Menu

On stereotypes of Christian fiction (cc, if it wasn't clear)

I avoided it for years because I had the same idea. The few books I'd read were syrupy. A couple of months ago, a friend loaned me the first book of Ted Dekker's Circle series (Green). It was a great book for this sci-fi-loving girl and I quickly bought the other three.

Edited by Dinsfamily
HTML editing issues

That was an interesting article!

I must admit, I've avoided Christian fiction for so long, I can't remember the last one I've read. Probably a Peretti book, but even his last few books haven't been fantastic, IMO.

Maybe I'll go add some titles to my PaperBackSwap list! :D

I can't see the entire article without subscribing and paying money. Is there a way to read just the article without subscribing to the whole shebang?

I haven't read Christian fiction in a long time. I did devour a Randy Alcorn book a few years ago, I wish I could remember what it was called, I would read it again!

I do love Christian fiction. I tend towards historical fiction (I love Gilbert Morris) and suspense/mystery. I used to read more secular fiction, but I got tired of the graphic violence and explicit sex. There are some authors who have predictable plot lines, but there are many who are great authors with wonderful stories!

The Francine Rivers trilogy about first century Christians-A Voice in the Wilderness, maybe?? is incredible!

Maybe you mean her Mark of the Lion series? I do remember that it was great!

A Voice in the Wind, #1

Echo In The Darkness, #2

As Sure As The Dawn, #3

I can't see the entire article without subscribing and paying money. Is there a way to read just the article without subscribing to the whole shebang?

I haven't read Christian fiction in a long time. I did devour a Randy Alcorn book a few years ago, I wish I could remember what it was called, I would read it again!

Hmmm, I didn't have to subscribe to read the whole article...

Anyone else have this issue?

Weird. This is what's at the bottom of the little blurb of the article:

"ACCESS THIS ARTICLE IMMEDIATELY AND RECEIVE ONE MONTH OF ONLINE ACCESS AND TWO ISSUES OF WORLD'S PRINT EDITION—ALL FOR JUST $5. SEE THE NEW SUBSCRIBER BOX BELOW.

IF YOU ARE ALREADY A PRINT OR ONLINE-ONLY SUBSCRIBER, PLEASE LOG IN BELOW.

The complete article is ~999 words long"

I didn't have to subscribe, either.

If it makes a difference, I'm using Internet Explorer 8.0 as the browser. I wouldn't think that would matter, though!

"ACCESS THIS ARTICLE IMMEDIATELY AND RECEIVE ONE MONTH OF ONLINE ACCESS AND TWO ISSUES OF WORLD'S PRINT EDITION—ALL FOR JUST $5. SEE THE NEW SUBSCRIBER BOX BELOW.

I'm not seeing that at all. I can read the whole article. :confused: ETA: I'm using Firefox.

Tony, thanks for posting the article.

I don't see anthing about subscribing, and it seems to end with

Novelists shouldn't be heavy-handed, but in the spinning of an engaging story, spiritual themes can emerge organically and believably, swaying readers' heads and hearts

What is the last sentence you can read of the article?

"I've witnessed firsthand these writers' dedication to improving their craft. Some of their work, in my opinion, is breathtakingly good."

I am on Safari on the iPad, that may be the problem. I will check it out on the pc later.

I still can't do Karen Kingsbury or anything Amish but I recently LOVED the Gods and Kings series by Lynn Austin. I will be looking up some of the authors he mentions. Thanks for posting!

:iagree::iagree:

There are so many that are predictable, boring, etc. Loved the Lynn Austin series and Francine Rivers series though!

"I've witnessed firsthand these writers' dedication to improving their craft. Some of their work, in my opinion, is breathtakingly good."

I am on Safari on the iPad, that may be the problem. I will check it out on the pc later.

Check your PMs.

Here's another thanks for this. I have avoided Christian fiction for years myself, and for my kids. (We read one middle-grades book, several years ago, that was supposedly Christian fiction. The only thing Christian was that the family prayed once. The writing and plotting were terrible.)

Sometimes I think "Christian" is a codeword for "safe" - no sex, language or violence. Unfortunately, often (ime) that means no plot, no decent writing, etc.

I will check these out!

My issue with this article is that Alcorn combats "outsider" or non-Christian stereotypes of what Christian fiction is like with the stereotypes that CHRISTIANS have created about what Christian fiction is. I get lists of recommendations all the time--which is essentially what the article is rather than a defense of Christian literature--and usually they don't live up to the hype. (It's perfectly fine that some people like them; I just usually find them lacking in some way.)

There is a LOT of garbage! Alcorn says, "Christian romance novels encourage purity and committed marriages. When plots lag, many secular authors inject gratuitous sex or violence. Because Christian novelists don't have that option, many learn to portray romantic attraction and character conflict more skillfully." I would strongly disagree with that. LOL More skillfully than they USED to be? Maybe. And Christian romances may focus on romantic attraction to the point that young Christian women fantasize about a highly romanticized relationship (and courtship, and wedding...) that is totally unrealistic. Pining for what we don't have--a whirlwind adventure where we're "rescued" and that leads to a marriage where romance never seems to wane? No thanks. It's typical for Christian women to think that marriage is the be all and end all of life; wonder where we get that? LOL :confused:

I think there's an assumption that Christians usually want their novels to be wrought with Christian themes and religious undertones, etc. I do NOT. On occasion I read "Christian fiction" but I'm always prepared to grit my teeth and push through the unrealistic dialogue, cheesy struggles to a salvation moment, and characters that don't seem to live in the real world. This is NOT always the case, of course. I've read some good Christian fiction. Most of the time it is not overtly Christian, however, and that's what makes it good, IMO.

I think Christian writers who feel an obligation (or feel that God has led them) to write every story with the gospel woven in somehow or create an allegory with Christian themes of redemption, etc. have a very difficult task and that's why I'm not as hard on them as it may seem in this post. LOL ;)

• 2 weeks later...
I was so happy to see Stephen Lawhead mentioned! I'm finishing Byzantium for the second time, and loved the Pendragon series, the King Raven Trilogy (you'll see Robin Hood in a whole new way!), and the Celtic Crusades.

These look really interesting. Would they be appropriate for a fantasy-loving 10 yo with very strong reading skills?

I read Lawhead's Song of Albion trilogy sometime around that age, perhaps a year or two older. I really liked them. Same level as appropriateness as Lord of the Rings, if I recall correctly.

Thank you. He has read Tolkien. I have a hard time keeping him in books, especially appropriate fantasy books. Maybe I'll give these a try.

I can read the whole article without any problems. I am using Chrome.

I have read some Christian fiction and I agree that much of it is sugar-coated, preachy and predictable. I do prefer books without sex and very graphic violence. I tend to read young adult books to avoid it.

I read Game of Thrones and I found it very cringey.

I would certainly be willing to give Christian books another try. I will keep an eye on this thread for suggestions.

I was so happy to see Stephen Lawhead mentioned! I'm finishing Byzantium for the second time, and loved the Pendragon series, the King Raven Trilogy (you'll see Robin Hood in a whole new way!), and the Celtic Crusades.

I read his King Raven trilogy last year and am reading Byzantium right now. While there is a lot of "eh" Christian fiction out there, I do agree that it gets a bad rap. Francine Rivers Mark of the Lion trilogy and Redeeming Love are great. I also liked Ted Dekker's Circle trilogy, but absolutely hated his Immanuel's Veins, enough that I probably wouldn't pick up another book by him.

I read Randy Alcorn's Safely Home last year and it was excellent. One of the best books I've ever read.