Menu

I need reassurance re: holding my ds9 back for math

He'll be doing CLE this year for math. I'm thinking of doing a mix of 3rd and 4th grade. 3rd as a little review and introducing new topics. 4th (slowly) so that he can be introduced to harder concepts, but not expected to get all out with it.

I'm just feeling crumy about it. I've never held the boys back for anything before. Ugg...it'll be ok, right? I really need reassurance here.

I don't consider it holding back. I consider it front loading. The time spent here, getting things learned well, is time saved later. At lot of children (mine included) spend 7th grade re-enforcing math concepts. You are just doing it now. If it really worries you, spend some summer time next year front loading for the next grade (or you could call it catching up if you want LOL).

Lara

I'm doing the same thing. Really. Either with Math Mammoth or Saxon though. My dd9 just is not ready for straight 4th grade math, so we'll start with mid-level third, where she IS comfortable, and move forward from there.

And if it helps, I'm doing the same for ds11. Mid-level fifth grade math transitioning into 6th. He's using Teaching Textbooks, so I am just letting him take the quizzes until he scores under 90% and we'll start there.

I honestly felt bad about it for about 2 seconds, then realized this is best for both of them. I want them to have a solid foundation in math, and there is no point in moving ahead until they master the basics.

As someone who is generally very vocally against holding back, I don't see any reason why you should feel bad about this. You're reviewing in a manner appropriate to his needs, not charging straight ahead where he's not ready or going back to an arbitrary point in the past and doing the whole thing over.

I'm doing something similar with my DS9. I feel like, while he's roughly at grade level, our approach up until now has been a little too haphazard and he could use some solidifying of the basics before moving on.

I am doing the same thing this year! My daughter will be in 3rd grade and my son will be in 2nd grade. My son is very advanced in math and my daughter is a little bit slow at mastering her math facts. I decided to put both my kids in CLE math 2nd grade and do the review with her and then go on to 3rd grade with them. This is the first year that we are doing CLE and I was so impressed with it that I ordered the Language Arts and Reading programs as well.

Good luck to you. I have been feeling a little bad about feeling like I was holding my daughter back as well, but I know we will catch up since it is only 1 subject and I feel like it will be better for her in the long run. I agree with the other poster that as a homeschooling mom, we have the one-on-one with our children and know what is best for them.

If it makes you feel better, I'm doing the same thing with my son. We switched to TT and I'm having him repeat 3rd grade math with this program. Now that we've started it, I'm sure it was the right decision. He needs the review and the confidence.

I promise you, If he is not ready to move forward YOU WILL REGRET IT!!! (ask me how I know this....:glare:) If you push him forward now, hoping it will be okay, it is quite likely that you will have to do this in later years anyway. And you will deal with math hatred for all those days in the meantime.

My soon to be 9 yr old finished abeka 3 in May. He came to dread math, taking forever to do his work. He would often get simple things wrong. I originally wanted to switch to Saxon math and may still do so in the future, but I decided to give TT a try. Ive heard the good and the bad about TT, the bad being behind a level or so. I'm switching in hopes of encouraging him and giving him confidence in math again. Even if it turns out TT is a repeat I rather do it at this age then later on!

May everything work out for you guys and your decision! :)

I am doing the same thing with 2 of my daughters. We are switching from TT to CLE. My older dd finished TT5 and will be starting CLE 4 and my other one switched from TT3 and is backtracking to CLE 2. They didn't retain TT and CLE seems significantly more advanced, so back we go.

You're not holding him back. Maybe he's not ready to move forward!

Remember that the goal is mastering the subject matter, not to attain a grade level! ;)

it is pointless to "advance" if the concepts aren't down. I was hamstrung by math for years because of this wretched policy.

My 9yog and 11yog (4th and 6th grade) are working a grade level lower in CLE math. I'm not at all worried about it. I think CLE is advanced and very thorough. My 15yo son was doing 4th grade CLE math when we put him in 8th grade in public school. He did just fine.

Susan in TX

You're not "holding him back." You're teaching him what he needs to learn before he moves on to something else.

This is not the same thing as making a homeschooled child repeat a whole grade level. Your ds would still be a "fourth grader" in the fall.