to be a children's book because I need to pick things that my 6YO can listen to. Fortunately he is a terrific listener and loves stories!

My guys are 11 and are very disappointed if we don't get to our read aloud for some reason. We usually read at night before bed and this year I'm also scheduling an audio book. One will be history related and the other will be a classic. They love it and look forward to it.

We do and we're doing Ancients - Reformation this year. All of our read-aloud selections won't be related to history but many of them will. I have a list of supplementary lit. for the year but some will end up being independent reading, some read-alouds and some ditched altogether.

Adam and His Kin

Gilgamesh

Cat of Bubastes

Riddle of the Rosetta Stone

Pyramid

Mara, Daughter of the Nile

Tales of ANcient Egypt

D'Aulaire's Greek Myths

Mythology by Hamilton

The Story of the Greeks

Aesop's Fables

Black Ships Before Troy

The Iliad

Wanderings of Odysseus

The Odyssey

Archimedes and the Door of Science

Oedipus Rex

Augustus Caesar's World

Story of the ROmans

Young Carthaginian

Bronze Bow

D'Aulaire's Norse Myths

Famous Men of the Middle Ages

Story of the Middle Ages

King Arthur and His Knights

King Arthur and His Knights of the Round Table

Sir Gawain and the Green Knight

Beowulf

The Apple and the Arrow

Castle

Adam of the Road

Robin Hood

Canterbury Tales

Joan of Arc

Trumpeter of Krakow

Tales from the Thousand and One Nights

Bard of Avon

I, Juan de Pereja

Cathedral

Leonardo da Vinci

Kidnapped

Three Musketeers

Story of the Renaissance and Reformation

Whipping Boy

Romeo and Juliet

By Pike and Dyke

Don Quixote

Morning Star of the Reformation

Hawk That Dare Not Hunt by Day

Prince and the Pauper

We are just starting, but I will be doing mostly all read-alouds with my 7th grader, since reading is more of a problem area for her. I am using K12 Human Odyssey myself, but I have a book list posted on my blog (link in signature) for it if you are interested.

I have a beginning logic stage student: 5th grade. I don't plan to stop reading aloud anytime soon. It works for me to read ours over lunch as I eat more quickly than they. If I wait until bed time, we are often too busy, or my voice is just plain tired from reading from history, science, english, math, and from the Dr.Seuss that I read to my niece all day :) It is just a nice quiet time with no expectations for output. We all enjoy it.

Currently, we are in a book club that is picking from Newberry winners, so I often read those aloud. We also have been going slowly through the Little House books, and I read one or two of those a year aloud (even though my logic student has already read them, my ydd hasn't, and we all enjoy them.)

Then I plan to pick in our "spare reading" time many of the titles from the above list. My dd is doing CHOLL this year, so she has a reading list of her own. I want to pick some of those that are good, but that aren't on her list that she might not have time to get to on her own.

We have done read-alouds for history as they were usually scheduled with Biblioplan and when we did Winterpromise American History. Read-aloud time is my kids favorite subject ;). I do like the discussions that we have. I'll continue to do them. Since I don't have a open and go plan, I'm having to decide which ones to assign to them and which ones we should read together. I guess I'll let the ones that will interest the 1st grader help me decide.

Thanks!

We still do read-alouds. My ds 11, who will be starting 7th grade next week, loves for me to read to him, for school and for fun. I do not see this ending any time soon. He reads very well, but enjoys me reading to him or listening to audio books while he builds Legos or colors.

Kim

Still do them here (DS12/6th, DS9/4th). This past year, for example, we read aloud Gilgamesh the Hero (Sumer), Golden Bull (Mesopotamia), Casting the Gods Adrift (Egypt), Black Ships Before Troy/Wanderings of Odysseus (early Greece), Twenty Jataka Tales (India), Archimedes and the Door into Science (Greece), And Galen and the Gateway to Medicine (Rome).

