Menu

Could you please share what

kidsnbooks8

We did 5th grade last year with Classical Writing Aesop B, Spelling Workout E (we started a bit late on spelling to get other basics in place) and Abeka's God's Gift of Language B.

I loved Classical Writing and we'll continue with Homer in the Fall.

I don't totally love Spelling Workout, but we've finally found a groove that works for us. I like having a workbook that he can take in the car or to siblings' doctor's appointments and I like that it teaches editing skills. DS scores well in spelling on standardized tests, it's inexpensive and easy to use. Why fix what isn't broken.

We began using Abeka for grammar in third grade as recommended in the first edition of TWTM. It's our only other workbook (see above) and it has way more exercises than any child needs to complete in a single year. But every 6-8 weeks I look ahead and circle the exercises for DS to do then assign 3-5 pages at a time (usually 3 or 4 exercises). If he does well on those we move on, if he needs more work we do another exercise. We skip the writing since we use CW but do the diagramming. We also copy all of the charts and definitions for the grammar notebook.

growing with grammar 5

megawords (plan is to do first 3 books)

4 novel studies with Progeny Press Guides

Outlining --Remedia Publications

IEW

We decided to drop vocab this year and return to spelling. DD is studying French and Latin. I think the Latin will help with whatever formal vocabulary study we pursue later.

We are changing to the Latin Road to English Grammar. It is intensive grammar and latin instruction at the same time. I am hoping this approach is successful for us.

TOG for literature studies, spelling, vocab, accompanied by Writing Aids for writing and literary evaluation.

In the past, I have used R&S for grammar (and it is amazing, not exciting, but works well).

Last year we used Growing with Grammar, Wordly Wise, and Classical Writing Aesop.

This with with DS I will use Growing with Grammar, Spelling WorkOut, and I still have not decided on a writing program for him.

I assign books throughout the year for them to read, and we discuss and they write up a brief report on it.

you are using for Language Arts for your 5th graders?:confused:

Thanks for your help,

Debbie

Rod and Staff. I love that it can be opened and used with no planning, has review built in, includes writing instruction, and can be handed down from child to child. Wouldn't even consider anything else.

I just updated it this afternoon!

My 10-year-old son will be doing:

Galore Park English Prep 2 (skipping the writing assignments)

Classical Writing: Aesop (with models coordinated with history/literature)

Critical Thinking's Word Roots software (level B1)

Lots of reading coordinated with his ancient history studies

Wow! Quite the variety:D. My 10yo has not had much in the way of grammar or writing would R&S 5th grade be too hard? I am looking for simple straight forward, due to family size. And it sounds good that it can be used with upcoming children.;) Also is it enough for writing? I will also have her do copywork and some dictation from the Bible.

For spelling I have Phonetic Zoo level B has anyone used this? Would this be close to a 10yo level?

Is this enough for Language Arts?

Thanks so much for your reply's, this is helping!!

for Language Arts:

Lively Latin 1 (Latin, vocabulary, grammar, etc.)

FLL 3 (finish last 10 lessons), FLL 4 (grammar, dictation, etc.)

IEW- Fables, Myths, & Fairy Tales (writing)

Schonell's The Essential Spelling List (spelling & dictation)

Crawly Critters Cursive (penmanship)

+ assigned reading from history lists

+ read-aloud literature from CM & WTM lists

Blessings,

Here is what we are using for 5th Grade:

Grammar/writing- R&S 4 along with A Journey Through Grammar Land (minus the scrolls/workshee) I'm just adding it in to spice things up now and then. I really think R&S will be plenty.

Math-R&S 4 & Math-it

Spelling- A Reason for Spelling Level C (he is not a great speller)

Reading- Drawn into the Heart of Reading by Heart of Dakota

Read Alouds/History/Bible/Art/Science/Greek Roots- MFW CtG

It looks like you have a handful of children coming up. We have 7 and what I use in 5th are Shurley Grammar 6, just the grammar and just the first 75% of the book. We also use IEW writing intensive workshops on DVD. It is a big expense, but will save your hours and $$ down the road. If you started Shurley now, come September you will have developed a system of giving instructions for the lesson one day and letting her then work through the chapter on her own. IEW workshops are very independent.

What really is important isn't what everyone else has used or what we think will work, but what has worked for you and your dd in the past. Does she like workbooks? Does she need a lot of your input?

We are LCC in philosophy so we cover grammar, spelling and vocab pretty heavily during Latin with Henle. I also use IEW Ancients theme-based for writing. We have a schedule of books to read, fiction and non, that correlate to our history and science studies. We do Reading Detective, Word Roots and Editor in Chief on the computer for fun.

Last year, my fifth grader used:

composition -- Igniting Your Writing

grammar -- The Language Mechanic

literature -- reading and discussing the following books:

Tales from the Mabinogion by Kevin Crossley-Holland

The Children of Odin by Padraic Colum

Black Ships Before Troy by Rosemary Sutcliff

The Wanderings of Odysseus by R Sutcliff

Beowulf by R Sutcliff

King Arthur by Gustaf Tenggren

Arabian Nights by Andrew Lang

Shakespeare Stories by Leon Garfield

Shakespeare Stories II by L Garfield

The Five Sons of King Pandu by Elizabeth Seeger

The Magical Monkey King by Ji-Li Liang

For my upcoming 5th grader:

Spelling Power - 4 days per week

Growing with Grammar 5 - 3 days per week

Writing With Ease Level 4 - 4 days per week 1st half of 5th grade

Writing Tales 2 or CW Aesop B - 2 days per week 2nd half of 5th grade

Outlining Kingfisher Illustrated History of the World - 2 days per week (we'll start doing this orally in 1st half of 5th, then move to written outlining in the 2nd half)

Summaries from KIHW 2 days per week in 2nd half

Reading both history-related and free choice literature daily

Edited to add: Latina Christiana II

Hope this helps!

This last year, my 5th grader used SL LA along with a slowed down version of R&S (she'd done a lot in years previous). She also does SWO. She also did a bit of Classical Writing Aesop this year and we started IEW a couple months ago.

If I had it to do over again, I'd use IEW along with R&S and drop the SL LA. Continuing SWO.

For 6th grade, she'll do IEW writing, R&S English for grammar and SWO to continue spelling. That's what'd I'd have done for 5th grade if I had it to do over again.