Menu

high blood pressure

so here i sit at 4:30 a.m. worried. i went into urgent care last saturday for a UTI. I am 50 and have only had one other UTI and that was about 8 years ago. I normally have low blood pressure but when they checked it at urgent care it was high 140 over something. i am so scared. i have thought about it a few times since last saturday but now i'm just really scared about it. i'm going to call my regular doctor tomorrow to make an appointment for a recheck and a physical but that doesn't help me now. could the uti/urgent care visit have caused it to go so high?

For me, medical issues can, and have, raised my bp. My normal is not amazing for my age of 43, but it's decent at 117/76. However, a severe uti, kidney infection, etc., has been known to significantly raise my bp. Once the infection is resolved, my bp comes back down to my normal. It's sensible to avoid assumption, so i would check with your doctor, as you're planning to do, but it is absolutely possible that the infection, combined with the pain of the uti, and the stress of the urgent care could cause the abnormal bp reading you received.

I don't have much time these days, but if you visit my blog (link below), I have quite a few posts on high blood pressure. HTH. :grouphug:

I'm embarrassed to say that I haven't felt particularly motivated to blog for a while. :glare:

so here i sit at 4:30 a.m. worried. i went into urgent care last saturday for a UTI. I am 50 and have only had one other UTI and that was about 8 years ago. I normally have low blood pressure but when they checked it at urgent care it was high 140 over something. i am so scared. i have thought about it a few times since last saturday but now i'm just really scared about it. i'm going to call my regular doctor tomorrow to make an appointment for a recheck and a physical but that doesn't help me now. could the uti/urgent care visit have caused it to go so high?

Yes, your concern could have raised your blood pressure. My DH was told he had high blood pressure that had to be attempted to be regulated with diet change over the course of a month or two. We lowered his sodium intake a TON because that was what they told us to do, and it worked!

Try not to worry too much, it'll just make it higher! Try adjusting your diet and see if it helps. :)

Yes, the stress of the urgent care visit could have affected your bp. Normally, it's tested at a "resting" rate, and even walking down the hall, hopping up on the table and answering questions could affect it.

Really, while it's good to keep an eye on it, 140 is not going to put you in danger of stroking out. Is there a local grocery or pharmacy (Walmart, CVS, Walgreens, etc.) nearby where you can check on your bp over the next few weeks as you wait for your dr. appt.?

It is also common for bp to rise as we age. You can google; I remember reading FDR's bp was extremely high--no doctor would let a patient walk around like that now.

Get it checked; don't fret about it, as stressing will likely keep it high.

:grouphug:

I bought a bp testing kit and tested my bp first thing in the morning for a week or so. I ended up having a trend to high blood pressure even after I got better (I was sick too when I first noticed it). Having information to give the doctor was very helpful. May I suggest (as I seem to be doing a lot of lately) taking magnesium? Magnesium is one thing that doctors give to lower blood pressure. Because it is an essential mineral that works at a cellular level it also helps your immune system. I like a supplement by Natural Vitality called CALM. I was on a doctor prescribed diuretic for a bit for high bp but now do not have to take it.

Mine has always been low but lately has been ticking up - now 130/80, when I am stressed goes up to 140/80. I am not pleased about this ! I have started taking CoQ10, vitamin D3 drops, eating something potassium-rich every day, and taking a magnesium supplement in the evening (Natural Calm). I am also incorporating berries or tart cherry juice, staying well hydrated, limiting salt, and I have switched from just walking on the treadmill to a bit of jogging to get my heart rate up. Oh and I almost forgot the square of dark chocolate daily - my favorite part.

http://www.aarp.org/health/medical-research/info-04-2011/6-foods-fight-high-blood-pressure.7.html

http://www.algaecal.com/potassium-foods-list.html

http://www.healthiertalk.com/natural-blood-pressure-regulator-017

http://altmedicine.about.com/cs/herbsvitaminsek/a/Hypertension.htm

Edited by laundrycrisis

Pain causes an increase of blood pressure. I went into the ob office when I was pregnant with my second with a horrific migraine. They took my blood pressure and it was 140 over something. I got scared about toxemia but they correctly surmised my bp was up because of the severe pain. They gave me pain medication and it went down as the pain went down.