Both DS could have read these independently but it was more fun to do them together, and it gave me a launching point to discuss some key historical points with them. There were plenty of other books for independent reading.

I have the following books scheduled at a chapter a day for read alouds for fifth grade.

Gilgamesh the Hero

The Golden Goblet

Black Ships before Troy

The Wanderings of Odysseus

Adara

God King

In Search of a Homeland

Bronze Bow

The Eagle of the Ninth

I had a huge list, but then I cut it down to what was reasonable which for me was a chapter a day.

With that said, I plan to fit in Tales of Ancient Egypt and D'aulaires book of Greek Myths as well. I also have the other two from the Eagle of the Ninth Trilogy that Are a possibility.

Paula

We just started doing read-alouds again this summer. I'm letting my odd pick what she wants for many reasons ... the two biggest are because of her learning disability (it's hard for her to read for long periods of time and she needs to hear as much written language as possible) and she really enjoys it! We don't stick to any list/curriculum/plan, but I do try to guide her to classic stories. I'm currently reading Journey to the Centre of the Earth. There's no way she could do it on her own, but she's really getting into it b/c I'm reading to her kwim.

ETA: D'Aulaire's is one of my odd's all time favorite books!!!

Edited by crazyfordlr

I keep asking my kids if they still want read-aloud time and they keep saying yes. This is my last year with one in the logic stage. I don't think I'm going to get to quit reading aloud as long as my kids live with me.

I do love the family time. Our read-alouds sometimes tie to history, other times they are just really good books we want to share together.

We do and we're doing Ancients - Reformation this year. All of our read-aloud selections won't be related to history but many of them will. I have a list of supplementary lit. for the year but some will end up being independent reading, some read-alouds and some ditched altogether.

Adam and His Kin

Gilgamesh

Cat of Bubastes

Riddle of the Rosetta Stone

Pyramid

Mara, Daughter of the Nile

Tales of ANcient Egypt

D'Aulaire's Greek Myths

Mythology by Hamilton

The Story of the Greeks

Aesop's Fables

Black Ships Before Troy

The Iliad

Wanderings of Odysseus

The Odyssey

Archimedes and the Door of Science

Oedipus Rex

Augustus Caesar's World

Story of the ROmans

Young Carthaginian

Bronze Bow

D'Aulaire's Norse Myths

Famous Men of the Middle Ages

Story of the Middle Ages

King Arthur and His Knights

King Arthur and His Knights of the Round Table

Sir Gawain and the Green Knight

Beowulf

The Apple and the Arrow

Castle

Adam of the Road

Robin Hood

Canterbury Tales

Joan of Arc

Trumpeter of Krakow

Tales from the Thousand and One Nights

Bard of Avon

I, Juan de Pereja

Cathedral

Leonardo da Vinci

Kidnapped

Three Musketeers

Story of the Renaissance and Reformation

Whipping Boy

Romeo and Juliet

By Pike and Dyke

Don Quixote

Morning Star of the Reformation

Hawk That Dare Not Hunt by Day

Prince and the Pauper

Great list! Thanks for taking the time to get that together!:lol:

I have the following books scheduled at a chapter a day for read alouds for fifth grade.

Gilgamesh the Hero

The Golden Goblet

Black Ships before Troy

The Wanderings of Odysseus

Adara

God King

In Search of a Homeland

Bronze Bow

The Eagle of the Ninth

I had a huge list, but then I cut it down to what was reasonable which for me was a chapter a day.

With that said, I plan to fit in Tales of Ancient Egypt and D'aulaires book of Greek Myths as well. I also have the other two from the Eagle of the Ninth Trilogy that Are a possibility.

Paula

:hurray: Thank you! We are a "chapter-a-day" family as well, so I've been wondering about a condensed ancients list. Anything aside from that chapter for history is read independently by the kids (which isn't all that much) or listened to on CD. Our bedtime read aloud has always been just for fun.