Menu

I got a new job!

I've been looking since January for a job that would give me more hours (moving from 12 to 28) and more money (I was on minimum wage before). I start tomorrow as the administrator in a small sales office. The previous admin is taking me through the procedures.

Husband has been looking for a job for over a year, so the extra money will be very welcome. It's about a half-hour commute and I can fit it around the boys' school hours.

For anyone who is wondering how one might move on from home education: the first thing I did was to take the first opportunity that came along - in my case, running the village post office. That started to give me a track record after many years of not working formally. Once I was settled in, I signed up for a computer course so that employers would believe that I was IT competent, despite being 49. Then I took really good advice on writing applications and read a lot of books about CVs and interviews. The job that I finally got I researched quite a lot and was able to write an informed letter about.

Once I'm settled into this job, I plan to do more training - probably to be a legal secretary. It pays more and broadens my appeal. I hope to work for another twenty years, so I want to keep moving up.

Laura

:hurray: Congratulations!

You're certainly an inspiration, you make it sound all so easy :001_smile:. I'm sure the intelligence and determination that made you so successful at homeschooling were just as important as the steps you took to reach your goal.

Well done :001_smile:.

:hurray: Congratulations!

You're certainly an inspiration, you make it sound all so easy :001_smile:. I'm sure the intelligence and determination that made you so successful at homeschooling were just as important as the steps you took to reach your goal.

Well done :001_smile:.

And when I look back at my first applications - I have a big fat file of all the jobs I didn't get - I cringe. It took me ages to work out that the potential employer is a customer. They don't want to hear about what you have done, they want to know how you will help them sleep well at nights. You have to soothe them, reassure them that you will solve all their problems.

Laura

Congratulations!

I hope you LOVE your new job but you will always appear in my mind as Laura Timmins working in the Candleford PO when I see your name here. :lol:

I wish you the best!

:iagree:Except I'll think of you as Dorcas 'cause I find Laura annoying. :tongue_smilie: Congratulations!