Menu

Pumping ?s

For those who exclusively pumped, may I ask how long you went? How often during the day? Was there a time when you finally had enough of being attached to a machine? If so, was there guilt involved?

I've been pumping for 30 minutes every 2.5 hours and I.am.so.done. This week I've decided to pump every 3.5 hours instead and am loving the longer break. My dc think all I do is pump and it rather feels like that is the truth. Part of me wants to just stop now and enjoy what is left of summer, and hold my babies more (that's what gets me the most...seeing others feed my babies and knowing that I can't since they are often eating while I'm pumping).

But the guilt...I hate guilt. It makes me grumpy which makes me eat which makes me feel guilty which makes me grumpy...you get the idea.

I think I need encouragement to keep going for just a few more months. My goal was 1 year especially since I've never been able to nurse past 8 months. The thought of pumping for another two months, however, is wearisome.

I started out at every 2 ish hours. After I think 2 months I went to every 3 ish hours. Another month later I went to every 4ish hours and maintained every 4-5 hours until dd was 7.5 months old. I drank mother's milk tea and took fennugreek to help keep supply up and I used a double pump to cutdown on time.

I called it quits at 7.5ish months old. I did feel some guilt, but as she became more on the go, I needed to be also. You just do what you can. It is hard to exclusively pump. You really are doing twice the work.

I was dry at 3mths with both.

ds I pumped on my breaks at work, every 4 hrs or so, and then a couple times after work. He wouldn't latch on so I couldn't nurse him.

dd I did the same but nursed her at night. I went dry at the same time with her.

I tried meds, water rest, over pumping etc but I dried up anyways.

I have a few friends that have exclusively pumped. One made it 6 months, one a full year. I think the one that did a full year started cutting back the pumping around the 8 month mark, and that was fine because they were eating solids/yogurt at that point, so didn't need as much milk.

No matter what you do, don't feel guilty. Yes, breastmilk is important, but so is bonding with your children, especially after the traumatic birth experience you had. If pumping is keeping you from spending time with your kids, I would say cut back the pumping. And I'm someone whose children have never tasted formula, nurses for several years per child etc. I'm AM the hippy breastfeeding freak, and I'm saying that time with your kids is more important than what kind of milk they get.

Also, totally out there, but is donor milk an option? In my are we have a program that actually screens women (blood tests) that donate, but I know this can be a touchy subject.

Just a thought.

I have a few friends that have exclusively pumped. One made it 6 months, one a full year. I think the one that did a full year started cutting back the pumping around the 8 month mark, and that was fine because they were eating solids/yogurt at that point, so didn't need as much milk.

No matter what you do, don't feel guilty. Yes, breastmilk is important, but so is bonding with your children, especially after the traumatic birth experience you had. If pumping is keeping you from spending time with your kids, I would say cut back the pumping. And I'm someone whose children have never tasted formula, nurses for several years per child etc. I'm AM the hippy breastfeeding freak, and I'm saying that time with your kids is more important than what kind of milk they get.

Also, totally out there, but is donor milk an option? In my are we have a program that actually screens women (blood tests) that donate, but I know this can be a touchy subject.

Just a thought.

I pumped exclusively with my first. About every three hours for four months. But we were getting ready to move, and I just couldn't do it anymore. There was guilt in making the decision, but once it was made, all I felt was relief. I hated being attached to that machine! And I wasn't getting as much at that point, either.

I think it's amazing that women can keep pumping long term, and they have my respect, but I also think there's nothing wrong with saying "enough" when you're done.

I pumped exclusively for 1 year for my preemie twins. By the time they were about 8 months, I was down to pumping 4 times a day (none in the middle of the night). I did not have a supply problem. My goal had been to get them to 1 year corrected age (1 year from their due date), but I could not make it 12+ more weeks. I figured 12 months with that pump was pretty darn good. So, I totally understand how you feel. Maybe if you cut back to 4 times a day, you will feel like you can make it to the 1 year mark. If you can't, keep in mind that you pumped far longer than most and you should be proud of pumping as long as you have. No guilt.

I didn't pump exclusively, but I want to say I am very impressed that you have been able to do it for 10 months! That is wonderful! I think one thing you could do is to cut back slowly over the next few weeks so you get more of a break. That's what you'd be doing anyway if you were nursing. Maybe go another week of 3.5 hours, then move it back to 4 hours and do that for 2 weeks and see how it goes. Maybe you could do it for 3 weeks, or else cut back to 4.5 hours after the two weeks. Etc. until they are a year old. Even if you are only pumping 3x per day at that point, that is still great for them and wouldn't be so difficult for you.

Good luck and good job!

Also, totally out there, but is donor milk an option?
I've had donor milk from a close friend but it is not enough for both babies which is why I was pumping every 2.5 hours - to keep ahead of when the babies ate. I could probably find more donors but there is that guilt thing again that says I know I can pump and provide at least something so that's what I should do.

My goal had been to get them to 1 year corrected age (1 year from their due date), but I could not make it 12+ more weeks.
Beginning of October was my original goal as that is when I had expected them to be born but the thought of going that much longer is wearisome! I'm worried about their digestive systems, still, and wanted to keep them on bmilk as long as possible since formula isn't always friendly to them.

Do you expect that you'll ever be able to breastfeed them?
I've tried and they just won't. It makes me teary-eyed just thinking about not being able to. :(

Thank you all for taking the time to reply. I don't feel like a hero at all, I feel like a tired mama who can't seem to decide what is the right thing to do. But this appeals very much to me:

No matter what you do, don't feel guilty. Yes, breastmilk is important, but so is bonding with your children, especially after the traumatic birth experience you had. If pumping is keeping you from spending time with your kids, I would say cut back the pumping.