140 is just barely in the "high" range. Blood pressure can go up and down several points within a few minutes. It can be affected by a full bladder (goes up), bp cuff that's too small (if your arm is over 13 inches and your provider used the regular not large cuff, the pressure can be high), whether you are talking during the bp (talking makes it go up. can't believe how many nurses talk to patients during bp), whether you've been sitting at least 5 minutes (if you just walked up a hill from the car into the reception, sat for a minute, and then were called back for bp, it could still be elevated from the exercise),etc. So call your doctor for an appointment, but absolutely no reason to be scared right now. Just barely high blood pressure is usually addressed through lifestyle changes: the DASH diet, exercise, weight loss.

Honestly, I would not worry. As other posters have stated, pain can make your bp increase. 140 is really not that alarming. Yes that is higher than normal, and not something you would want to continue, but could simply be due to your acute medical condition.

Just have it rechecked in a few days in your doctor's office. When I worked in ER, we did free blood pressure checks as well (no check in was necessary), maybe you can call and see if yours will do a quick re-check for you. Also, I would advise NOT to use a machine in retail stores, in your situation anyway. I am guessing it would be more accurate in a professional setting.

eta: Just want to clarify, I was talking about avoiding relying on the free standing machines in the stores (not the ones that you buy, which I wouldn't think would be necessary either at this point).

Edited by magnificent_baby

Even with bp meds, mine is a lot higher than that normally and I'm still alive :D

I've had a high bp (150-160 systolic, 100 to 110 diastolic) on a regular basis for over ten years. I'm 47 and NOT obese. You should be okay. I also agree that the increased reading is barely high and could be easily caused by many of the factors you mentioned, like the uti.

Yes, stress can increase your bp.

However, if you are older, are overweight and are sedentary...those are all pre-cursors to high blood pressure. The ideal blood pressure is now 115/75...a tad lower than the medical community used to recommend (120/80). So, if you find your bp consistently creeping over that, you can try and change it with dietary measures and exercise and see if that works.

For some people, it doesn't matter how thin or fit they are, their high blood pressure is genetic. In that case, your doctor can prescribe something to keep it under control. A mild diuretic is a good way to start. If your doc does prescribe that, go in and get your blood checked every few months. Diuretics can leach potassium out of your blood and that can be a problem. It's easily remedied with a diuretic + triamterene combo pill, but get the regular blood tests to keep an eye on it.

We bought an inexpensive sphygmomanometer kit from Walgreens. It has the cuff and stethoscope attached together. It is easy to use and accurate. It gets the same reading as all the doctors I've been to lately.
You can also get an automatic type that doesn't involve a stethoscope for around $40. The Kroger brand is manufactured by the name brand company, but sells for quite a bit less.

Technically, 140 is at the top of the normal range. 120 is ideal, but 140 is normal, especially with older patients. At least this is what I was told within the last month as I was diagnosed with hypertension (I've had a bit of a crash course in this lately). ER & urgent care visits definitely raise your bp, because you're there for some acute condition that is likely causing pain and/or stress. I wouldn't worry too much. Go in for a follow up with your dr, and discuss any lifestyle changes you might need to make to prevent high bp. If your dr says you do have high bp, they'll likely want to do fasting labs. Really though, if there is a concern, at least you're finding out early instead of having a problem go undiagnosed for years. 140 really isn't bad, especially at an urgent care clinic. So, I don't think you have anything to worry about. After all, we're not talking stroke range or really scary high (like around 200 over something). So, take a deep breath & relax.:001_smile:

• 9 years later...