Menu

Does CLE math run ahead of TT?

Here's the story:

Ds10 did all of TT3 and 1/2 of TT4 last year and was able to do at least two lessons a day and make above 90 on everything on his first try.

So, yesterday I decided to give him the CLE placement tests starting with level 100; he got a few pages into 300 and has basically stalled out. He's not recalling things that he did in TT and there are things in CLE that he hasn't covered.

Is anyone familiar with how they compare? After circling many items that he didn't know how to do, he came to me and said, "Does this '300' mean third grade? How come I don't know this stuff." Then he announced that TT didn't explain things well and he wanted to go back to "book math".

I also had my ds12 take the CLE placment tests. He's coming out of a year of virtual public school last year (6th grade) which used K12. The math he did had a lot of breadth and very little depth. Little was required of him and he could just listen to the lesson, pass a 5 or 6 question quiz with an 80, and move on. He's struggling at the 400 level CLE test (doesn't know how to convert fractions to decimals, for example) and was frustrated with the TT7 placement test as well.

I'm going to back up and run him through "Key To ...Fractions, Decimals, Percents" and do some Math Mammoth work on specific skills and then go from there.

I guess I want to know if CLE would be a better choice for depth of skill so that they will know what they are doing and not feel inadequately trained.

:confused::confused:

We must be having the same revelation! I have one dd finishing TT5 and I have to go back to CLE 4 for her to figure out what is going on and my other dd is halfway through TT3 as a 2nd grader and will have to restart CLE 2 because she hasn't been taught borrowing! I have been a huge proponent of TT....until today. My daughters are not amused at having to "redo" grade levels, but we will be switching to CLE for math...and NOT switching in the future.

Um, yeah. :grouphug:

To remediate my oldest, I took her through Math Mammoth 1-4a and then switched to CLE 500. Every day we did 2-3 lessons of CLE (the new info of each lesson with selected problems from the review) in order to finish level 600 by the end of 6th grade. She will do CLE 700 this year.

I love CLE math.

Nearly everything runs ahead of TT.

That's been our experience.

We have tried TT and she really liked it. However, I became less and less impressed as I watched the lessons teach algorithms with very little conceptual understanding. My dd can (fairly) easily memorize formulas, and do well in a program like TT. However, I pulled the plug on it when I realized she was just. not. learning. math.

She now does CLE (and LOF for fun) at several levels below TT. CLE is much more challenging for her, but very worth the extra effort IMHO.

She now does CLE (and LOF for fun) at several levels below TT. CLE is much more challenging for her, but very worth the extra effort IMHO.

Hi Adrienne!

We use CLE. We are a bit behind because we have used 4 different math programs in the pursuit to find the "right" one, and are back to CLE permanently. I think we are building very solid math understanding. Trust where CLE places your kiddo and go for it.

Guest Mom2ThreeBoyz

Well, crud.....this thread has me hoping I lose a few eBay auctions.

I have not read anything negative about TT until now. Everyone has raved about it but I care about the bones of the program. I want my kids to actually know math skills, not be entertained and allowed to skirt through lessons without actual knowledge.

Part of the reason I liked TT was because I have 2 boys who are starting HSing after being in PS since Kinder. I liked the entertainment value of a computer based math curriculum.

I am looking into CLE and I am impressed with the price so far!

One problem....I had my boys take placement tests and both scored like the would be on grade level (3 and 4). I wonder if PS has them a little behind CLE and I should start with TT?

For the last couple of years, my dd used CLE as her main program and TT as a supplement (because she likes it). I believe she used TT 2 years ahead of grade level and CLE pretty much on grade level. So she used TT 5 with CLE 3 and TT 6 with CLE 4.

Lisa

Hi Adrienne!

We use CLE. We are a bit behind because we have used 4 different math programs in the pursuit to find the "right" one, and are back to CLE permanently. I think we are building very solid math understanding. Trust where CLE places your kiddo and go for it.

:iagree: You can double up on lessons to get them through the lower levels of CLE Math depending on their abilities. DS has almost complete CLE math Level 400 since the beginning of April. He will be done in about a week or two. So it has taken him about 3 1/2 months to do this level without skipping any problems.

TT is definitely "behind" CLE. My dd finished 1/2 of CLE 300 and she tested into TT 5. That being said, I started her in TT 4, and I don't know that she would have been quite read for TT 5.

TT is just different from CLE. It was designed for homeschoolers. There's no drill, and CLE has a lot of drill that did nothing for my dd. CLE moved way too fast for my dd, and she wasn't retaining much. It was super frustrating for both of us. She is doing much better with TT.

That's why there are so many math curriculums out there ;).

I don't think CLEs 300 or 400 would necessarily match up to a public school's 3rd or 4th grade curriculum. For instance, I'm pretty sure they're not converting fractions to decimals in 4th grade around here, though we did just do that in TT6. If it were my child wanting to return to book math, I would certainly let him and accept CLE's placement test results.

Well, crud.....this thread has me hoping I lose a few eBay auctions.

I have not read anything negative about TT until now. Everyone has raved about it but I care about the bones of the program. I want my kids to actually know math skills, not be entertained and allowed to skirt through lessons without actual knowledge.

Part of the reason I liked TT was because I have 2 boys who are starting HSing after being in PS since Kinder. I liked the entertainment value of a computer based math curriculum.

I am looking into CLE and I am impressed with the price so far!

One problem....I had my boys take placement tests and both scored like the would be on grade level (3 and 4). I wonder if PS has them a little behind CLE and I should start with TT?

TT seems to be one that has people very divided. For the most part people love it or hate it. Behind/not behind, that all has to do with the arbitrary numbers assigned to things. Just put your kids in the program that will work best for them, at the level they test into for that program. Kids learn in different ways, and have different strengths and weaknesses. I am in the love category, we tried lots of programs before we found TT. DS just got his tests back. In the 5 areas of math that they tested at he was below level in 4 of the 5 categories at the beginning of the year. After a year of TT and LOF he is below level in 1 category, at level in 3, and above level in 1. That is a pretty good catch up for one year. In my opinion it is because TT is the right style and program for my kid and the way that he learns. However, I don't think it will be the right program for dd, she learns in a whole different way.