Menu

Movie suggestions for teen son and me?

My husband is gaming with some work buddies tonight, and my daughter will be out with a friend, too. This leaves my son and me alone for the evening.

We'd like to rent a movie and have snacks and hang out, but I'm kind of stumped for movie ideas.

He's 14, and we're not especially conservative about content (except that I don't like a lot of violence). He loves movies about spies and crime capers. We watched This Means War together a few weeks ago and enjoyed that one. So, something else in that general catergory would be great.

He's watched the new Sherlock Holmes flicks with his dad, and we've watched things like Sneakers and Charade and both versions of the Thomas Crown Affair, as well as To Catch and Thief and assorted other lighter Hitchcock films. We watched Entrapment on TV a couple of weeks ago. He liked all of these.

We have Redbox, Blockbuster Express and Netflix streaming at our disposal.

Suggetions?

Maybe a bit off-the-beaten-path, but we've recently enjoyed a couple of Norwegian films on Netflix instant - "Max Manus, Man of War" about Norway's WWII hero and "Norwegian Ninja" a spoof based on a Norwegian diplomat who was imprisoned for espionage during the Cold War.

Both are in Norwegian with English subtitles.

You said the Sherlock flicks. The ones with Robert Downey Jr or the Masterpiece Theater ones with Benedict Cumberbatch? Both are good. Ditto the Bourne films. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. The Great Escape. The Hunt for Red October.

You said the Sherlock flicks. The ones with Robert Downey Jr or the Masterpiece Theater ones with Benedict Cumberbatch? Both are good. Ditto the Bourne films. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. The Great Escape. The Hunt for Red October.

He's seen both the Sherlock versions, as well as Butch and Sundance and The Great Escape.

I just can't stand The Hunt for Red October, and since I have to be in the room, I'm excercising my veto.

Neither Netflix nor Redbox/Blockbuster Express have the Bourne stuff, unfortunately.

Sigh.

Ds16 and I watched The Hunt for Red October last night. I remembered it being a good movie but I forgot how much I had to concentrate to follow it. Still, it was very exciting. My son loved it. We watched it on Netflix streaming.

Oops, i just saw you didn't like this movie. Sorry! :)

You could always try a Pink Panther movie. Netflix streaming has those too.

Edited by Night Elf

Catch Me If You Can. The Great Escape. Shawshank Redemption (awesome movie).

eta: just saw that you have already watched great escape, what about Men in Black (I can't stand them, but dc love them)

I love Shawshank Redemption, but it's not my son's thing.

He's seen the rest.

Hmmm. It's possible we watch too many movies . . .

Here are some that both myself and my DS15 have enjoyed:

The Social Network

Stand and Deliver

The Blind Side

So I Married an Axe Murderer

Gifted Hands: The Ben Carson Story

Lord of the Rings Trilogy

Big

Ferris Bueller's Day Off

Mrs. Doubtfire

Remember the Titans

You might also consider starting a TV series -- we have both really enjoyed Lie to Me (can be violent), The X-Files (obviously creepy), Robin Hood (BBC version), Dr. Who, Psych, and Northern Exposure.