Menu

I know this is weird, but is it illegal?

Can you legally give away a box of insulin syringes that were obtained using a prescription? I'm thinking no.

I have an extended family member who got the prescription filled, but didn't realize the dr. had written it for the wrong capacity syringes until after he got home. The pharmacy won't let him return the box (understandably), so now he'd like to give them away.

Legally, if the insurance company paid for it for 'Bob' then only Bob can use them.

ETHICALLY: I have zero problem with Bob giving them away since they are an over the counter item and anyone could walk up and buy them. It would be silly to throw them away IMHO.

They likely came in a box that has a prescription label on it, but has bags inside grouping them into 10 packs. I would get rid of the box/label and just pass on the bags.

P.S. I work in pharmacy.

I have taken unopened, unneeded prescriptions and supplies (this was for fertility treatment) back to the dr. who prescribed them. He gave them to patients who needed them. That's a fairly common practice in fertility treatment; I don't know if it's legal, though.

I have taken unopened, unneeded prescriptions and supplies (this was for fertility treatment) back to the dr. who prescribed them. He gave them to patients who needed them. That's a fairly common practice in fertility treatment; I don't know if it's legal, though.

Not legal in the USA, but I know it happens.

Probably illegal to just give to anyone, but perhaps you may give it to some type of charity?

What a bummer though.

Try a local free clinic.

Call the county health department, mine has a benevolence collection for exactly these kids of things. They pass them along to people who need it and can't afford it.

Legally, if the insurance company paid for it for 'Bob' then only Bob can use them.

ETHICALLY: I have zero problem with Bob giving them away since they are an over the counter item and anyone could walk up and buy them. It would be silly to throw them away IMHO.

They likely came in a box that has a prescription label on it, but has bags inside grouping them into 10 packs. I would get rid of the box/label and just pass on the bags.

P.S. I work in pharmacy.

Thanks for all the ideas--they're great! I'll look into them.

Tap, how'd you know his name is Bob? ;)

Thanks, Hana. That might work.

I don't know why you couldn't give them to another diabetic? The prescription isn't the same as one for the insulin itself. DH forgot to pack his needles one trip, and just went to a local pharmacy and bought some.

Then when his dad died, his mom (who worked for the state department of health at the time) gave him all the still sealed needles his dad had left over.

I *think* the prescription on the needles just lets you run them against your insurance, where you'd have to pay full price otherwise. It wouldn't hurt to check.

P.S. I work in pharmacy.

This makes me laugh. I had the biggest argument with my pharmacy the other day because I picked up my insulin but did not have a prescription for syringes. I did not know it had expired since I only filled it once. I am self pay but they refused to give me the syringes. My Drs. office was closed and I finally talked them into giving me a couple for the next two days.They said that my insurance would not pay for them if I did not have a prescription. I yelled at one point, "Dude, (and I never say dude!) I don't have insurance. There is no one to pay it, but me."

This makes me laugh. I had the biggest argument with my pharmacy the other day because I picked up my insulin but did not have a prescription for syringes. I did not know it had expired since I only filled it once. I am self pay but they refused to give me the syringes. My Drs. office was closed and I finally talked them into giving me a couple for the next two days.They said that my insurance would not pay for them if I did not have a prescription. I yelled at one point, "Dude, (and I never say dude!) I don't have insurance. There is no one to pay it, but me."

Same here in Washington. If you want them to run as a prescription, we have to have a current rx. If you want to pay full price cash, anyone can walk up and buy them. We have discount programs that do reduce the price for pts who have them filled as a prescription and they do not pay tax on them if they are a prescription, so this is one of the few times that a prescription item may be cheaper.

LOL Pharmacy can be quite confusing. :lol:

She didn't say an insurance co paid, though.

True, I made an assumption. Usually, if someone goes through the trouble to get a prescription then there is insurance involed. To your point, it is possible, but unlikely, that there was no insurance co involved.