Menu

s/o of If your kids have had pertussis (poll)

If your kids have had pertussis, were they vaccinated?  

1. 1. If your kids have had pertussis, were they vaccinated?

• Yes, they were vaccinated.
    • No, they were not vaccinated.
    • Other/Extenuating circumstances.

I'm just curious about this, as dd is still really struggling with the vaccine issue, mainly the DTaP.

IF your kids have had pertussis, were they vaccinated? Poll on that to follow.

If you could embellish in the thread, were they vaccinated on schedule or delayed, and how hold were they when they contracted the pertussis?

I can't really answer the poll as none of my kids have had it, and they haven't been immunized for it either, but, I came from a family of 7 kids and 5 of us as well as my mom had pertussis and we had all been vaccinated and were up to date with our immunizations.

My oldest ds has it when he was 6yo. Our doc told us that the current belief in the medical community is that vaccinations work for 70%ish of the population. By vaccinating most of the population, they hope that the 30% who are succeptible either don't catch it or catch a milder version. He also told me that now my ds has had whooping cough, he should be immune for 5+ years.

I am continuing to vaccinate all my kids against whooping cough. It's a nasty disease, and I am very glad my ds had a mild version.

My ds had it 2 summers ago. He was fully vaccinated, with the last vac occuring 2 years prior to the onset (so it wasn't like a reaction or anything.) However, once the dr. confirmed that it was pertussis, he was given proper meds and recovered easily. Dd never caught it from him and she was also vac'd on schedule.

I've been exposed to it several times in my profession and have never contracted it. I've been vaccinated multiple times for it. When I need an update on my tetanus...I get the DTP instead of just the Td. Because whooping cough is NOT something you want to get. They don't call it the 100 day cough for nothing.

Some were, some we not. My oldest dd (6 at the time) was vaxed and brought it home from school. My partially vaxed 2 yo had the lightest and easiest case of all. She was breast feeding, though. My fully vaxed to the teeth dh got it the worst, but still nothing I cared to vax my subsequent children for. I think people overreact about it.

My youngest, unvaccinated, got it first. My two vaccinated but no booster shot kids got it next. We stayed home for about a month (during Christmas break). Everyone felt fine except for the cough which would come and go. ETA my kids were 9, 12 and 14 at the time.

Edited by jelbe5

Half of my children are vac'd, half not.

The one who brought pertussis into the family a couple of months ago is fully vac'd. Asthma did complicate it for my children who have asthma, but other than that, there was no difference in severity or duration between my vac'd and non-vac'd dc.

My kids have not had it (and they are vaccinated) but a close friend of mine had it last summer. She was not vaccinated. Her husband and DS were vaccinated and did not get it.

Same with us. Many people we know are anti-vaccination. Pertussis has been going around here, but my vaccinated kids didn't get it at all, and they usually pick up every. single. thing. that's around.

Not sure what you're hoping to achieve by a poll though.

What is your dd's issue/query around vaccination?

We have had whooping cough in our family twice. The first time my kids were 4, 2, and 6 months. Only my 4yo got it. None of them were vaccinated. We put the 6 month old on antibiotics as a precaution. She was also breastfeeding.

The second time around the one who was 6 months old the first time around was 11. She got it but it was just a dry hacking cough that would not go away. I didn't know it was whooping cough until the younger kids got it and had the "whoop". My other kids who got it were 9, 7, 6, 4, and 18 months. None of them were vaccinated. The 4 year old and 18 month old had it the worst. My oldest, who was then 15 got it again. My 13yo (who was 2 when we got it the first time didn't get it. I think she has a natural immunity.)

Both times we had it was in the summer. And we know where we got it. Both times it was caught from other unvaccinated homeschoolers.

Susan in TX

Edited by Susan in TX