Menu

Bucky Balls (rare earth magnets) banned by retailers

The Consumer Product Safety Commission is trying to put Bucky Balls off the market due to swallowing hazard. I see the safety side of things but they have good points that the product isn't marketed for children and items such as balloons are sold with an adult supervision warning.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/retail/story/2012-07-25/buckyballs-ban/56481316/1

http://www.getbuckyballs.com/buckyballs-only-marketed-to-adults-cpsc-press-release/

Thought I'd post this since it's a popular item with families here.

The Consumer Product Safety Commission is trying to put Bucky Balls off the market due to swallowing hazard. I see the safety side of things but they have good points that the product isn't marketed for children and items such as balloons are sold with an adult supervision warning.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/retail/story/2012-07-25/buckyballs-ban/56481316/1

http://www.getbuckyballs.com/buckyballs-only-marketed-to-adults-cpsc-press-release/

Thought I'd post this since it's a popular item with families here.

:iagree: We are huge magnetix fans here. They were pulled from the market because of swallowing risk. I can still get them sometimes on Amazon or ebay. If stores could only sell what is safe for kids 3 and under, well, that would be very boring! No legos, no beyblades (tops), no k'nex, no crayons (except the fat ones), no playdough or games. Ugh.

Warnings can not take the place of parental supervision. And I get that lesson. My little man choked on a marble he found at 18 months. I shook for days. But I never once asked for all marbles to be banned.

:iagree: We are huge magnetix fans here. They were pulled from the market because of swallowing risk. I can still get them sometimes on Amazon or ebay. If stores could only sell what is safe for kids 3 and under, well, that would be very boring! No legos, no beyblades (tops), no k'nex, no crayons (except the fat ones), no playdough or games. Ugh.

Warnings can not take the place of parental supervision. And I get that lesson. My little man choked on a marble he found at 18 months. I shook for days. But I never once asked for all marbles to be banned.

Many of the injuries from Bucky balls were to teens or even adults, not just kids under 3.

I do know a mom whose daughter swallowed a couple of small magnets while traveling and almost died. The magnets do severe damage to the innards if swallowed. Mom has no idea where child even got those magnets. So if you do keep small magnets around, please be sure they are never within the reach of a youngster who might pop them into her mouth. (The child in question was a five-year-old with Down syndrome, but I understand this is not a very uncommon accident.)

ETA: a marble is a whole different story since it isn't charged.

Just wondering what they taste like? :confused:

It can be surprising how many people like to swallow non-food items.

When I was a kid I used to touch 9-volt batteries with my tongue. Ever tried it? Maybe there is something freaky that happens when you put a couple of bucky balls in your mouth? I don't know.

I would steer clear unless I had a permanent tot-free zone to keep them in.

I do know a mom whose daughter swallowed a couple of small magnets while traveling and almost died. The magnets do severe damage to the innards if swallowed. Mom has no idea where child even got those magnets. So if you do keep small magnets around, please be sure they are never within the reach of a youngster who might pop them into her mouth. (The child in question was a five-year-old with Down syndrome, but I understand this is not a very uncommon accident.)

ETA: a marble is a whole different story since it isn't charged.

While I agree that the magnets can be dangerous to the very young the article says a 12yo swallowed them. I am sorry but a 12yo knows better. A 5yo down syndrome child does not. However is it the manufacturers fault that the child swallowed the magnets? Should they be shut down? I don't think so. It was just a plain accident.

I think the mom in this case is a litigious money hog and just looking far a fat paycheck. That doesn't sound very nice, and it isn't, but that is what I feel.

While I agree that the magnets can be dangerous to the very young the article says a 12yo swallowed them. I am sorry but a 12yo knows better. A 5yo down syndrome child does not. However is it the manufacturers fault that the child swallowed the magnets? Should they be shut down? I don't think so. It was just a plain accident.

I think the mom in this case is a litigious money hog and just looking far a fat paycheck. That doesn't sound very nice, and it isn't, but that is what I feel.

The 12-year-old didn't intentionally swallow them. She was using them as a magnetic tongue ring and accidentally swallowed them. Still a dumb idea...yes, but not outside the realm of normal 12-year-old stupidity.

I agree the mom shouldn't be suing since there were numerous prominent warnings on the packaging.

I think it is ridiculous. I also thought the magnetix recall was ridiculous. Slap a "do not swallow" warning on them and move on.

They already had numerous warning to keep away from children and not ingest.

Many of the injuries from Bucky balls were to teens or even adults, not just kids under 3.

I don't see how that is the companies fault though.

The one girl, 12, was putting them in her mouth! Common sense????

She swallowed 4. Not one. I am assuming not all 4 at once.

I agree it is not the company's fault, and I think the warnings already on the packaging are probably enough and there is no need for a recall. If people aren't reading/following the existing warnings, they probably aren't going to read any others either.

But...I don't agree with people who are saying that whoever swallowed them must be an idiot or have idiot parents. Sometimes people make dumb mistakes (like thinking it would be a good idea to use these super-strong magnets to pretend you have a tongue ring), and with this toy, a dumb mistake can cost you your life. Unlikely, but possible. So I think it is reasonable to publicize these cases and make sure people are aware of the risks. I don't think it is reasonable to ban the product.

I agree it is not the company's fault, and I think the warnings already on the packaging are probably enough and there is no need for a recall. If people aren't reading/following the existing warnings, they probably aren't going to read any others either.

But...I don't agree with people who are saying that whoever swallowed them must be an idiot or have idiot parents. Sometimes people make dumb mistakes (like thinking it would be a good idea to use these super-strong magnets to pretend you have a tongue ring), and with this toy, a dumb mistake can cost you your life. Unlikely, but possible. So I think it is reasonable to publicize these cases and make sure people are aware of the risks. I don't think it is reasonable to ban the product.

Makes sense. :)

And I agree.

I think the company shouldn't be sued. Sad they loose their lively hood due to user error.

I agree. I admit I have a long historybofnputting stupid stuff in my mouth. I accidentally swallowed a calculator button in 5th grade. Don't ask. I'm not proud. That said, what happened to personal responsibility? I just don't see how the company is at fault.

These are actually REALLY dangerous if swallowed, much more than a balloon or what not. They actually can rip through flesh, so if two are swallowed and end up in different areas of the intestine they will find each other, and rip holes in the intestines. They have also ripped holes in people's ears when they were fooling around pretending they were earrings. They really shouldn't be in a house with young kids at all.

I have no opinion on banning them, but did want to mention that this is NOT the normal swallowing hazard.