Menu

s/o Scientology, Personality Disorders

Was just wondering.

I know Scientology doesn't believe (is that the right term? If not, I apologize) in psychiatry.

So my question is, when it comes to ppl who otherwise are understood to have a personality disorder, how are they viewed by Scientologists? Just plain evil?

My question?

OK, lemme 'splain.

According to the DSM IV, my mother has 5/7 criteria to be a sociopath. Only 3 are required to be dx'd.

Scientologists do not believe that psychiatry has any validity.

So, when dealing w/a person like my mother, or others (ie NPD, HPD) how would they be viewed? As simply evil? Or is there a different perspective?

I was just reading up on Scientology a bit. They do something called Introspection Rundown.

Here is a person who died during an IR.

From the article:

McPherson was put on the Introspection Rundown after her accident on 18 November.[3] It was her second time on the rundown, her first time having been in June. Her appearance after death was that of someone who had been denied water and food for quite some time, being both underweight and severely dehydrated. Additionally, her skin was covered with over a hundred insect bites, presumably from cockroaches.[4][5] She was locked in a room for 17 days. The Church has repeatedly denied any wrongdoing, and now makes members sign a waiver before Introspection Rundown specifically stating that they (or anyone on their behalf) will not bring any legal action against the organization over injury or death.[6]

:crying: That makes me so sad.

Plus, how could a waiver under such situations hold up in court? Someone in a psychotic break could not consent in their own mind.

And what about children? I think about ds and his PTSD, ODD, mood disorder...what do they do with children like this? Is therapy allowed at all? What about ADHD treatment? Does that fall under medical by chance? Just curious, not bashing, just trying to understand.

Could it be that scientology is still rather small and maybe not had a lot of these situations?

I have a niece who received no speech or physical therapy. She is now an adult who can not talk in a way that others can understand. We won't even talk about her social skills.

The last I heard, she was working at a Scientology boarding school. Dh said her parents were as proud as MIL would have been if his sister had become a nun.

After reading about John Travolta's son (and Narconon prior to that) I can't bring myself to read any more about their, umm, interesting "beliefs" wrt psychiatry, addiction and neuroscience. :glare:

Edited by nmoira

Does anyone remember the hubbub where Tom Cruise said some things about Brooke Shields (who was public about her battle with post-partum depression?). I think they eventually made nice.

ETA: Ah, here is a bit about what Tom said/believed.

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/8427947/ns/today-entertainment/t/brooke-shields-blasts-cruises-ridiculous-rant/

Edited by snickelfritz

I don't know how to say much without completely bashing Scientology, which I assume would be against the board rules, but the way they deal with mental illnesses is just really sad.

I agree that it is difficult to discuss without breaking board rules. Scientology is going to be an easy target here because there are likely very, very few members of that faith who could provide any perspective on the question. I have no interest and no investment in Scientology, but it seems to be one of those topics that only serves to stir up a lot of mockery.

I think threads like this do no service to the board and that a person should google a little (or a lot) instead. The same goes for any other very sensitive, "hot button" questions about any religions.

I agree that it is difficult to discuss without breaking board rules. Scientology is going to be an easy target here because there are likely very, very few members of that faith who could provide any perspective on the question. I have no interest and no investment in Scientology, but it seems to be one of those topics that only serves to stir up a lot of mockery.

I think threads like this do no service to the board and that a person should google a little (or a lot) instead. The same goes for any other very sensitive, "hot button" questions about any religions.

I'm sorry. It truly wasn't my intention.

I was thinking that if such things (ie sociopathy) were simply labelled evil, I could totally understand that perspective. I wasn't intending for any bashing, etc to happen.

I did a brief google, but didn't find any answers, so thought I'd ask.

Sorry for any ill feelings being stirred up. I was genuinely interested in the answer.

Wouln't someone whose behavior was extreme enough to warrant a mental health professional's diagnosis of sociopathy be considered evil regardless of one's attitude toward psychiatry or their particular religion's viewpoint of psychiatry? For purposes of this question, I am not attaching any sort of supernatural connotations to the word "evil."