Menu

Do you/would you wear the F word on your clothes?

Nope. I almost never say it (aloud) and would not wear a shirt with it on. I am not a prude, but don't enjoy profanity. People around me know I am either very tired or very irritated if they hear me say that something s*cks or sh*t.

As far as having an acronym on the shirt, if there really wasn't room to interpret the acronym any other way, I wouldn't do that either.

If it's not something that I would be ok with my kids saying, than it's not something I'm going to wear, and the f word is definitely not something I would want my kids to say. Words have meaning, and the meaning of that word is pretty crude.

I actually don't like wearing words on my clothes anyway though as I like to dress in a way that looks a little professional (just my style).

No way...and no way one of my kids would get away with it either. No matter what their age, if they live under my roof, that stuff is not acceptable. I cringe when I see people wearing shirts with cuss words, and crude sayings. My brother on the other hand has no issue with it. His (14 yr old at the time) son wore a shirt to my parents' 25th anniversary party that had an arrow pointing to his face, that read "Your mom was here." My boys were 11 and 15 at the time and were floored. They didn't even want to hang around with him for fear of people thinking they were crude too.

:willy_nilly:

What is wrong with your brother!

Oh sure. A t-shirt with the 'F' word on it would go nicely with my long skirt and headcovering at this weekend's homechurch fellowship, dontcha think?

:lol:

No. No I wouldn't wear a t-shirt with that word on it. Or even the letter 'F' that *stood* for that word. Nor would anyone living under my roof.

But I'm not at ALL shocked that other people would.

I'm not a big words on t-shirt kid of person, but I think there are far, far more offensive things (on t-shirts, signs, bumper stickers, and coming out of the mouths of folks I otherwise respected) that I have seen and heard in the last year and a half. Not a single one of them had anything to do with "profanity" or swearing either.

I don't think it's a sign of a small vocabulary and sometimes I do think there are situations and sentiments for which they are entirely justified. In this case I get it and I don't have a problem with someone wearing it around my kids.

I'm not a big words on t-shirt kid of person, but I think there are far, far more offensive things (on t-shirts, signs, bumper stickers, and coming out of the mouths of folks I otherwise respected) that I have seen and heard in the last year and a half. Not a single one of them had anything to do with "profanity" or swearing either.

I don't think it's a sign of a small vocabulary and sometimes I do think there are situations and sentiments for which they are entirely justified. In this case I get it and I don't have a problem with someone wearing it around my kids.

:iagree: I agree that there are circumstances in which it is justified-and in this case I personally agree with the sentiment. I still think that for some people who use profanity all the time it is a crutch. IMO this is not the case here. I am more offended by poverty and injustice than profanity.

No, I wouldn't wear it. And I wouldn't like (or "allow," although as they are older the concept is losing its punch) my kid to wear the shirt.

But I do think it's an amusing way to make a point. I just wouldn't be comfortable wearing it.

I don't have much against profanity, to be truthful, in certain situations.

I do think it's tacky and rude to shout in public or wear on shirts things you know other people may find deeply offensive just because you feel like it. I think there's a time and a place for strong language. But just because you think it's funny? I think that's rude.

Just to give some context for my position, I'll mention that my daughter is currently rehearsing a show that we're referring to as "a dark little comedy about child abuse and neglect." She has the lead. We had to sign a release allowing her to take the role, because she's not yet 18. We didn't hesitate to sign. It's a great part for her, and I think the show has valid and thought-provoking things to say.

But I had to run lines with her a few days ago, and I had real trouble actually reading some of those words out loud. I get why they are there. I don't object to them. I just don't feel comfortable saying them, myself most of the time.

I wouldn't wear a shirt with swear words on it (or abbreviation/insinuations) whether or not I supported the idea behind it.

I don't necessarily begrudge people wearing it and would prefer it in abbreviated form versus written out in full if they must. I am saddened though that it's promoted officially by the Office of the President on his campaign site. It seems tacky to me and I would rather they stay classier.