Menu

How do you store + organize your kitchen spices?

There has to be a better way... I have half of a shelf full of spices and the 3-tiered shelf attached to the base cabinet door for spices. I still waste time searching for spices while cooking. Any advice on new storage ideas and/or organizing for easy access?

Oh, and I really don't want to put any on the counter.

ETA: oops, just saw a similar thread... I'll browse there...

Edited by bnbacademy

I have one of those plastic three step thingies across the bottom shelf of a large cabinet. I sort by cooking style. So, the cinn, allspice, clove, nutmeg, cake spice, vanilla etc is at one end, my Indian spices along the back behind them, the italian/tomato loving spices in one cluster, the peppers in another, although I keep the Aleppo pepper with the Italians because I put it in tomato sauce. There there are mixes for stirfries or dressing/dips. The more commonly used ones get front row. HTH

The only thing I've done that's helped is to keep the spices I use in almost every meal- things like garlic powder or basil- in their own separate little box for easy access.

So easy... thank you. Mine seem to mysteriously mix around the cupboard and my fear is that I will substitute chili powder for cinnamon one day.

My hubby made the shelves on one of my baking cupboards a little more shallow than usual, put heavier duty hinges on the doors, and build little shelves inside the doors. All my spices fit single file on the shelves. There's three shelves on each door so there's plenty of room for all my usual spices. The ones that I don't use regularly that don't fit on the shelves, I just put into the cupboard.

I have one of those plastic three step thingies across the bottom shelf of a large cabinet. I sort by cooking style. So, the cinn, allspice, clove, nutmeg, cake spice, vanilla etc is at one end, my Indian spices along the back behind them, the italian/tomato loving spices in one cluster, the peppers in another, although I keep the Aleppo pepper with the Italians because I put it in tomato sauce. There there are mixes for stirfries or dressing/dips. The more commonly used ones get front row. HTH

I often cluster them, but then find them scattered throughout on the next go round due to other cooks in the kitchen. What do you do about the varying heights of bought spice containers?

My hubby made the shelves on one of my baking cupboards a little more shallow than usual, put heavier duty hinges on the doors, and build little shelves inside the doors. All my spices fit single file on the shelves. There's three shelves on each door so there's plenty of room for all my usual spices. The ones that I don't use regularly that don't fit on the shelves, I just put into the cupboard.

That sounds great. I'm tempted to remove my door shelf, because it's not big enough for all the "usuals". It may save shelf space, but not time.

I have "stickies" on the inside of my cabinet doors - I think 18 on each side. each "sticky" holds one uniform sized spice bottle and I have about six across. (we buy bulk and refill). the spices are arranged alphabetically. it's really fast to find what I'm looking for and to put away. on the shelf I have turntables.

the bulk spices are on a harder to reach shelf and are also in alpha sorting.

this is the closest I found (or this one, but not adjustable) the thing I liked was I could adjust them according to how the cupboard door would close - no hitting shelves or hinges.

I have a cheap, two-tiered lazy Susan styled plastic thing from Walmart in my cabinet. I have always arranged the spices alphabetically, and anyone else in my family is lectured that they'd better return them to the same spot (!). It's holding 35 spices right now; it's about full. The round lazy-Susan style is not the best use of space (round in a square space), but it's kept my sanity for many years.

Do you have a drawer they will fit? I have a shallow, very wide drawer, and my spice jars lie down in it, labels up. Super-easy to see what is there and how much. When I have a duplicate, the new jar goes upside down (top to the front of the drawer) so I know to use the one that is right side up first. Before this kitchen remodel gave me such a fabulous drawer, I used shallow racks screwed to the inside of a couple of cabinet doors. I did not have as many spices at the time, though

Terri

Do you have a drawer they will fit? I have a shallow, very wide drawer, and my spice jars lie down in it, labels up. Super-easy to see what is there and how much. When I have a duplicate, the new jar goes upside down (top to the front of the drawer) so I know to use the one that is right side up first. Before this kitchen remodel gave me such a fabulous drawer, I used shallow racks screwed to the inside of a couple of cabinet doors. I did not have as many spices at the time, though

Terri

We have a spice drawer, too. My husband has a big drawer under the counter where he prepares the food. It's great not having 8 or 9 spice jars fall out of a cabinet every time it is open. I go in and alphabetize the spices every few months just because I'm OCD that way.

:001_smile:

I have "stickies" on the inside of my cabinet doors - I think 18 on each side. each "sticky" holds one uniform sized spice bottle and I have about six across. (we buy bulk and refill). the spices are arranged alphabetically. it's really fast to find what I'm looking for and to put away. on the shelf I have turntables.

the bulk spices are on a harder to reach shelf and are also in alpha sorting.

Thanks for this idea! I thought $39.99 seemed pretty high for little plastic clips, but I found pretty much the same thing on Amazon for $7.95 here. It looks like you get 4 strips that each hold 5, but can be broken into smaller sections to customize. Doing the happy dance and gonna give it a try! :hurray:

My spices (other than s&p) are in a basket above my cabinets. I'm pretty tall, but it's still a pain. We have no cabinet or counter space, though. (One double cabinet for plates, cups, bowls, the short double cabinet over the range, and a single skinny cabinet for sugar, flour, coffe filters, etc. That's it up top.)

Thank you for your ideas. Has anyone attached a spice rack of any kind to the bottom of the upper cabinet? I'm wondering if this hinged rack works.

I have this lady's idea bookmarked - I really really want to do this. Currently I have a tiered plastic thing in a cupboard with spices alphabetical, but wow what a mess.

I love that it frees up cupboards, etc. And it looks really nice with the pretty trim piece :001_smile:.

You never know. I made some pretty tasty mustard snaps last year.

:lol: My husband has done the same thing! It was when the spices were in baggies waiting to be put in their jars. He said it looked about the right color. :tongue_smilie: They actually weren't bad- just hot!

I have a large pantry. I keep my spice jars in plastic shoeboxes. They are grouped roughly by purpose. The top of each jar is labeled with a colored garage sale type dot sticker: green for herbs, yellow for baking, red for spicy. I write the name on the sticker. The color system makes it pretty easy to find what I am looking for. Commonly used bottles naturally work their way to the front of the boxes.

I acquired some small plastic containers from friends who own a restaurant. I love them because they stack! I buy my spices in bulk from Whole Foods. When we lived in rural Kansas, i bought my spices in bulk from Glenn's Bulk Foods near Hutchinson. Oh, man. I miss that store.

But anyway, here is a picture of my spice cabinet.